Coronavirus

• Start date
  • Replies 3,013 Comments
  • Views 171,288 Views
Lots of good coronavirus coverage in podcast form these days. Much better journalistically than digging around on the web. Podcasts aren't economically driven by clickable headlines.

Planet Money is mostly covering virus-related issues these days. It's a great show.
Science Vs has switched to 100% coronavirus coverage.
Radiolab most recent episode should be interesting.
The Daily from the New York Times is good.
Coronavirus Daily from NPR.
Embedded is working on a virus series that should be interesting, but the first episode hasn't aired yet.

Feels like you're trying to avoid understanding what I'm saying.

Obviously there's more nuance to things than denying a bus crash that papers reported on. For example, perhaps a bomb went off in the next town and killed a thousand people. That doesn't change the fact a bus crashed, but it would make one wonder about the reason 10 papers focused on a bus crash.

Also in the sense of 10 experts. ...There maybe a thousand experts, but nothing's stopping the media from picking the 10 that help serve their needs. And if you think about it, that's how things work in all aspects of life.

Like I said, we know of constant propaganda major media is in unison on. Often it involves racist disparagement of other countries/leaders. Sometimes it involves painting classes of people in a negative light, to make their abuse more palpable. etc.. And it's to serve the needs of Empire and whatever powerful groups. ...

I'm not trying to have you consider some philosophical question about unlikely possibilities.
I'm trying to get you to consider the complexities of how things work institutionally/systematically. It's not easy and it's not how we're used to discussing. But I think we have to sharpen up as a group, and fast, if we want to preserve our freedoms, maybe ones as simple as playing in the park.

Yeah, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I don't believe that taking preventative measures to stop the rapid spreading of a deadly disease is akin to giving up our personal freedoms. I don't think that it is heroic to go out into crowds and ignore these health warnings, which can and will continue to spread the disease and kill people, to prove a point that "I'm not going to do what the man tells me to do".

We absolutely gave up many personal freedoms after 9/11, many for security theater... as if TSA actually accomplishes anything. The vast majority of major terrorist plots are squashed by intelligence agencies, not by bringing four ounce bottles of shampoo onto the plane.

But this isn't phone tapping or bullshit security. The disease is spread by being within six feet of people who are carrying the virus, many of whom are asymptomatic. If you congregate in groups, odds are that you will catch it and you will spread it. If you don't congregate in groups, you won't and can't. Social distancing has already worked in China, Korea, and other countries while the USA's confirmed cases and deaths continue to soar because Americans are too fucking selfish and proud to follow some pretty simple protocol.

If you spread it to three people, and those three spread it to three more, it isn't long before THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of people will get it from your role in the proceedings. So if staying indoors and not wanting to be a part of spreading this thing makes me a sheep, then baaaaa baaaaa.

I don't believe that taking preventative measures to stop the rapid spreading of a deadly disease is akin to giving up our personal freedoms.

That ship has sailed. You might have more (reported) cases than the rest of the world, combined, by the end of April.

Would be cool to get the real numbers out of China, India, Russia and Japan though. Fuckers.

That ship has sailed. You might have more (reported) cases than the rest of the world, combined, by the end of April.

Would be cool to get the real numbers out of China, India, Russia and Japan though. Fuckers.

Don't tell that to us 'Mericans. We are going back to work because we kicked corona's ass!!!!!

Tides of public discussion will really turn when our death tallies blow the rest of the world away as well.

You can always build more doctors and replace sick people with healthy ones. Life works just like in Sim City.

You can always build more doctors and replace sick people with healthy ones. Life works just like in Sim City.

Yeahhhhhh when my folks bite the dust and my nurse fiancee is chronically corona'd I'll just restart with some cheat codes.

Yeah, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I don't believe that taking preventative measures to stop the rapid spreading of a deadly disease is akin to giving up our personal freedoms. I don't think that it is heroic to go out into crowds and ignore these health warnings, which can and will continue to spread the disease and kill people, to prove a point that "I'm not going to do what the man tells me to do".

We absolutely gave up many personal freedoms after 9/11, many for security theater... as if TSA actually accomplishes anything. The vast majority of major terrorist plots are squashed by intelligence agencies, not by bringing four ounce bottles of shampoo onto the plane.

But this isn't phone tapping or bullshit security. The disease is spread by being within six feet of people who are carrying the virus, many of whom are asymptomatic. If you congregate in groups, odds are that you will catch it and you will spread it. If you don't congregate in groups, you won't and can't. Social distancing has already worked in China, Korea, and other countries while the USA's confirmed cases and deaths continue to soar because Americans are too fucking selfish and proud to follow some pretty simple protocol.

If you spread it to three people, and those three spread it to three more, it isn't long before THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of people will get it from your role in the proceedings. So if staying indoors and not wanting to be a part of spreading this thing makes me a sheep, then baaaaa baaaaa.

Ah, well now we know what kind of fearmongering is more effective. That gets us one step closer to disempowering the public completely:excellent:

I'd guess some of the restrictions will never truly go away. And generally we will move even more to home based, isolation, sedentary lifestyle. ..with all it's problems. Also likely, there will be pandemics for years to come. Either this or another. Not because there's more disease, but because it has proven so effective in controlling the people. So much more mileage can be gotten out of this than even 911. And the corporations don't need to invest and hype up sports. They can invest in food delivery, or whatever opportunity arises from our new shit lifestyles 🆙

just for the record SKorea Japan and others did not have the restrictive measures we do. They mostly concentrated on testing and isolating the infected. We have the most restrictive lockdown here. And if cases keep growing you're gonna blame what? not enough lockdowns. Or is it the few kids that played basketball?

Were you doing mountain biking before on rough trails? What kind of bike/s do you have?

Yes, at the time of my crash in May 2019, I had worked my up to the Expert trails at Markham Park and Quiet Water Park. Having a ridiculous fun time while downplaying the hazards of the sport.

6 fractures, surgery and blood clots so bad they required another surgery later, and I no longer downplay the hazards of the sport.

I have a Cannondale Habit 4

Ah, well now we know what kind of fearmongering is more effective. That gets us one step closer to disempowering the public completely:excellent:

I'd guess some of the restrictions will never truly go away. And generally we will move even more to home based, isolation, sedentary lifestyle. ..with all it's problems. Also likely, there will be pandemics for years to come. Either this or another. Not because there's more disease, but because it has proven so effective in controlling the people. So much more mileage can be gotten out of this than even 911. And the corporations don't need to invest and hype up sports. They can invest in food delivery, or whatever opportunity arises from our new shit lifestyles 🆙

just for the record SKorea Japan and others did not have the restrictive measures we do. They mostly concentrated on testing and isolating the infected. We have the most restrictive lockdown here. And if cases keep growing you're gonna blame what? not enough lockdowns. Or is it the few kids that played basketball?

You tell me, you've got it all figured out. If cases and deaths keep growing what should we blame?

This is a good numbers based article on what people are willing to spend to save a life.

Matty, Vegas Dave, Archie, reno amongst others should enjoy this.

It’s not a long read.

You tell me, you've got it all figured out. If cases and deaths keep growing what should we blame?
I say do not panic or push for restrictions at all costs. Look for measured, creative solutions. Demand that any response, especially one that restricts other peoples freedoms, has huge benefit versus downside. Accept that people die and you yourself might die. Stop promoting childish hysterics and shame those that do. :officer:

I don't blame anybody for the number of cases (perhaps somebody made mistakes early, or deliberately created the virus. (I guess that's possible))
But I do blame the crybabies and the easily played among the people, for pressuring others, the governors, and now seemingly the President, to take steps that will bury millions. and leave us with less freedoms and more red tape. (if that's what happens)

Also I did read somewhere that getting the virus doubles your chance of dying for 2 weeks. I'm sure that wasn't an expert that got many interview requests from cnn. Now, don't know if true, but makes some sense.
I did hear today that hospitals are usually at capacity during flu season anyway. So possible it doesn't take that many extra cases to create big problem :thinking:

I looked up in the US 7400 people die a day. 2.8 million a year

Yeah, again, I just can't follow you down this intricate web of logic. Not ssying
This is a good numbers based article on what people are willing to spend to save a life.

Matty, Vegas Dave, Archie, reno amongst others should enjoy this.

It’s not a long read.

Saw this yesterday, didn't really resonate with me. What did you take from it?

But I do blame the crybabies and the easily played among the people, for pressuring others, the governors, and now seemingly the President, to take steps that will bury millions. and leave us with less freedoms and more red tape. (if that's what happens)

So the "crybabies" and "easily played" are powerful enough to pressure those in power to fold to their will? Who's playing who?