• Start date
  • Replies 11 Comments
  • Views 1,471 Views

gregm

Since
Mar 14, 2011
Score
Tokens
Summer is awful but I saw a few today, I always have my feeders ready for these bad ass birds. US/Canada to Central america and vice versa. I just have my sky scanner alerts for prices from washington to san jose. lol These guys are flying across the gulf of mexico on a tail wind up to 100 miles an hour every year.

"When the Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds are flying over the Gulf of Mexico during migration, there is no place to land to sleep, so they must keep on going. Many years ago, fisherman and oil rig workers would report seeking hummingbirds zip by them out in the gulf 200 miles away from land. The hummingbirds could be seen flying low over the water toward shore. The workers started to notice this happening every year, recording the common migration routes taken by the Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds. It's amazing to think that these little tiny fluffs of feathers would travel over 450 miles of water with a 20 mile an hour headwind (with more than 20 hours of travel time) to make it to their favorite breeding grounds."

"Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds fly Eastern Coast of the United State and south in February and as far south as Panama in the winter starting in September. Some will travel over land to and from Central America while many others trek over the Gulf of Mexico"

"The Black-Chinned Hummingbirds fly zone is from the Southern United States and Mexico through British Columbia. The spring migration starts in March throughout the Southern United States reaching the North Western United States and British Columbia in May. They will start to leave British Columbia in September and return to Mexico by November."

The Calliope Hummingbirds will migrate in their fly zone in the springstarting in March and arrive in British Columbia starting in late May. They will then turn around and start to head back to their winter* home in August."

The Rufous Hummingbirds has a long fly-zone and will start in February and will travel along the west coast to British Columbia and Alaska by the end of April. They will travel in the fall starting in August to reach their winter destinations in southern and coastal California, along the Gulf Coast from Texas to Florida, and throughout Mexico."

Last edited:
I don't know what's crazier...you posting a thread about hummingbirds at 3AM or me erasing it at 7AM and finding it interesting.

Cool stuff.

I had a hummingbird in my backyard 2 years ago. It was a pretty interesting display. It's never returned.

I typically have about 4-8 families living around my cabin. They know exactly where the feeders usually are and will come to the spots in the spring to remind us that it is time to open up the Hummingbird Bar. They are amazing to watch. (especially when they are mating or fighting for feeder dominance.)

what do you use to attract them. They have to be around my area so I might buy a feeder of some sort. The only thing is that we have a coon or 2 in the hood (have been in my yard recently) so I don't want to also attract them.

We get a couple around here once in a while. I saw one the other day.

Fast little dudes.

Here are some pictures I took 6 or 7 years ago of some hummingbirds. I photo-shopped some of them for artistic effect. Not bad for a 3 mp camera and some patience.

JFAMWkUWaWkdR3WNvCMwwuTB2FEh4kx_z6QrkCdvsOQ=w1064-h798-no

Let me know if the URL link works for you or not.

https://plus.google.com/photos/112083302114173204285/albums/6032661597313955505

Yeah the link works.

great pictures mr q. Is that a log cabin? These are the most interesting birds to watch, they hover, they literally can stop on a dime, fly backwards and sideways! I have even seen one hover upside down to get some nectar from this flower.I always wondered why you only see a few at a time but they basically fly these thousands of miles alone or witha few others when migrating the americas, like commuters on a freeway.

They are pretty amazing but I was watching some thing on these sooty shearwater birds on animal planet. They start out in new zealand and migrate 40,000 miles a year to the North Pacific off the coasts of Alaska California and Canada. I always wonder about birds out on the ocean when I am on a boat, I know seagulls can are at least 60-70 miles offshore but I read this article and alot of these birds are flying 7,200 miles over the ocean without stopping .

Watching the tour de france and they are talking about the physical training to bicycle 33 miles in a time trial this year, but these birds flying 7,200 miles over the ocean without stopping are the real athletes lol

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/21/AR2008102102685.html

Ruby throated Hummingbird migration

fall_distances.gif

tour de france

tourmap.png

Sooty shearwaters migration

m-5484-enz.jpg

PUSHd28d30d591d1.jpg

That nectar is basically HGH for the birds, so it's a wash.. :bee: