• Start date
  • Replies 20 Comments
  • Views 2,143 Views

RageWizard

Since
Feb 4, 2010
Score
Tokens
I'm trying to fill up the time before the Hot Dog Eatting contest, and the Tour de France with something other than Basketball, Hocky, or Baseball.

I just witnessed my first Rugby match last Saturday on the BBCamerica channel. Does anyone have a clue as to the rules for this game? And do they have their season in the Spring?

Growing up in Bermuda, I did learn how to play it as a kid, but hell if I remember any of it.

I liked when Ross played rugby and got roughed up pretty badly.

I actually liked watching it Saturday morning. Better than soccer. I forget the team, and of course the game was hard to follow, so I was trying to find out the rules, so I would know what the hell was going on. It looks like they have field goals and touchdowns. The dudes look really freaking ugly, and there is a fair amount of cluster f-cks involved.

I'm trying to fill up the time before the Hot Dog Eatting contest, and the Tour de France with something other than Basketball, Hocky, or Baseball.

I just witnessed my first Rugby match last Saturday on the BBCamerica channel. Does anyone have a clue as to the rules for this game? And do they have their season in the Spring?

Rugby rules are confusing even to long term viewers like myself. The offside rules are a nightmare.
The seasons are different in different parts of the world, in Europe the International games (six nations) are played at this time but club rugby runs through the Spring, yes.

Next year is World Cup year but it starts in September and will be held in New Zealand, not sure what that means for you in terms of convenience.

Last edited:
Well, I'm just looking for a sport to invest in during the NFL, NCAAfoots off season. I am doing a little American Idol investing, but I really don't do any sports investing until the Hot Dog eatting contest, and then the Tour de France. That leaves around 5 months of actually spending time with the wife, so I was thinking of learning a new game.

Looked into it some years ago, but it was hard to find the same type of stats as for American sports. May give it another shot. There's Rugby League, Rugby Union, and Aussie Rules. http://www.afl.com.au/

RW, I played in college, if you have any questions about the rules let me know.

You should definitely try Formula 1 and Aussi Rules Football. They both start in March.

Awesome to watch and awesome to bet.

Formula One is special. The last whole season I watched, crawling out of bed early just for the race, was when Villeneuve and Schumacher went head to head. What a rivalry! Villeneuve cutting off a corner over the grass, Schumacher running into Villeneuve on purpose. Crazy stuff. Unfortunately Villeneuve got a slow car right after that. Never understood why.

I always turn it up to max volume at the start. The high pitched sound of those roaring engines. Something else.

I think that I will download the rules to rugby, and Aussie Rules football, and start to paper handicap all the games I can.

Formula One is special. The last whole season I watched, crawling out of bed early just for the race, was when Villeneuve and Schumacher went head to head. What a rivalry! Villeneuve cutting off a corner over the grass, Schumacher running into Villeneuve on purpose. Crazy stuff. Unfortunately Villeneuve got a slow car right after that. Never understood why.

I always turn it up to max volume at the start. The high pitched sound of those roaring engines. Something else.

That was 13 years ago DH! Doesnt time fly?
This upcoming season should be a good one.

I like formula one. It is like real racing with a euro snobishment that is second to none. I don't know if I could invest in it however. I pray for big wrecks every week, with car parts flying into the stands. I also pray for at least 1 of the 546 people they allow around the car during a pit stop to get injured in some way, preferably getting run over, or possibly the 6 guys hanging on the fuel line could get a ride down pit road.

Yes I do the same. One of the few "sports" I still enjoy that hasn't been tainted by gambling. I still bet it but the rush of it is still there for me.

I'm expecting a great a season. So many elements can make this year very exciting.

-Of course Michael Schumacher returns.
-Brawn turning German.
-Back to back Brit champions in McLaren
-Alonso and Massa dueling in Ferrari.
-The return of Lotus.
-26 cars in the grid.
-Korean circuit scheduled.
-No team is investing in KERS.
-New points system.
-Low fuel Q3 qualifiers.
-Test driver testing allowed.
-And the debut of a possible future star, Lucas Di Grassi

:thumbup:

I don't know if I could invest in it however. I pray for big wrecks every week, with car parts flying into the stands.

One of my favorite bets is the Over/Under of how many cars finish the race. You can always bet the under. :laugh:

Yes I do the same. One of the few "sports" I still enjoy that hasn't been tainted by gambling. I still bet it but the rush of it is still there for me.

I'm expecting a great a season. So many elements can make this year very exciting.

-Brawn turning German.
-The return of Lotus.
-26 cars in the grid.
-New points system.
-Low fuel Q3 qualifiers.

I'd like to see some real tight battles. Not one of those seasons where the two Ferraris or the two McLarens beat everybody every race.

-Brawn turning German.
-The return of Lotus.
-26 cars in the grid.
-New points system.
-Low fuel Q3 qualifiers.

No refueling during races will change things too.

Ferrari looked very strong last week in testing, but Jerez isnt the best circuit to judge. Interesting that both Ferrari and McLaren have gone for a longer wheelbase than most of the others. On the face of it, this should suit Alonso and Button more than Massa and Hamilton.

We will know a lot more in two weeks when everyone will go testing at Barcelona. As much as I hate the Circuit de Catalunya from a racing point of view, turn 3 there is just about the ultimate test of aeordynamic efficiency.

I sat there last year and knew that the Brawns had a huge edge even before they started setting fast times. I out-thought myself and didnt bet there and then because I was suspicious there were running very low fuel in a bid to attract sponsors.

I will be there this year too, and there will be no such hesitation if I spot anything.

Planning to go to Monza for the Grand Prix in September, RJ (very provisional, though)

The new Lotus car
1265734646.jpg

Last edited:
I like formula one. It is like real racing with a euro snobishment that is second to none. I don't know if I could invest in it however. I pray for big wrecks every week, with car parts flying into the stands. I also pray for at least 1 of the 546 people they allow around the car during a pit stop to get injured in some way, preferably getting run over, or possibly the 6 guys hanging on the fuel line could get a ride down pit road.

LOL @ "snobishment".
:crown: