Canada is Larger than China

It's one of the biggest things I've ever seen.

Canada's economy (and dollar) is about to get fucked b/c they're overplaying their hand.

Wifey might be able to get a job in NYC if and when Canada goes down the shitter. I'd do it.

In 1848, Ueno Shunnojo-Tsunetari (a Japanese trader based in Nagasaki) imported Japan’s first daguerreotype camera from Holland. The following year, the camera was obtained by Shimazu Nariakira, a Japanese feudal lord (daimyo) who ruled the Satsuma Domain from 1851 until his demise in 1958. Shimazu was renowned as an intelligent and wise lord, and noted for his great interest in all forms of Western technology.

Having obtained the camera, the daimyo ordered his retainers to study it and produce working photographs. One of these retainers was Ichiki Shirō (市来 四郎). Ichiki had previously excelled in the study of gunpowder production, which involved an understanding of chemistry. Due to this background, Shimazu believed Ichiki’s background would suit him for the challenge of mastering the creation of daguerreotypes – which entailed use of chemical treatments to develop the final image.

Due to his complete lack of formal training in photography and in how to use the camera, it was many years before Ichiki produced a quality photograph. To the daimyo’s delight, on September 17, 1857, Ichiki succeeded in creating a portrait of Shimazu dressed in formal attire. Ichiki recorded his struggles, and eventual triumph in mastering the camera, in his memoirs which he compiled in 1884.

After Shimazu’s death in 1958, the Terukuni Shrine (also referred to as Shōkoku Shrine) was built in Kagoshima as a memorial to the late daimyo. He was enshrined there in 1863, and the photograph was placed there as an object of worship. However, it later went missing in the 1800s.

After being lost for a century, the daguerreotype was discovered in 1975 a warehouse. Recognized as the oldest daguerreotype in existence that was created by a Japanese photographer, the photo was designated an Important Cultural Property by the Japanese government in 1999.

PxxnrvM.jpg

In 2006 the population of Nigeria was 140 million, in 2012 it's 170 million. 30 million increase in half a decade and yet India is growing at an even faster rate.

In 2018 it's 197 million (UN figures) or 203 million (US embassy figures). Passing the 200 million mark along with China, India, United States, Indonesia, Brazil and Pakistan. US numbers are better.

Nigeria's 60 million increase in 12 years is third largest, behind only to India which had an increase of 204 million in the same time, and China which had only a 76 million increase. Or put in another way Nigeria and China nearly had the same increase with Nigeria having only a tenth of the population base.

In 2012 humans reached 7 billion people and 1 Mudcat and in 2025 they will reach 8 billion, only 13 years of a difference.

:littleboy:

In 1848, Ueno Shunnojo-Tsunetari (a Japanese trader based in Nagasaki) imported Japan’s first daguerreotype camera from Holland. The following year, the camera was obtained by Shimazu Nariakira, a Japanese feudal lord (daimyo) who ruled the Satsuma Domain from 1851 until his demise in 1958.

After Shimazu’s death in 1958, the Terukuni Shrine (also referred to as Shōkoku Shrine) was built in Kagoshima as a memorial to the late daimyo. He was enshrined there in 1863, and the photograph was placed there as an object of worship. However, it later went missing in the 1800s.

After being lost for a century, the daguerreotype was discovered in 1975 a warehouse.

Died in 1958 or 1858? This should have occurred to the writer given the other dates and (s)he made the same mistake twice. Unacceptable.

I bet it was the Hell's Angels. Those guys will steal your Daguerreotype if you turn your back for a second.

Municipal elections are coming up. One of the incumbent councillors in my area is named Brad Butt. So I see Brad Butt signs all over town as I drive around. Just standing at my window, I can see two Brad Butt signs.

Butt.

:maersksealand:

The world keeps changing though. Doing my regular brain exercises, I was going through the world capitals - in this case it was giving the country and I have fill in the capital - and this came up: eSwatini.

Exactly like that. Small e, capital S. The country name is eSwatini.

Never hearda ya pal.

(Apparently that's what Swaziland now calls itself. Looks like it is sometimes spelled (translated?) more conventionally: Eswatini. Either way I guess. Now I know.)

(Mbabane remains the capital.)

Damn Zulus

Yeah that same one caught me by surprise when I saw the scores when their national soccer team was playing

Sri Lanka keeps going back and forth on their capital. Well, I doubt anything is happening in Sri Lanka; it's probably just one of those things where there is more than one capital; like one is administrative and one is legislative or whatever; South Africa actually has three capitals.

It just depends what the author of the quiz decides to use. With Sri Lanka, sometimes it's Colombo and sometimes it's Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte.

As a guy trying to remember and type it, I prefer Colombo.

:handshake: