Coronavirus

• Start date
  • Replies 3,013 Comments
  • Views 168,437 Views
I'm keeping a close eye on southern Florida. Let's see how the virus spreads in hot weather. Looks like high 80 F days there

the “feels like” temperature is 90 degrees here RIGHT NOW

But because testing has ramped way up here in the last few days, won’t it be tough to tell how heat is having a role here?

Man it must be a lot different farther South. Here in Orlando, it’s pleasant outside

the “feels like” temperature is 90 degrees here RIGHT NOW

But because testing has ramped way up here in the last few days, won’t it be tough to tell how heat is having a role here?

I'm really only focusing on deaths, (assuming a good 3-4 week lag) and percentage of ICU beds and ventilators available.

Yeah, there's no doubt many undocumented cases have come and gone. I'm pretty sure my flu was one of them to be honest. I still have the dry cough almost two weeks later.

So in your scenario we are just accepting herd immunity? I completely understand the points you and others are making about the media and rich people profiting off of panic. But I still don't understand how it makes the actual pandemic any less real.

All signs point to the USA becoming the new epicenter of the disease soon. This isn't paranoia or fake news, it's just statistics and reports from reputable sources. Cases both documented and undocumented are going to continue to skyrocket, especially if we decide to give up on the quarantine.

I see no scenario at all in which 98% of people are back to work in 30 days. LA mayor is already saying look for 2+ months of shutdown. Some cities and states will likely reopen businesses, but not all will. And some of the businesses themselves won't reopen, whether out of genuine fear or for PR purposes ("putting health first" etc).

My hope is that when the Fed gov says we need to start reopening, that will create pressure on the local idiots to do the same. However, I'm afraid some of these assholes who want to score brownie points by appearing to oppose "evil Trump" at any cost, might resist. That's when it might be dependent on the public. Herd mentality, :thinking:

Herd immunity gonna come into play pretty soon, in New York anyway. The self serving actions of media and other profitiers don't make the pandemic less real, but it makes dangerously wrong, counterproductive policy against the people more real

reno, I think what gets lost on some people is just how hysterical CNN (etc) is trying to make the average Joe/Jane feel right now.

You can see Jake Tapper’s (CNN) erection grow as new positive cases are announced.

Some Americans believe that the news has their best interest in mind as it pertains to COVID-19.

Gotta say, never saw so many people walking the streets. It's like Russia over here +a bunch of Fucking dogs

My hope is that when the Fed gov says we need to start reopening, that will create pressure on the local idiots to do the same. However, I'm afraid some of these assholes who want to score brownie points by appearing to oppose "evil Trump" at any cost, might resist. That's when it might be dependent on the public. Herd mentality, :thinking:

Herd immunity gonna come into play pretty soon, in New York anyway. The self serving actions of media and other profitiers don't make the pandemic less real, but it makes dangerously wrong, counterproductive policy against the people more real

I mean we are in a lose-lose situation. The country is not designed for long bouts of inactivity. Whats best for handling COVID-19 is what's worst for the economy, and vice versa.

You are calling shutdowns "dangerously wrong, counterproductive policy", but keeping things open and letting the disease spread wildly so that thousands die and our hospitals and doctors and nurses are taxed beyond their limits also seems dangerously wrong and counterproductive.

You talk about the "media and profitiers" working hand in hand to spread panic and fear with shutdowns... I get the logic behind the media doing it to sell ad space. But why the fuck would massive corporations want to destroy the economy like this? The conspiracy doesn't really make sense to me. Who is pulling the strings? If big corporate fatcats control the media, wouldn't suppressing the panic and pointing out the small number of severe cases be better for the economy and their pocketbooks?

Belarus is the place to be for some of you.

Belarussian president Aleksandr Lukashenko :
"[Coronavirus] is just another psychosis, which will benefit some people and harm others," he said last week. "The civilised world is going nuts. It is absolute stupidity to close state borders. The panic can hurt us more than the virus itself."

To add to that, he suggested that instead of panicking "like those in Western Europe," one should have 40-50 grams of vodka daily, go to a banya [Russian sauna] two to three times a week and keep working on a farm, as "tough work and a tractor can cure anything."

Meanwhile, Putin has given most workers in Russia paid leave next week.

I hear what you are saying Dave. I also throw out anything said by any politicians from NY or California lol. Maybe not 98% but in 30 days I feel the majority of the US will be back to work. Just my opinion. Not based on fact.

Nothing wrong with having a gut feeling/opinion! Thank you for not presenting it as fact.

We will see. It's such chaos at this point that it really is anyone's guess what things are going to look like in a month, for better or worse.

Local 711 with a thing of hand sanitizer at the register for customers.

You know what?

I respect that shit.

You've earned my business (at least until I find something more convenient).

I mean we are in a lose-lose situation. The country is not designed for long bouts of inactivity. Whats best for handling COVID-19 is what's worst for the economy, and vice versa.

You are calling shutdowns "dangerously wrong, counterproductive policy", but keeping things open and letting the disease spread wildly so that thousands die and our hospitals and doctors and nurses are taxed beyond their limits also seems dangerously wrong and counterproductive.

You talk about the "media and profitiers" working hand in hand to spread panic and fear with shutdowns... I get the logic behind the media doing it to sell ad space. But why the fuck would massive corporations want to destroy the economy like this? The conspiracy doesn't really make sense to me. Who is pulling the strings? If big corporate fatcats control the media, wouldn't suppressing the panic and pointing out the small number of severe cases be better for the economy and their pocketbooks?

Everybody acknowledges that the disease will spread. The goal should be to take reasonable effective measures that can possibly slow the spread, treat patients adequately, (build hospitals, make equipment, come up with helpful meds etc.) without burying the people before the virus has a chance to.
I don't know if massive corporations are running the show. There are, per my understanding, powerful individuals and competing groups, who would like to see the world arranged in certain ways. Money is not the end goal (money can be printed), power and hegemony is. I gather that some (and like I said, there are competing interests) would like to see a large swath of the general public, the poor or middle class, substantially weakened or destroyed, So that whatever's left can be exploited more effectively, and provide less resistance.
Furthermore, the crashing economy will lead to the weakening of certain groups and nations. With havoc, more opportunity arises for destroying non useful governments and regime changing nations. ...I just saw they're going after Venezuela again. (somehow Maduro is a drug trafficker all of a sudden.

Everybody acknowledges that the disease will spread. The goal should be to take reasonable effective measures that can possibly slow the spread, treat patients adequately, (build hospitals, make equipment, come up with helpful meds etc.) without burying the people before the virus has a chance to.
I don't know if massive corporations are running the show. There are, per my understanding, powerful individuals and competing groups, who would like to see the world arranged in certain ways. Money is not the end goal (money can be printed), power and hegemony is. I gather that some (and like I said, there are competing interests) would like to see a large swath of the general public, the poor or middle class, substantially weakened or destroyed, So that whatever's left can be exploited more effectively, and provide less resistance.
Furthermore, the crashing economy will lead to the weakening of certain groups and nations. With havoc, more opportunity arises for destroying non useful governments and regime changing nations. ...I just saw they're going after Venezuela again. (somehow Maduro is a drug trafficker all of a sudden.

total logic and straight facts homie

Reno, I can assure you that Maduro (and virtually all of his inner circle) are corrupt TO THE CORE.

Okay, so who are these people? Liberals? The ones running CNN and NYT and LAT? And they also are running the propoganda machine behind the scenes on the scientists and doctors who want us to stay indoors to slow the spread?

And Trump isn't one of them? He's fighting these bad guys on our behalf?

How can you tell what to believe and what not to believe? Who is in this secret society and who isn't? What sources should I be trusting since I cant trust the liberal mainstream media?

Seriously, help me understand. You seem very confident in your views and your solutions for this mess. Say I want to join your cause/mindset. How do I go about seeing the light?

reno, I think what gets lost on some people is just how hysterical CNN (etc) is trying to make the average Joe/Jane feel right now.

You can see Jake Tapper’s (CNN) erection grow as new positive cases are announced.

Some Americans believe that the news has their best interest in mind as it pertains to COVID-19.

Same question I just asked reno. Since the liberal media is panic peddling bullshit, where should I be getting my news? How do I become enlightened?