Canadian men clinch 1st seed at men's World Curling Championships

• Start date
  • Replies 35 Comments
  • Views 2,163 Views
Thread title works all over again for 2012. Canada - this time the Glen Howard rink from Ontario - finishes the round robin at 10-1 for the first seed heading into the playoffs.

Unfortunately the event is in Basel Switzerland so the next game will be starting at 3 am EDT on Saturday - which is a less-than-ideal viewing time for me. However don't worry your pretty little heads: it is not an elimination game and any games after that will be at more watchable times.

:curling:

:canada:

Canadian men defeat Scotland in the 1-2 Page Playoff and are through the final!

:muddy:

Muddy, is Howard one of Canada's all time best curlers? Guy looks a little up there in years! Did you ever see a broom break while sweeping?

howard.jpg

I don't recall seeing a broom break, no. I'm sure it has happened lots of times - particularly with the old corn brooms they used to use - but I don't recall it.

Howard is one of the top all-time names in Canadian Curling no doubt. I believe he set the record this year for most wins all-time at The Brier (Canadian Championships). And I believe he passed his brother Russ, whom he used to curl with, when he did it.

Glen has 3 world titles already - going for 4. A couple of his titles were curling third for his brother and then 1 was as a skip.

I guess he is up there in years. I still think of him as that young guy winning his first Worlds in 1987. Time flies.

Definitely a good man and a good team to have representing the Maple Leaf tomorrow!

:canada:

Crazy how much this thread from last year still works. Exact same situation. Canada playing Scotland in the final having beaten them twice already.

Gold medal game is on today. Canada versus Scotland. Canada has already beat them twice but the Scots are a good rink. Can the Stoughton team sweep a third game?

Substitute Howard in for Stoughton and away we go.

Nope, I have never thrown a rock. I have swept before but not in a curling sense.

Had company show up right at the start of the game. Glad to see them and everything but arrrggghhh.

Anyhoo, it turns out that right now, the game is just as it started anyway, tied, Canada with last rock.

4-4 after 6.

Go Hosers!

Heroic final rock by Howard for a deuce in the in 7th.

6-4 Canada!

Scotland battles back for a deuce in the 8th. 6-6. Nail-biting time.

Does Canada attempt to blank the 9th and bring it home in the 10th with hammer? Probably but easier said than done.

Ugh. Canada forced to take a single in the 9th.

Not what we wanted. Not a complete killer but it makes things a lot more touchy.

Game of nerves in the 10th. Some great shots but also some mistakes. Could have gone a bunch of different ways but it ends up with Scotland taking the single.

Extra ends. Canada with hammer.

My sincere apologies for my ignorance Muddy from your awesome commentary, but who the hell is now winning?

Canada with hammer? Please explain! TY!

It was tied going into the sudden death extra end. Hammer means last rock - which is an advantage no doubt but far from a guarantee.

Anyway, it came down to that last rock. Howard controlled his nerves for a precision draw to the 4 foot.

Sorry rest of the curling world but IT'S CANADA AGAIN !!!!!

canada.jpg

This is the sport where you see grown men wearing bowling shoes and trying to do their best impersonation of rhythm gymnastics with a broom.