• Replies 24 Comments
  • Views 1,451 Views

Vegas Dave

Not a Real GameLiver
Since
Jan 28, 2010
Score
Tokens
I never learned to touch type. I'm a frigging professional writer and I'm whacking away at keys in some stupid fashion I invented at only 65-70 WPM. Should probably learn to type properly, but who has the time to learn new stuff?

I suck at it too.

Failed a few job interviews a while back due to my retarded typing

65-70 seems pretty good, I doubt I can match that.

wpm.jpg

Ha, that's cool, I'll try that test a bit later when I get back.

What I was going to say was, I don't know my actual number but I'm pretty slow compared to my mum but probably faster than the average guy driving a forklift.

I tried it again by powering through mistakes instead of going back and fixing them, but the test deducts mistakes from your score so there's no way to inflate the result. I did 59 WPM that time.

Pretty happy with that.

252/50

I did it twice and got 50 WPM both times. No errors either time anyhoo.

I developed a bad habit in high school of looking at the keyboard when typing. I can hardly get by without looking. Oh well!!!

I got tired after two lines and quit. How long is this fucking test?

I'm trying to decide how accurate it is... on the one hand I'm definitely in TRYHARD MODE while taking the test, but on the other I probably type faster with stream of thought than I do trying to copy words... so it's probably close enough to our actual speeds.

But yeah, apparently most real typists crush in the 80-100wpm range. And then there are talk-to-type programs. Wonder how big of a difference it would make on a per-article basis?

I've had my typing speed tested before - years ago while looking for jobs thru temp employment agencies - and I know the number always came out higher.

I don't know if that's because they have you typing actual flowing sentences and paragraphs - or maybe they just come up with bullshit inflated numbers because they want to be able to exaggerate your skills to potential placements.

Dunno.

All I know is I am getting near the end of writing a novel and the speed of my typing has had almost zero importance to it.

What's your novel on?? Always wanted to write one but I never have any ideas I'm super excited about haha.

What's your novel on?? Always wanted to write one but I never have any ideas I'm super excited about haha.

I wrote three in the 90's. Had an agent pitching them to publishers and movie studios. Nothing happened (nor should it have. They weren't good enough IMO.)

So now I'm trying to write one that's actually good. It's about what I know: living in the Canadian suburbs, working in a blue collar environment and the struggles/triumphs of those of us who do that. It touches fairly lightly on themes of addictions and trauma. There are two main romantic relationships that are central.

Mainly it's supposed to be funny and hopefully a bit touching and thoughtful in the end.