Deuce (or anyone), car repair question...

• Start date
  • Replies 35 Comments
  • Views 2,571 Views
or ya could have paid a professional mechanic to start with and had it fixed last week for equal to or less than what our paying replacing parts that dont need replacing....

another reason I loathe working for homeowners.... ohh that should only take ya an hr to do, whys its cost $300???
cause you got $100 in materials , my time to go get materials, my labor, my overhead to run a legit business, and my warrenty to fix anything that goes wrong with the materials I'm providing

wake up people:selfbash:

just cause someone trys to make a living off of working on cars, or building/fixing shit doesnt mean they're ripping you off

F0cker a quick search online makes me think you might be right. I see a forum thread about this issue with the same make and model around the same age as mine. Person describing the same problems I was having before the car died....check engine light was on for like a month or so and it had been sputtering intermittenly.

It even went through a period about 2 months ago where I had trouble starting it for a few days, like recently (except recently it just wouldn't start at all). But then it stopped acting up and was driving fine so I didn't worry about it.

Yeah. Sounds pretty typical of a failing MAF sensor...

Generally an inexpensive fix too.

take it to the shop

I was going to. I had already called a mechanic that I trust and his tow affiliate. It was a $50 tow ride, and the mechanic told me it was probably the fuel pump. He quoted me about $600 over the phone. Then I found the part for $200 and I have a friend who can fix anything on a car. I knew I could give him $100 and have it all done in my driveway for $300 instead of $650 so I did that. Turns out I DID need a new fuel pump because at least I can get it started now. But now there is another problem and I don't know what it is. Thanks again to F0cker for giving a little piece of mind tonight. I hope that's it, but I know it's going to probably cost me another $100 or so to get that part and who knows how hard it is going to be for my friend to check/fix. I'm not a wealthy man.

Jello, do you think there are any threads here tonight that have fun that don't negatively impact your car situation? I thought maybe that "laughter was th best medicine" but I TOTALLY misread the situation. I am in full backpedal mode.

It's all good brother. I don't give a fuck. I'm just saying.... not in a laughing mood about this right now but I'm the LAST person you need to apologize to for trying to make light of a situation.

Yeah. Sounds pretty typical of a failing MAF sensor...

Generally an inexpensive fix too.

I like the sound of that. But it's a Volvo so who knows if it'll be easy or not.

Is McB riding Jello?

Cause if he is I may stay up a little while longer to watch the carnage from afar.

Kinda feels like he's riding me Daft....now that you mention it.

Jello, I can't think of anything serious to say. Jello, do you remember that night you almost had a threesome?
That. Was. Awesome!

Oh McB....do I ever.

I think it's gonna happen though. Funny you should bring that up. I'm in discussions off and on with the girl I'm seeing now....who just happens to be the "other girl" from that night/thread.

She's still down so we'll see. Of course I will keep my GL non peeps abreast of any new developments.

Daft, no I am NOT riding Jello. I just want him to forget about his current situation for tonight. Because tonight he will NOT get anything accomplished with said car.

*cracks knuckles*

Alright Mr. Jello,

Three things to make a car drive. Air, Spark, Fuel.

Spark is checking out thus far, your shit turns over. Fuel is A OK as well. It appears that Mr. Jello as vacuum leak. Easiest method is to check the voltage to your MAFS. It quite possibly could be that your MAFS is shot. If this is the case, get one from a scrap yard, much cheaper. Literally remove clasp, some screws and tubes, replace, plug and fuckin play. When you give a car gas, the car needs to compensate with air to create a combustion with fuckin oxygen to light your fuckin combustion fucking chamber to make the fuckin valves open and close. Without that oxygen, your fuckin car bogs because of the fucking dumping of fuel to your fuckin cylinder heads. You have an air issue. I am assuming it is the MAFS but it could be a few hoses buried. Check the vacuum diagram that is located under your hood. If not, bend over and car the fuckin mechanic.

Deuce, so you don't think it has anything to do with the roto-girters?

PS. Jello, if you didn't give me a mini-snort on that one then I don't know if it's meant to be for us.