I know I dont really need to say this.....

• Start date
  • Replies 41 Comments
  • Views 1,894 Views
I know its beating a dead horse, but it is the truth. For whatever reason, the drunk driver comes out fine physically. It is very very rare that the drunk driver is the one who was killed. My main problem with this is that the drunk drivers who have money do 2 weeks of classes and go on with their lives, regardless of what they did. Yes, there are circumstances where it is more involved than that but if its his/her first criminal offense and he/she has the money, the likely result is community service or something similar to make the victimized party believe that justice was served...when in reality the drunk driver will continue to enjoy life while the family has lost someone.

Now, while the situation is delicate and I am sorry for your loss Ray, the critical problem here is that people who are drunk do not recognize that they are. You cannot rationalize with a drunk person, because no matter what the scenario is, you are wrong and the drunk is right. The common person who is "just going to have a couple beers" decides to drive there instead of take a taxi/uber/whatever. When the "couple" of beers turn into 8,9,10........it becomes a battle where he/she is "fine" from his/her perspective. The car is there...spending money on a cab seems silly since he/she is "fine" to drive home. The end result is far too common.

Its rare to find someone who doesn't have a story connected to a drunk driver. I'm certain that all of us, if not the vast majority have either driven a car while drunk or been in a car when the driver was drunk. The perception you had in that moment is totally different than the one you have when you are stone cold sober. Shit, I had a Ford F-250 on top of my car and got out with a black eye. I hit it so hard that I was bumper-to-bumper with the car in front of it and the truck was on top of both of the cars, monster truck style. A close friend of mine ran into a tree that shredded the passenger side of his mustang. My cousin drove his car into a parked boat. The similar scenario is that it was the first time something actually happened when driving drunk, and none of us have driven drunk since then. Even though I ran home and never got in trouble, they both have DUIs but fortunately no one was seriously hurt.

My point is....the preaching and awareness factor is coming from experience but goes unheard because these people are either alcoholics who are adamant about driving while drunk or people who have never had to face consequences for their actions and think they are "fine."

Back in the old days they may get that slap on the wrist JP, not anymore. this driver will spend some significant time in jail.

Getting a taxi is the answer unless you live in a area that doesn't have them - like mine.

We hear that a lot of accidents involve drunk drivers. But do we what % of drivers are drunk at any given time? I mean that would be a useful stat.

Anyway, people are foking morons. But they are pressured to be by the culture.

The answer is don't be a fucking 'tard. If you find yourself drunk in a bumfuck town and you don't have a DD:

• Stop drinking several hours before you drive home.
  • Sleep wherever you are.
  • Nap in your car before driving home.

Don't be a fucking 'tard.

The answer is don't be a fucking 'tard. If you find yourself drunk in a bumfuck town and you don't have a DD:

• Stop drinking several hours before you drive home.
  • Sleep wherever you are.
  • Nap in your car before driving home.

Don't be a fucking 'tard.

As long as you don't put your keys in the ignition when you are sleeping.

So sorry to hear Ray...That's fucking awful. I always see you guys messing around on FB and feel like I kind of know her. I hope she is holding up as good as could be expected. Just fucking awful. I can't even imagine.

Good advice Matty. Those are things I do, but mostly due to fear of the cop. I can't imagine how drunk I would have to be to drive on the wrong side of road. I just don't get too drunk and almost always feel sober after chilin for a bit.
Part of problem may be people just don't take driving safety/awareness seriously. Les so after drinking.

Matty you are missing the entire point. The drunk driver is not going to follow that advice. Many believe they are FINE TO DRIVE.

Its like if you pay $200 for a hooker in vegas instead of $500 and the $200 hooker tells you she is clean. Then you have crabs or aids and realize you should have sprung for the $500 hooker. Lesson learned, but too late as the damage has been done.

Actually, since I'm Canadian, I don't know anything about US alcohol, US cars and US roads so allow me to retract my comment.

More $200 hookers have a disease than $500 hookers though.....the data will prove that.

sad to hear... but being gulity of poor choices many times and fortunate enough to live through a miraculous
close call ( as in inches from dead into a tree airborn at 60+ MPG) from certain instant death 7 yrs ago I find it better to stay off the
JD altogether myself. nothing good every comes from it actually all bad choices and and ugly side many categorized as a fuking lunatic.

ashamed I've driven well beyond drunk countless times in past yrs to get home from bar having no business walking let alone drving.
thankful those times never ended with a tragedy for anyones family. :(
not proud of my actions in those situations but lessons learned and no sense in pushing anyones luck taking that chance to make it home

i think we have all driven, plenty of times, when we didnt need to...

there were 2 cars in front of them... he said they started to slow down a bit and then all of a sudden, the 2 in front turned hard off the road and thats why they were hit...he had no idea there was someone driving on the wrong side... i havent talked to her dad yet, but he said he just didnt react fast enough or else he would have followed them off the road... i can imagine its kind of hard to purposely risk a wreck when you cant see the danger that forced the others off the road.... so sad.. she died instantly ... he has already had 3 surgeries to his leg/hips ...

so last night i got to spend some time with jenn and a few other family members... they informed me that they havent told her father that his wife died in the wreck... while he has been in and out of it , due to all the operations, he was under the impression that his wife was in a room next to him... i dont know if i would have gone about it this way, its going to fucking crush him, but its what they chose to do... i guess so that he didnt have as much on his mind during his operations..

also, it appears that some shameless piece of fucking shit, apparently the first responders on the scene, have stolen her 5 carat diamond, worth around 75k, and her 20k tennis bracelet ... so they have the hounds out looking for the dick that did this... either the police, the ems or someone stopped by the wreck before the cops got there and had the balls to steal the shit while checking on them... its as fucked up as it gets... pawn shops have been alerted, as well as everyone in charge at the police stations/fire stations/ems etc. ... its not a case where they could have flown off of her... her hands/arms etc. never got a scratch and some other clues about how she was found lead to straight up theft...

Oh wow, that's terrible about the theft, I can't even believe someone would do that, so so wrong.

As for not telling the father/husband, on the one hand, it's a lot to take in. Then again, think about how much worse he's going to feel when he comes out of this, and no one has told him, that's not something you should keep from someone for an extended amount of time. That poor man. The whole situation is just terrible. :sad::hug: