je suis charlie

• Start date
  • Replies 291 Comments
  • Views 15,716 Views
In the late 70s the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society(HIAS) of the US helped this little refugee boy named Sergey Brin, whose family was being discriminated and persecuted because of their religion, resettled in the US. While in university at Stanford in the 90s he went on to found this little company by the name of Google, now worth $527 billion dollars employing 55,000 people.

HIAS now. http://www.hias.org/faq-hias-response-refugee-crisis-europe

Amen.

MrX
I don't know. I think most that go on a shooting spree have some ideology running wild in their head.

Ok, what was the ideology of the guy in aurora who shot up the movie theater? Most of the school shootings, same thing.

smh. You post a video of a bunch of good people helping refugees, and when it turns out they belong to an American Christian organization, then instead of admitting there are a lot of good Christians, your point is that some Christians want to send them back?

The majority of Americans oppose letting them in. Does that make most of America bad people? If they broke it down, I would imagine of the minority that want them in, the majority are Christian. My issue is with you holding them to a higher standard and focusing on the negative rather than the positive that they do....even after YOU posted the SP video...that Samarian's Purse, not Sport's Prescription btw. bwhahaha. Ok.

I can't argue the merits of Christians anymore. You did it for me with the video anyway. No matter what I say, and what numbers I could present, it wouldn't be good enough. You claimed very few Christians were actually did any good. There are 100,000 SP volunteers in the U.S. alone. Is every Christian handling this right by your definition? no. But to say that few Christians actually do any real work is just absurd.

In the late 70s the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society(HIAS) of the US helped this little refugee boy named Sergey Brin, whose family was being discriminated and persecuted because of their religion, resettled in the US. While in university at Stanford in the 90s he went on to found this little company by the name of Google, now worth $527 billion dollars employing 55,000 people.

HIAS now. http://www.hias.org/faq-hias-response-refugee-crisis-europe
Wow. I didn't know that. That's an awesome story.

Ok, what was the ideology of the guy in aurora who shot up the movie theater? Most of the school shootings, same thing.

Do I have to look up every shooting you're going to throw at me?

If someone goes on a mass shooting, they have probably developed a hatred for society for one reason or another, right?

Pulling up one example of a Muslim immigrant who shot some people in the context of all of the shootings we have does not make a point.

IAG
smh. You post a video of a bunch of good people helping refugees, and when it turns out they belong to an American Christian organization, then instead of admitting there are a lot of good Christians, your point is that some Christians want to send them back?

The majority of Americans oppose letting them in. Does that make most of America bad people? If they broke it down, I would imagine of the minority that want them in, the majority are Christian. My issue is with you holding them to a higher standard and focusing on the negative rather than the positive that they do....even after YOU posted the SP video...that Samarian's Purse, not Sport's Prescription btw. bwhahaha. Ok.

I can't argue the merits of Christians anymore. You did it for me with the video anyway. No matter what I say, and what numbers I could present, it wouldn't be good enough. You claimed very few Christians were actually did any good. There are 100,000 SP volunteers in the U.S. alone. Is every Christian handling this right by your definition? no. But to say that few Christians actually do any real work is just absurd.

The vast majority of Christians want to send them back. The majority that want the refugees to have refuge in America are liberal - not your typical Christian. The entire Bible Belt of states has voiced their opposition to allowing the refugees into their states. I am not holding them to a higher standard. I am holding them to an equal standard - even though they often tout their moral superiority. I don't think 1 in 2300 (100,000 out of 230,000,000 Christians) is that many people affecting positive change, but I did admit that there are SOME that are doing good - only to be undone by the overwhelming majority that aren't.

MrX
Do I have to look up every shooting you're going to throw at me?

If someone goes on a mass shooting, they have probably developed a hatred for society for one reason or another, right?

Pulling up one example of a Muslim immigrant who shot some people in the context of all of the shootings we have does not make a point.

It just seems like a lot of them lately are from radical Islamic teachings. The one in Ottawa was also. Maybe the news is making a point of Isis more than it needs to be, idk.

The vast majority of Christians want to send them back. The majority that want the refugees to have refuge in America are liberal - not your typical Christian. The entire Bible Belt of states has voiced their opposition to allowing the refugees into their states. I am not holding them to a higher standard. I am holding them to an equal standard - even though they often tout their moral superiority. I don't think 1 in 2300 (100,000 out of 230,000,000 Christians) is that many people affecting positive change, but I did admit that there are SOME that are doing good - only to be undone by the overwhelming majority that aren't.

What percentage should it be? We already are the 2nd most generous country, to a country who gives out rice to monks.

What percentage should it be? We already are the 2nd most generous country, to a country who gives out rice to monks.

At least a majority for people who claim to be something that is supposed to embody that sort of compassion. We're the richest country in the history of the world. We should be number one - by a long shot.

The majority of Americans as a whole does not approve. It's not just the bible belt. Massachusetts won't accept them! Where do you get the stats that the majority that want them gone are Christians? Because keeping them here is liberal view and liberals help people and conservatives don't? That's a leap. If you want to talk about all talk, I think it's more applicable to the liberals than the conservative Christians who are actually the ones that put their money where their mouths are. Here is a great comparison of my city to San Francisco which is admittedly liberal.

http://townhall.com/columnists/johnstossel/2006/12/06/who_gives_to_charity/page/full

It's an old ABC segment, but I use it because it's personal and it's relative. And because I never turn down an opportunity to tout the 605.

100,000 btw applies only to that one organization. I bet it's still more than atheistswithgoodvalues has working to help them.

I don't see how that is relevant. Nowhere does that say that most of the people that want to keep them are non-Christians.

And I would be interested in your response to the above. Talking about helping the poor and helping the poor are not the same thing. As you pointed out.

I'm going to shovel now. And if you knew me you would know there is no way I'm going to shovel now. However I can't sit around having intellectual conversations all day like you liberals like to do. I have to get something done. Talk is cheap.

;)

The US has had an active population growth strategy for decades now.

US census in 2010 208 million people.

Current US population 322 million people.

14 million people in 5 years, from 2000 to 2010 it grew by 27 million, at current rate it will surpass 30 million people growth mark by the next census. By design. 10,000 Syrian refugees is nothing.

CLH0sem.png

IAG
I don't see how that is relevant. Nowhere does that say that most of the people that want to keep them are non-Christians.

And I would be interested in your response to the above. Talking about helping the poor and helping the poor are not the same thing. As you pointed out.

I'm going to shovel now. And if you knew me you would know there is no way I'm going to shovel now. However I can't sit around having intellectual conversations all day like you liberals like to do. I have to get something done. Talk is cheap.

;)

Look at red vs. blue and those groups who traditionally align themselves with those parties.

Also, that article wasn't very good at considering some other things. California has a much more supportive system through government support and taxes than most other states for the poor and needy. Liberals support those things and pay for it with tax dollars. Liberals make about 6% more in income on average and the state taxes that go towards those programs are vastly higher in California than South Dakota.

So Christians can't take credit for the work of Samaritan Purse, a Christian organization, but liberals can justify not giving to charity because they pay into a welfare state? They can justify being cheap because they pay more taxes to pay for entitlements? The individual liberals are taking credit for government policy? You can't be serious.

Can they write off those taxes as a charitable donation on their schedule C?

4x more. Conservatives give 4x as much. They even give more blood! Who reallycares?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I'm punch drunk. And I didn't shovel...but then again we knew that. I got nothing else done either. Damn GL.

IAG
So Christians can't take credit for the work of Samaritan Purse, a Christian organization, but liberals can justify not giving to charity because they pay into a welfare state? They can justify being cheap because they pay more taxes to pay for entitlements? The individual liberals are taking credit for government policy? You can't be serious.

Can they write off those taxes as a charitable donation on their schedule C?

4x more. Conservatives give 4x as much. They even give more blood! Who reallycares?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I'm punch drunk. And I didn't shovel...but then again we knew that. I got nothing else done either. Damn GL.

Nope. I just don't think either justify immoral stances. Just giving money doesn't do much of anything. Most of it doesn't go where it is supposed to anyway - whether its a charity or the government.

Again, I don't think taking credit for the work of others in whatever group you affiliate with means you have morality - especially when you actively support a position that would essentially negate all of that work.

Nope. I just don't think either justify immoral stances. Just giving money doesn't do much of anything. Most of it doesn't go where it is supposed to anyway - whether its a charity or the government.
We are arguing different points. I'm still pointing out that Christians/Conservatives are more charitable than non-religious types..and not just in a SD vs. Cali debate. I don't think that can be disputed.

You are arguing that everyone should agree to accept the refugees You may be right on that. You probably are right. By tomorrow I'm sure you'll be right. But regardless, it should be funded by the private sector, as should most charity. But then again, the liberals won't donate, so maybe we have to tax to get it, and then give credit where it's not due.

Now let's talk about dogs.