• Start date
  • Replies 57 Comments
  • Views 2,805 Views

PuckOff

Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
I'm really curious to know this. I know it's more expensive, but am curious to know if you spend the extra $$$ on buying fruit and veggies that aren't coated /sprayed with pesticides. I don't buy any organic food, but may switch and start to buy some organic fruit and veggies.

baby spinach is the only thing organic ive ever bought... at thats just because its cheap for a lb. at costco...if i get lucky to stop in on a day when they are just putting out the 2.5lb bags of regular, i get it instead... but it doesnt really last that long and its a lot to eat when you eat it like a salad... organic beef/chik = overpriced whoreshit imo

The only thing I regularly buy that is organic is chicken because I stumbled upon one and it is very good and clean tasting. If I did buy organic things, I wouldn't bother with anything with a peel.

except for leafy dreens, most veggies/fruits have a peel. Apples are supposed to be the #1 fruit for having pesticides on it. Grapes and peaches are up there as well.

Organic bananas have a peel and they are 100x better tasting

GF does all the shopping I just donate but yes we go all organic

except for leafy dreens, most veggies/fruits have a peel. Apples are supposed to be the #1 fruit for having pesticides on it. Grapes and peaches are up there as well.

I meant a peel you don't eat silly.

ill try them again..i eat 2-3 a day....had a few organic not long ago and like everything else organic, it taste the same to me... i have a feeling a lot of people trick themselves into thinking organic taste better...a type of placebo effect, if you will... i dont buy into it, but would buy something that i can honestly notice a better taste

The organic label doesn't mean much in terms of pesticide safety. They all use pesticides. The organic ones use more expensive, naturally derived pesticides. Recent testing has shown that the naturally derived pesticides are just as carcinogenic as the synthetic ones.

Worse still, the organic pesticides have to be used in much greater quantities.

I haven't read all of this, but it seems like a well-referenced and balanced article:

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2013...-the-truth-behind-organic-produce-doug-smith/

Last edited:

Yeah fruits like bananas, watermelon, cantaloupe are ok. I think it's more "fleshy" fruits like apples, pears, grapes, etc. are the ones to look out for.

CB, do you buy organic meats?

ill try them again..i eat 2-3 a day....had a few organic not long ago and like everything else organic, it taste the same to me... i have a feeling a lot of people trick themselves into thinking organic taste better...a type of placebo effect, if you will... i dont buy into it, but would buy something that i can honestly notice a better taste

I think for the most part that organic means fruit or veggies that aren't sprayed with toxic shit. With meats I am assuming not laced with antibiotics and other harmful stuff.

I've been reading up on this stuff so that's what piqued my interest. Same with probiotic shit.

MrX
The organic label doesn't mean much in terms of pesticide safety. They all use pesticides. The organic ones use more expensive, naturally derived pesticides. Recent testing has shown that the naturally derived pesticides are just as carcinogenic as the synthetic ones.

Worse still, the organic pesticides have to be used in much greater quantities.

I haven't read all of this, but it seems like a well-referenced and balanced article:

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2013...-the-truth-behind-organic-produce-doug-smith/

Interesting, Mr.X. I will have to look into this. I really am not sure if I am buying into this organic stuff, but I will read up on it a lot more now.

I buy whatever they have at the store. I like to buy from our local farmers in the summer though.

Yeah fruits like bananas, watermelon, cantaloupe are ok. I think it's more "fleshy" fruits like apples, pears, grapes, etc. are the ones to look out for.

CB, do you buy organic meats?

Chicken, yes

lots people dying from simple shit because they aren't reacting to antibiotics

like monkeyf0cker says it's simple math

fok that im raising my own chickens

Not necessarily organic but I try to avoid GMO if I can. Most producers have websites where they provide details about their practices.

My corn on the cob last night was GMO-free. Allegedly.

www.rougeriverfarms.ca

My wife buys fruits and veggies. They usually taste good. No idea if they are organic.

MrX
The organic label doesn't mean much in terms of pesticide safety. They all use pesticides.

I feel like there will be a handful of posters who will read this as "there is no health benefit difference between organic and non-organic" (not saying that was your intention, just pointing it out).