Curling

• Start date
  • Replies 216 Comments
  • Views 18,891 Views
This is when you know you're a rich American, when you have spare and non spare recreational time

Here's what isn't happening a lot at 2017 world curling championshipses: Canada losing games.

The women win gold going undefeated - and now Brad Gushue and the men complete their round robin at 11-0.

They are competing in the 1-2 page playoff RIGHT NOW.

Gushue/Canada remains undefeated and heads into the gold medal game this evening.

That is obviously good but I can put an ominous spin on it. We are playing the Edin rink of Sweden which is probably the best team in the world not from Canada. 2 time World Champion. 2 of the last 4 years.

So he's good. And we've already beat him twice so the idea of beating him 3 times feels daunting. Feels like he should have a few bounces coming his way.

But we're good so let's finish this!

Wow. Good time to be a fan of Canadian curling. Women and men combine for a 26-0 record at their respective world championships. 2 gold medals of course.

That's what I call gettin' 'er done.

The Canadian Olympic trial is the toughest curling tournament there is. Every team has had to earn its way there by winning important events.

There is no mandatory team from the territories or PEI. There are no teams from countries with 3 curling rinks or whatever.

Every single game is hyper-competitive because of the talent - and even moreso with the big prize that everyone wants so badly, a trip to Pyeongchang.

And it's on RIGHT NOW!

Speaking of American curling, former all-star NFL quarterback Marc Bulger is attempting to curl in the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics.

His team is composed of three other former NFLers. I've heard of one of them, Jared Allen. The other two are Michael Roos and Keith Bulluck.

Their football careers ended but they still longed for some kind of high level competition - and this is the plan they came up with. Become the best curlers in the world within a couple or 3 years.

Okay I'll say this: their chances are probably better than me playing in the NFL. It of course is not going to happen. Anyone who thinks elite curling is that easy is loopy. (And I did just hear an interview with him and he has now realized how crazy good the best curlers are and gained a lot of respect for the game.)

But anyway, that's a thing that's going on that certainly belongs in this thread.

Gold medal game is on. Canada versus Sweden. Two powerhouse rinks. 2 time champ Koe versus 3 timer Edin.

Tied 2-2 in the 8th, Canada with hammer.

Yeah we were on the wrong end of the old velcro snap this time.

:fok: