guitar discussion

• Start date
  • Replies 243 Comments
  • Views 18,987 Views
Seasick Steve is curently my favorite artist. He has a brand new project out and it is called Hubcap Music.

I'm partial to the p 90 soap box style pickup and will be watching carefully for some.

Been really digging how The Neighbourhood use guitars for dark production.

BTW for the guitar-tech nerds among us, Bill Lawrence passed away this weekend. Brother and I used his pickups in several of our custom guitars. Guy was more clever than ambitious - he and his wife were still hand-making pickups in their house. I'll never have 1/100th of that amount of dedication.

RIP big guy

BL1.jpg

I have been enjoying learning more about amplifiers. This is some great reading here on Bill Lawrence's site.

Guy knew his shit big time.

I learned about a different kind of acoustic guitar while I was in Cuba. It is called a tres and is an essential component of cuban music.

It has slowly dawned on me that I need a better 12 string guitar and I am going to have to redo all the acoustic guitar tracks on my music project. What I have is adequate. I want better.

Not that big a deal in terms of the re-recording. I imagine it will take ~3 weeks. Something like that.

The question is the guitar. I guess I will have to buy one with money I don't have. I don't know if people rent out that kind of thing. I'll look into it but it would probably make sense to just buy anyway. I don't think I have any friends who would have a good 12 string I could borrow.

I think I just spent a thousand bucks or some damn thing.

What makes you think you need a better guitar?

For recording, the state of your strings and your mic'ing technique are way more important than the instrument itself.

Strings should be lightly used, not fresh out of the package, nor oxidized from months of playing and sitting there.

I am not completely clueless. There are better sounding guitars out there than my 40 year-old lower-middle-of-the-line Yamaha. It's a wonderful value but I can do tangibly better.

I have ears.

images

You have GAS.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome

It's okay. I'm here for ya pal. Talk to me.

What are you looking to get?

I know fuck-all about 12-strings.

Daddy Rain owns two.

:guitar:

I don't know. I'll have to test drive.

I remember when I bought my guitar there were some amazing sounding Ovation 12 strings. Every once in awhile I hear something on the radio with a super rich sound that reminds me of those Ovations from 1974. Unfortunately they were like 500 bucks compared to mine which was low 100 as I recall. Mom went with the sensible, value purchase.

I have no idea if the industry has changed at all in the last 40 years. Seems possible.

I was just over at a pretty good music store looking at acoustic 12-string guitars.

You can rent them for like 5 bucks a day, $22 per month. That's nothing. Can't really go wrong at that price. Very limited selection though.

I picked up the guitars and could see no appreciable superiority over my guitar. In fact my impression: they were inferior.

But then again I picked up a $2000 guitar (not available for rental) and it really didn't stand out as that much better either.

The problem is the noise and clatter in the store. I really need the whole store to myself to just let loose like I need to and get a good feeling for what I am hearing and how things compare.

Bottom line though, unless I get repeated feedback that people are not liking the sound of my guitar in the recordings, I'll probably just stick with that.

My guitar, old though it may be, is probably a pretty good guitar.

I was trying to tell you. Them Yamahas are as good as (nearly) anything.

repeated feedback? are you pre-releasing the foking thing for feedback? I thought you wasnt gonna do that

I don't know why you thought that. The word pre-releasing sounds rather dramatic but the general concept of asking a couple buddies to give a listen and let me know if I am overlooking anything that sounds ridiculous has been the plan in my mind every step of the way.

ah, maybe the distinction is posting it vs a couple buddies