• Views 4,197 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
Sometimes I wonder.

You always hear people telling you to chase your dreams - but it's usually people who have already had their dreams come true. Like some musician who always wanted to be a musician and now they make millions of dollars at it. So of course all the struggle seems like a good investment to them now.

What about all the people (the vast majority?) who devote huge chunks of their life towards something - and get nothing but rejection and disappointment.

Is there something to be said for just accepting - and hopefully enjoying - things as they are?

I hate it when people say dumb crap like "You can be anything you want in life."

Not true. I wanted to be the head of the NAACP.

Chasing your dreams is fine. Unless you're the Bullet Ball guy.

In cases like this, someone needs to hang you upside down and punch you in the nuts until agree to give up your retarded dream.

Is there something to be said for just accepting - and hopefully enjoying - things as they are?

In my opinion, accepting life as it is remains the key to being able to live each day to its fullest. I think a bunch of people get steered wrong being told to attempt to mold their life into something they think they want. The fact is, as flawed creatures, even when we accomplish something great we're usually oblivious to the accompanying negative aspects. Since I believe that life exists as a balance between happiness and suffering, I'd rather just be content with how my life has unfolded than waking up everyday preoccupied with the fact that I don't have things I want. Chances are if I tried for something better I'd just end up suffering more, and in ways I'm likely unaccustomed to.

OMG Bullet Ball guy!!! :lmao:

Sold his wife's wedding ring!! :lmao: :lmao: :clap:

I never had that problem. When I was going 200 mph on my Hayabusa I could see my dreams on the rare view mirror.

I think it really depends on what your dreams are. If they encompass something that you love to do, then you should by all means chase them. The idea that success should be gauged by financial return is ludicrous. If you're not able to make a career out of it, then it should at least be a major part of your life aside from your occupation. If you don't chase your dreams, you can only look back with regret and "what ifs." Who wants to live life looking backwards all of the time?

You are not old until your regrets outweigh your dreams.

Some smart guy said that and I agree with him.

I think its good to chase your dreams, but only if you enjoy the chase. If every step that leads to the dream is dreadful, the dream will never live up to the hype.

the hard part in life is not figuring out what to do or deciding what to do, but having the initiative and discipline to do it

anything you choose to do that you honestly believe is the right thing to do at the time and put 100% effort into will seem like a good idea in the end whether it succeeds or fails

the keys to life (assuming you aren't evil) are:

1 - don't be lazy
2 - make the best of whatever situation you are in

ps

just because i know this to be true and wise does not by any means mean i follow it myself

I disagree with No. 1. It's been my experience that lazy but smart people make the best workers. I have tremendous respect for people that aren't willing to bust their ass just because that's always how it's been done. The perfect example is Alexander Graham Bell (or Antonio Meucci, depending on who you attribute it to) inventing the telephone because he was fucking sick and tired of writing letters. His laziness helped the entire human race to become more lazy, which has to qualify as one of the greatest motives in history.

I have spent most of my adult life chasing dreams. When I think of the time I have put into it - and all the rejection - it is a wonder I have not completely flipped my lid by now.

Specifically I have always thought I was supposed to be some kind of writer. To that end I have written 3 novels - which took a lot of time, believe me. I have put all kinds of money and time into pitching - and it has never gone anywhere.

I toggle over to songwriting at times. I have written and recorded and pitched. Again, not much tangible to show for those efforts. A few contracts that never went anywhere and literally thousands of assorted rejections.

Smitch is right though, the big factor is how much you get out of the journey. I have learned and grown through it all. And as MF brings up, it is important how much you love what you strive for. I love music and I can get satisfaction out of some things I have done even if another person never heard any of it.

But I could see how some people would just end up bitter.

I continue to chase. I am working on composing a big musical project now. I describe it as a hobby project but I would be lying if I said I had no thoughts of being discovered and hitting it big in music.

I don't know if I will ever be able to stop chasing the dream.

Chasing your dreams is fine. Unless you're the Bullet Ball guy.

In cases like this, someone needs to hang you upside down and punch you in the nuts until agree to give up your retarded dream.

Poor bastard. Just doesn't understand how much he sucks. I hope I don't suck that much without realizing it.

the hard part in life is not figuring out what to do or deciding what to do, but having the initiative and discipline to do it

anything you choose to do that you honestly believe is the right thing to do at the time and put 100% effort into will seem like a good idea in the end whether it succeeds or fails

the keys to life (assuming you aren't evil) are:

1 - don't be lazy
2 - make the best of whatever situation you are in

ps

just because i know this to be true and wise does not by any means mean i follow it myself

what are the keys to life if you are evil pally?

I am working on composing a big musical project now. I describe it as a hobby project but I would be lying if I said I had no thoughts of being discovered and hitting it big in music.

Are you performing live anymore? I don't know about your area but the live music scene is experiencing a rebirth of staggering proportions here in NorCal/Bay Area. My brother plays in a classic rock three piece, and they're of modest talent and in need a quality vocalist, and yet they stay booked as many nights a week as they want. Even the roller derby has them booked a couple nights a month for $600 + attendance incentives. When you get your project ready for performance, I'd be happy to help you pitch it here if you wanted to do a tour through the area.

For me, the creative process is always sweetest when you get a crowd to their feet. It's the kind of feeling that lets a man die in peace.