• Replies 16 Comments
  • Views 2,111 Views

MexicanStallion

Since
Jan 29, 2010
Score
Tokens
Johnny Cueto Will Out Pitch Barry Zito

The Reds start an 11-day, 10 game homestand starting with the San Francisco Giants. Monday starts the first game of four between the ball clubs. The Reds ended last night on high note winning the series against the Washington Nationals after their 19th come from behind victory and 11th in their final at bats.

The Cincinnati Reds (33-24) and the St. Louis Cardinals (33-24) are tied for the Central Division lead. The Reds have regrouped after a small rut the past week. The Reds finished their road trip going 3-3 and now return home where they are 19-11 on the season.

Johnny Cueto takes the mound for Cincinnati Monday night. Cueto has had his ups and downs this season. He got rocked in his last outing giving up 8 runs in 5 innings against St. Louis. He got lazy on the mound and went with the motions of the game. When he gets hit, he tends to try and speed up the game and it throws everything off balance. Tonight will be a different story and he will be back in his May form. Dusty Baker and Bryan Price talked with him at the end of April about slowing down the game and relaxing. The results were great with him going 4-0 in 5 starts with 1.59 era. I can only assume Baker and Price have already had a word with Cueto, so a little kick in the butt should do the trick.

The Reds have hit lefties fairly well on the season. Johnny Gomes is the biggest threat hitting .346(18/52) with 3 home runs and driving in 14 runs. Orlando Cabrera, Brandon Phillips, and Drew Stubbs have been good against lefties as well. Cabrera is hitting .386(22/57) with an on base percentage of .453. Since Cabrera is now the everyday lead off hitter, Cabrera should get on base a few times against Zito. Phillips is hitting .305(18/59) while scoring 10 runs and driving in 5 runs. Phillips is 4 for 10 against Zito in his career. Stubbs had struggled in April and picked it up in May. He stayed consistent against lefties though. Stubbs is hitting .279(17/61) while scoring 11 runs and driving in 8 runs. As far as home runs are concerned, 4 of 6 have come against lefties. A fun fact about Johnny Cueto, is he is 3 for 4 against lefties. My prediction is he gets a base hit tonight against Zito.

Jay Bruce has struggled against hitting .234 with 19 strike outs in 64 at bats. In the past 7 days, Bruce is hitting .217(5/23) with one run batted in. Tonight would be a good night for Bruce to sit and to give Heisey a start. Ironically Heisey has struggled against lefties going 1/16(.063), but he has been used inconsistently. His last at bat was a pinch hit against Houston on May 29th and his last start was against Pittsburgh on May 25th. My bold prediction is Heisey contributes offensively today with Gomes leading the way. You never know with Dusty though.

Predictions: Reds win 5-3. Cueto goes 6+ innings allowing 2 runs. Gomes drives in 3 runs. Heisey has 2 hits. Johnny Cueto gets a base hit off Zito.

Johnny Cueto (5-1 4.09) vs. Barry Zito (6-2 2.78)
Cincinnati Reds ML (-128)

All statistics were supplied from www.cincinnati.reds.mlb.com
and www.sports.yahoo.com

Good job MS! The whole nine yards including predictions! :clap:

No Heisey again today. Not sure what the best thing to do for him other than putting him back in Louisville so he can get some AB's. They are going to need him in the stretch run and there is no reason for him to be riding the pine. Cueto should return to form tonight and could see a lot of 0's on the board. Thinking about playing the 1st 5 under today.
Nice writeup and good luck with your play.

(from John Fay blog)

Tonight’s lineup (7:10 pm at GABP):

Cabrera 6

Phillips 4

Votto 3

Rolen 5

Gomes 7

Bruce 9

Stubbs 8

RHernandez 2

Cueto 1

v LH Zito (6-2, 2.78)

No Heisey again today. Not sure what the best thing to do for him other than putting him back in Louisville so he can get some AB's. They are going to need him in the stretch run and there is no reason for him to be riding the pine. Cueto should return to form tonight and could see a lot of 0's on the board. Thinking about playing the 1st 5 under today.
Nice writeup and good luck with your play.

I always check Fay's blog for line ups. You beat me to the post. As I mentioned in my write up, he hasn't played forever. He has two pinch hits since his start late May. He should go to Louisville if he is not going to play and just bring up Sutton if they want an occasional LF. Heisey is the future and sitting on the bench will do nothing.

Oh well missed my line up prediction. Hopefully the rest pan out.

Thanks Juror.

Any thought on the over/under 1st 5 (4.5) and full game (8)?

Any thought on the over/under 1st 5 (4.5) and full game (8)?
No thoughts really with totals, because I am bad with them. If I had to pick something I would go Under 1st 5. I think Cueto will hold it down early.

Good stuff again, Mexi - frontpaged for posterity.

You mention Gomes a few times. Man that guy...there's just something about him. Kinda like Nick Swisher. I just wanna punch him in the face.

Good luck, fair warrior.

on cincy. gl to all.

Got to love my prediction. Way off. Need the Reds to continue swinging to cash the most important prediction.

Mexi, Heisey is in the lineup today. Maybe today he comes through for you. You were just off by a day on his big game.

You mention Gomes a few times. Man that guy...there's just something about him. Kinda like Nick Swisher. I just wanna punch him in the face.

Good luck, fair warrior.

I would still really enjoy punching Nick Swisher in the face. Ugh.