Canadians need to calm down about the Olympic hockey team

• Start date
  • Replies 42 Comments
  • Views 3,291 Views
I didn't know you were a Caps fan jello? that's my eastern conference team. Now we can be friends. :grin::highfive:

Yeah, they've been the "local" team all my life.

No point really except that it was only a pool game.
Even though this US team might not be the real deal it is not exactly the national disaster that has been portrayed.

Right, it was a pool game that we would have loved to win but didn't, now the road to gold has become tougher but doable.

The only good to come out of that game for Canadians was the fact that everyone realized Luongo should and will start every game from now on.

PS: I am NOT a fan of Pronger, Niedermayer or Brodeur. Canada's defense would be alot stronger has these two old defencemen not been given spots on our team.

Canada's team just has the feel of an All-Star roster. I was thinking about how invisible Crosby seemed the other night in fact. I think he actually got an assist, but it was the quietest point I could imagine.

There's no sense of entitlement... Don Cherry isn't saying give us the gold - he's saying Team Canada, get us the gold or we'll chop your heads off.

Less George W. Bush, more Uday Hussein.

'cause hockey is serious business.

We have a long storied history at these international tourneys.

1972 - we came back to defeat the Russians in the Summit series

1976 - we defeated the world in the Canada Cup

1984 - amazing victory in the Canada Cup

1987 - another historic Canada Cup victory

1991 - now it's called the World Cup and we won again

2002 - Olympic Gold Medal

2004 - victory in the World Cup

Feelings run strong here. It is like religion.

And we have experience at winning - often coming back from situations just like this where things seemed shaky. No other country is close to us. Russia won once. USA won once. Czech won once. Sweden won once. Look at all those victories we have had.

It's nothing to be mad about. It's our thing. Don't even get me started on the phenomenon that is the World Junior Championships and the support that gets in this country compared to the rest of the world. Hockey is very meaningful here.

Let us have our thing.

Yeah, but we used to be that way about basketball and now look at us. The gap in hockey between Canada and anyone else hasn't been anywhere near what it was in basketball for the US. Since the original Dream Team, other nations have caught and in some cases passed us in international ranking. We've learned to live with it. You will too.

Yeah, but we used to be that way about basketball and now look at us. The gap in hockey between Canada and anyone else hasn't been anywhere near what it was in basketball for the US. Since the original Dream Team, other nations have caught and in some cases passed us in international ranking. We've learned to live with it. You will too.

You're pushing your luck, son.

1972 - we came back to defeat the Russians in the Summit series

2002 - Olympic Gold Medal

And we have experience at winning - often coming back from situations just like this where things seemed shaky. No other country is close to us. Russia won once. USA won once. Czech won once. Sweden won once. Look at all those victories we have had.

It's nothing to be mad about. It's our thing. Don't even get me started on the phenomenon that is the World Junior Championships and the support that gets in this country compared to the rest of the world. Hockey is very meaningful here.

Let us have our thing.

I guess there was only 8 international tournaments in 50 years. International hockey Soviet Union dominates. No question. And don't tell me about pros, many games against pro teams CSKA has a decisive advantage.

btw '87 Canada cup was the best hockey I ever saw.

I guess there was only 8 international tournaments in 50 years. International hockey Soviet Union dominates. No question. And don't tell me about pros, many games against pro teams CSKA has a decisive advantage.

Not sure what you mean. There have been 10 tournaments in the last 34 years involving the best of the best. (You can't really count that 72 Summit Series since it was only Canada/Soviets.)

Canada has won 6 of the 10 (or 7 of the 11 if you count the 72 Series.) No other country has won more than 1.

The gap has definitely closed. Back at the start of the tourneys I catalogued, probably 80% of NHL players were Canadian. I'm sure it's less than 50% now.

The amount we have won is out of proportion but Canadians are known for heart when it comes to hockey. Hopefully we can do it again.

The gap has definitely closed. Back at the start of the tourneys I catalogued, probably 80% of NHL players were Canadian. I'm sure it's less than 50% now.

The amount we have won is out of proportion but Canadians are known for heart when it comes to hockey. Hopefully we can do it again.

This comment bothers me a little because to me it implies that the rest of the world doesn't have heart or passion for hockey. I think that all of these teams and players have heart that are playing for their country....this isn't some second rate tournament.

Let us have our thing.

You crazy canucks are all the same. Very egotistical. Why wasn't it called the world cup before 1991, instead of the' Canada cup'. Pssshh...you people.

Canada is Racist.

This comment bothers me a little because to me it implies that the rest of the world doesn't have heart or passion for hockey. I think that all of these teams and players have heart that are playing for their country....this isn't some second rate tournament.

I was just talking about history and describing what I saw. I watched every one of those tournaments and that's what it looked like. Canadian teams gelled together and found another gear when they had to and came out victorious against the best in the world.

It looked like heart and guts. Maybe those are the wrong words.

But winning 6 of 10 tournaments (plus the great Summit Series of '72) is out of proportion, whatever the reason.

I don't think it's unfair to say that hockey has more meaning in Canada than other places. If anything, it probably makes us look silly for being so out-of-our-heads passionate about a dopey game. Everyone else has a more sensible attitude. But I would not suggest the other players aren't trying. They just don't have the dopey game in their genetic code.

Russia also has a great passion for the game and that's what makes them a great rival. Unfortunately for them, they keep falling victim to these Canadian uprisings. They have only closed the deal once - and that was almost 30 years ago (1981 Canada Cup). But they are scary and tonight is no exception.

You don't count World Championships, Olympics, countless other matches between NHL and Soviet teams?

Canadians need to calm down about the Olympic hockey team

This is no longer possible.
View attachment 162

showformat.php
showformat.php

Will just make it even more devastating when they fail to win gold.