• Replies 73 Comments
  • Views 2,967 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
You have been immersed for awhile and I'm curious.

While any comments might be interesting, I'm coming at this from a specific angle. A repeated comment from newbies who pop their heads in for a little while is there are too many inside jokes going on. They get frankly annoyed by the tone of things and feel excluded. I kind of get that.

I wonder, have you had posters here who you thought at first were simpletons but went on to discover they are actually dry, sarcastic, rhetorical sons-of-bitches? I would definitely get that.

Basically what I'm asking is: how ya doing over there?

That's interesting Mud, I'm glad you asked.

Actually I find GL to be one of the most welcoming forums at which I have ever posted. There will be inside jokes at any forum where a group of consistent posters has been in place for any length of time. I think that's expected and I can understand that. I have followed GL off and on from afar for a while so I may be in a better place to understand some of the inside stuff than someone who is coming in blind. I also hear stuff thru the forums at times.

My biggest point here is I have been surprised at the level of toleration for a "newbie" who has come in perhaps a little overbearing in her posting. I thank you all for such tolerance and making me feel welcome. That is from the heart.

I have not yet developed a feel for many of the posters although it is getting better. I never really thought anyone over here was a simpleton. I think most here are INTELLIGENT , dry, sarcastic, rhetorical sons of bitches. I think you are all a very clever bunch overall.

I have some early favorites of course. Some that I have no feel of whatsoever....new (old) posters seem to pop up daily and I will want to ask "Who are you?" in the same vein as the "What's up with Clint?" post, but I figure it will all be revealed in due time.

MC, you seem to be a well rounded, non gambling, music playing, hamburger cooking, bi lingual kind of good guy. Perhaps you could be my gamelive mentor and give me some pointers as I forge on in a place I really wasn't sure I would fit.

I don't know that that answered your questions...but it's all I got for now. I have enjoyed my time here and again, thank all of those who have welcomed me so freely. Not many forums are like that these days. SP was thought of as somewhat exclusionary, and to some extent we were. I am quite impressed with your level of acceptance....both the first time around and now.

Good Job Gamelive!!

IAG- why did you want me alone an island? What makes you think I have interesting stories?

:blittster:

IAG- why did you want me alone an island? What makes you think I have interesting stories?

:blittster:
We weren't alone silly. Cami and FW were there too.

I don't know why I thought you would have interesting stories. I guess because it seemed you partied a lot in NYC and did a lot of drugs. I figured there must be stories....plus I didn't really know many people here at that point.

I am afraid I would change my answer if asked today. I think you have settled into a secure, comfortable (read boring) relationship at this time...and while I am happy for you, I am not sure it makes for great stories.

It's all lies.

In reality I just post BS from my parents basement in Wichita..

IAG
We weren't alone silly. Cami and FW were there too.

I don't know why I thought you would have interesting stories. I guess because it seemed you partied a lot in NYC and did a lot of drugs. I figured there must be stories....plus I didn't really know many people here at that point.

I am afraid I would change my answer if asked today. I think you have settled into a secure, comfortable (read boring) relationship at this time...and while I am happy for you, I am not sure it makes for great stories.

Am i still on the island?

Pretty sure we ate you, effdub.

You were tasty.

As wichita falls so falls wichita falls - that movie

That's good IAG. Most of the people who get annoyed at gamelive are IMO kinda simple. It is not unreasonable to say that gamelive sprung off of SBR - which is odd because gamelive is one of the sharpest collections of people I have seen on a forum whereas SBR is the stupidest - nevertheless that's how it is.

SBR is by far where the most head-popper-inners have come from over the years. And they are usually these living breathing cliches that just don't fit here. You don't seem like them.

As for me being a mentor, when I'm not being an evil satirical son-of-a-bitch, I like to help. Only problem in my case is I will very soon have to get back to working a full time job and, assuming it goes like the last time, I will be here much less. I will always be peeking in like ceiling cat but I will be far less able to participate - which I hate.

Good thing you seem to be doing so well on your own. If you really need a guide, just about anyone with over 5K posts could probably do a good job. Except Matty.

That's good IAG. Most of the people who get annoyed at gamelive are IMO kinda simple. It is not unreasonable to say that gamelive sprung off of SBR - which is odd because gamelive is one of the sharpest collections of people I have seen on a forum whereas SBR is the stupidest - nevertheless that's how it is.

SBR is by far where the most head-popper-inners have come from over the years. And they are usually these living breathing cliches that just don't fit here. You don't seem like them.

As for me being a mentor, when I'm not being an evil satirical son-of-a-bitch, I like to help. Only problem in my case is I will very soon have to get back to working a full time job and, assuming it goes like the last time, I will be here much less. I will always be peeking in like ceiling cat but I will be far less able to participate - which I hate.

Good thing you seem to be doing so well on your own. If you really need a guide, just about anyone with over 5K posts could probably do a good job. Except Matty.

Thanks MudCat. I like to think I have a pretty good first impression sense, and true story, back when I was lurking around at different times over the years I remember seeing a post you made...it may have been around Christmas time? In any case, I think you were playing the piano, or guitar, or keyboard....or something.. I thought it was very cool and thought to my self, "self, he seems like good people." I am glad to see my "good guy radar" is still working.

I am sorry to hear you will be here less frequently. I dread the day when I also must return to being a W-2er, but I am sure that day will come...hopefully later rather than sooner.

great to have IAG here

I do miss alot of the regular SP posters, wish some more would come..

hint hint

Yeah, I've got the YouTube channel. Hey, well, if you liked the music and you hang around, maybe you can be my guinea pig down the road.

Not every day you get an offer like that!!

No what's happening is I am working on a full CD of original fully produced songs, and once I have gotten as far as I can on my own here, I'm sure I will come to gamelive and ask for guinea pigs to listen and provide feedback - which I will then incorporate into my production before I start pitching it around.

So maybe/hopefully that will be an interesting feature of gamelive a few months down the road.

great to have IAG here

I do miss alot of the regular SP posters, wish some more would come..

hint hint
Who do you want Archie? I could probably talk a few into stopping by at least. I know where some are..some are not posting at all, and some I have no idea. It really is too bad. Whale could have saved it if he would have cared at all. I guess he has plenty of other things on his plate right now. I remember there was a time where a GL/SP merge was discussed...guess that didn't go anywhere. RIP SP.

Yeah, I've got the YouTube channel. Hey, well, if you liked the music and you hang around, maybe you can be my guinea pig down the road.

Not every day you get an offer like that!!

No what's happening is I am working on a full CD of original fully produced songs, and once I have gotten as far as I can on my own here, I'm sure I will come to gamelive and ask for guinea pigs to listen and provide feedback - which I will then incorporate into my production before I start pitching it around.

So maybe/hopefully that will be an interesting feature of gamelive a few months down the road.
Awesome. I would be happy to be a guinea pig. I love music although I wouldn't say I am any sort of expert that could probably offer technical constructive criticism. "I don't know about art but I know what I like" kind of deal. Good for you for pursuing your dream. Once I figure mine out I would love to do the same. As it stands, I see only a future of old age and regret.

PS Link your youtube channel! I have one too but nothing of interest to most.