Got a question. Kinda techyish

• Start date
  • Replies 542 Comments
  • Views 34,010 Views
Before my time, I never used Win 95
I used to install it on multiple PC's a day when I worked in a computer store my buddy owned.

First off had to manually partition/FDISK the hard drive using DOS, then you used 14 FLOPPY DISKS to install from in sequence. Installing the OS was slow as fuck.

After a while they released Win95 on a CD and it made life much easier.

linux mint

OK, serious here folks.

IF you use an android device, ie phone or tablet you absolutely should install and use brave browser instead of chrome.

Why? Adblocking and popup blockers, plus no tracking. Brave is based on chromium so it behaves like chrome, same engine.

Chrome is unuseable without extensions and ublock doesn't work on chrome for mobile.

Do yourself a solid and try Brave. You'll like it

OK, serious here folks.

ublock doesn't work on chrome for mobile
I do it a bit different, I set custom DNS name servers that have the same lists as ublock. So like that all network connections of the device gets filtered through the ad blocking lists. Just blocking the browser is not enough, if you check through the connections log all the installed apps are constantly pinging back to the mother servers. If you filter at the DNS level you can block ads inside games, score apps and everything else.

There are a few services around, I use this one.

The free tier is more than enough for my usage. I like this one because you can use a vpn along with the filtering. Lots of the free ad blocking apps found on the Play Store actually create a local vpn on device to create the filtering locally, it's fine if you simply want to use ad blocking but if you need to vpn to another connection at the same time is of no use. This way, I can for example log in to a foreign betting site on a VPN connection and still filter.

Also with this service in the dash panel I can block a particular site at the DNS level so like that I don't make the mistake of accessing an account without verifying first. What I do is a block all gambling sites and opt in only the ones I will work with that particular vpn profile/ip connection/cookies/gnome account. In the pre-warm up stage with dummy accounts I can identify which are the servers that gambling sites employ to radar scan for unwelcome players by studying the logs. Most gambling sites will only nuke an account once these radar services mark your account but if the radar services' API connection never loads (ad blocked) then your account remains in good standing. Once I have ID'd all the connections/servers/API a particular site uses and accepts I can save that NextDNS profile to make sure I never fuck up with a connection mistake with that particular gnome account, and I simple change the DNS setting to a pre-saved profile one when I want to use a particular site/gnome. It's a bit of work but at times you can bonus whore likes it's 2005.

Give it a try uncle plommy, blocking at the DNS level is a superior method.

Rouge, I rarely use my phone for anything other than checking scores on thescore app, occasional browsing, and making calls.

My PC is the master device. Seems like a lot of work for a phone.

So thanks to Rouge I got to thinking about better ad blocking options than browser extensions.

A quick search led me to AdGuard 7.14 for Windows. Uses an installer.

I just installed it and am using a 14 day trial. If I like it I'll pony up the $30 for a yearly subscription.

There is also a MAC version.

So far so good.

Youtube is getting aggressive regarding adblockers in browsers.

274711713-2ca53d58-47f9-4a7f-b049-7a95e16dc67e.png

Brave/chrome users can install this:

The extension plays ads extremely fast. The ads play so fast (50 milliseconds) that they're literally over in the time it takes you to blink.

Started a Facebook group for former students of my highschool in Rexdale.

Was hoping to get 50-100 signups. Got that in 3 days thanks to word of mouth.

Now, approx 3 months later up to well over 800 members.

So far going smoothly, so far only one person not behaving and put on post review as a last resort.
Other than the outrageously racist rants from him its all good.

plommer the FB groups administrator.

Brave/chrome users can install this:

The extension plays ads extremely fast. The ads play so fast (50 milliseconds) that they're literally over in the time it takes you to blink.
Only thing that is working right now

Fukk YouTube

Fukk YouTube

Noticed that they’re interrupting and playing ads and commercials about every minute. Perhaps it’s just on my end? Annoying to say the least…

Fukk YouTube
When I downloaded the addon it had 10k downloads, already at 20k after a couple days. Its a brand new extension and still not widely known so it may take a while to catch on but also its likely that the creators of current adblockers will use this model on youtube of playing ads fast instead of actually blocking them.

Tried a raspberry pi for the first time today. Basically runs on a ubuntu spin.
So far I'm impressed.

Then I see THIS and its the next thing I'm buying:
Raspberry Pi 400

It’s a Raspberry Pi. It’s a keyboard.​

A Raspberry Pi 400

It’s a Raspberry Pi designed into a keyboard.

Screenshot from 2023-10-28 15-09-10.png

Screenshot from 2023-10-28 15-09-55.png

Screenshot from 2023-10-28 15-09-37.png