guitar discussion

• Start date
  • Replies 243 Comments
  • Views 18,992 Views
Still might wander over to the music store down the road tomorrow. See what they got.

I recently purchased a couple new custom made instruments from Darren Brown, in Canning N.S.
One of them is a 5 string instrument.The box, neck, fretboard,nut and bridge are all handmade and it has 2 pickups. I currently have it strung up as a banjo and have not even plugged it in yet.

received_10205142427150920.jpeg

The 2nd one is a cigar box dulcimer.

The Appalachian dulcimer (or mountain dulcimer, fretted dulcimer) is a fretted string instrument of the zither family, typically with three or four strings. Its origins are in the Appalachian region of the United States. The body extends the length of the fingerboard, and its fretting is generally diatonic.

Can't wait to explore them a bit more.

make a video mrq

play us a tune

I ordered a Johnny Marr signature Fender Jaguar (Lake Placid Blue) a few days ago.

And a Vox AC15 (with a Alnico blue speaker).

I just got so sick of THINKING about playing guitar and writing songs. I researched gear (came really close to ordering a Jazzmaster Pro instead) for about 8 weeks. Finally pulled the trigger.

I threw a Electro-Harmonix Cathedral stereo Reverb and a TC Electronic Flashback X4 delay pedal in the order too. I’m going to play stereo but haven’t decided to pair the Vox with the not-so-great Tech 21 amp I already have or get another Vox AC-15 (maybe with the Greenback) or go for broke and get a Fender Princeton Sonic Gold limited that I’ve been eyeballing.

I dug my Rat distortion pedal and Vox Wah Wah out of the garage.

Feels good, man.

Oh and about the Jaguar I ordered. Marr basically fixed everything I didn’t like about the Jaguar. That’s why I chose the Jag over the Jazzmaster. It was a tough decision.

And if I hate the Jag I have 30 days to return it for the Jazzmaster.

Interesting tid bit: the Rat distortion I mentioned......I don’t have the pedal, I have the rack mount. And someone told me it’s worth way more now then when I bought it back in like 1994

Nice Tron. Have you tried the J Mascis Jazzmaster? It's a modern classic. Doesn't have the shitty old bridge that makes the strings jump all over the place as you play.

Incidentally, I made a pair of Jazzmaster humbucker yesterday, they're going in a bona fide 1960 Jazzmaster.

Matty, my Jaguar arrived today.

IT SMELLED SO GOOD INSIDE THE GUITAR CASE WHEN I FIRST OPENED IT. It smells like home. Even the 6-page booklet that comes with it smells amazing.

I haven’t cared for any Jaguar I’ve played before this one. I only got this because of all of the modifications that Marr and his team made to it.

Forgot to mention, I think it’s awesome that your making pickups. I want to hear the whole story some day of how that all came about for you.

👍

That Johnny Marr looks legit. I just could never get on with short-scale guitars.

BTW I'm about to branch out into pedals. I got close to a dozen prototypes almost ready to go. 😎

👍

That Johnny Marr looks legit. I just could never get on with short-scale guitars.

BTW I'm about to branch out into pedals. I got close to a dozen prototypes almost ready to go. 😎

Pedals! Nice. Matty, on my list of things to order are two Death By Audio pedals (Reverberation Machine and Soundwave Breakdown).

So I played my J.Marr Jag for the first time today through my amps (I play in stereo using a Vox AC 15 w/blue Alnico speaker and a Tech 21 Power Engine 60).

Oh man. All I did was run it through my Electro Harmonix Cathedral pedal and my BBE Frequency Maximizer and it sounded incredible. Ridiculously clean and bright.

Matty, this is my set up right now:

Jaguar in to a Korg rackmount tuner —-> BBE Frequecy Maximizer rackmount—-> Rat ProCo R2DU rackmount (I bought it in 1994 and when I took it in to Guitar Center last week to buy a new power supply the guys that work there were taking pictures of it because they’d never seen a Rat R2DU) —-> Vox Wah Wah ——>> Volume Pedal ——> Cathedral Reverb ——-> TC Electronic Flashback X4 delay ——> Vox and Tech 21.

I have a huge pedalboard that has a hard case and wheels.

My pedal wish list for the next year:

-1 or 2 of the Death By Audio pedals I mentioned depending on room on my board
-Boss Compression Sustainer
-Expression pedal for the TC Electronic delay
-Strymon Mobius Modulation
-Electro Harmonix Micro Pog
-Boss Feedback Booster (FB2)

I want to hear all about your pedals. Do you have a website? I really know very little about pickups but I’m very curious about the pedals.

Site is https://rainvilleaudio.com

I'm in the middle of a rebrand, will have a couple pedals up within a month. They'll be simple (and small!) analog pedals with a twist. I do have a Rat-based dirt box in the works.

Never heard of a rackmount Rat either!

Funny, my twin bro has the exact same combo in his basement (AC15 and PE60). Loooove the Vox, it's so touch-sensitive. I tend to bypass all my pedals and just go straight to the amp when playing into a Vox - you just can't beat the amp's own grit. 👌

Site is https://rainvilleaudio.com

I'm in the middle of a rebrand, will have a couple pedals up within a month. They'll be simple (and small!) analog pedals with a twist. I do have a Rat-based dirt box in the works.

Funny, my twin bro has the exact same combo in his basement (AC15 and PE60)

That’s wild your brother has the exact same amp combo that I have.

What kind of pedals will you be releasing? Any pedals with Stereo outs?

It’s wild how things have changed. During my first pedal phase (1991-1995) almost everyone had Boss pedals and they were all relatively small in size. This EH Cathedral stereo Reverb pedal I have is easily the size of two Boss pedals combined. Actually, the TC Electronic Flashback X4 is slightly bigger than the Cathedral.

Matty, that would be bad ass if you operated a really successful boutique pedal shop like Death By Audio. I’d have to have one of your pedals on my board just because.

:hattip: