• Start date
  • Replies 34 Comments
  • Views 1,699 Views

illmatick

Since
Jan 30, 2010
Score
Tokens
I did a write-up on a championship fight in Germany, fight starts in about 2 hours

Saturday afternoon marks a thrilling title fight deep in the Heart of Germany. Aging star Roman Karmazin gets ready for what could be his last serious run at a title against the tenacious and youthful Sebastian Sylvester. Father time has been generous to Roman but age has slowly begun to become a factor and just maybe his time has passed. This is a classic matchup of youth and grit vs experience and skill

What we have here is the more skilled fighter at plus money, Roman pulled off a thrilling comeback against a highly touted fighter in his last fight, at age 37 time is certainly starting to catch up with him, foot speed and punch resistance are two things that were proven to be faltering at this stage in his career..... in his last fight Roman was rocked several times but did an excellent job of weathering the storm each time. In the 9th round he was seriously hurt and looked to be done for, that's where the heart of a champion kicked in and he defiantly pushed through and survived the round. Round 10 begins and he knows he's probably down on the cards, with about a minute and a half left he lands a thunderous right hand and sends Miranda to the canvas only to finish him off for the knockout 15 seconds later. Roman has always been highly touted but never really lived up to the hype after losing to Spinks, he posses a very crafty left hand, shifts to his right hand very nicely and can be quite deceptive with his hook at times, at 37 he still showed a little bit of that deception and speed against Miranda, being backed by Freddie Roach should be a huge plus going into the fight as well.

Sebastian Sylvester is a good fighter but doesn't really do any one thing great, of course he will have youth and tenacity on his side but I'm not sure that's enough here, he does keep a high solid guard and does a nice job at deflecting punches but against some of the better fighters he's faced he seems to fall in love a little too much with his guard , often times not putting out a significant amount of offense early in the fight, which is something Roman will have to take advantage of early on if he wants any hope of taking a decision. Imo Sebastian's best hope for this fight is a late TKO or another razor close decision similar to the one he received against Lorenzo, Roman should have more than enough tools to out point him for 12 rounds, not to mention he will have a significant height advantage which should allow him to keep Sebastian at the end of his punches, even though Sebastian is a bit short for the division he doesn't really fight all that great on the inside, relies more on timing, patience and well selected punches to break down his larger opponent. Sebastian doesn't really have one punch power but you can't rule out a late knockout with Roma's aging chin, he's more of an accumulative puncher that looks to pour it on late. Both fighters carry their power into the later rounds and will be dangerous until the final bell. The fight will be in front Of Sebastian's fans so we can assume if its a close fight the judges will probably favor him but the good thing is Roman is no stranger to having the deck stacked against him in Germany, he has twice gone in there and won a European championship belt. I get the sense that he's hungrier than ever and will be looking for the early Knockout, even if that isn't attainable I'm confident that his work rate and precision will be enough in the judge's eyes.

The line for this fight was pretty stagnant for awhile but some late night money came in on Sebastian yesterday. He peeked at around -345 but has since dropped a bit. 5 dimes is hovering around -330 at the moment with Bettors from the other side buying back on Roman. I get the sense that the lines makers might just be a little nervous about this one, having a hard time taking a real strong position on this fight. I give around a 60% edge to Sebastian in this fight, primarily due to where the fight is taking place and the disparity in age that certainly favors him, If you can get Roman at +250 or better then you're getting excellent value imo.

My prediction -Roman by tko in the 9th

Last edited:
wow, nice writeup. ill tail.

short little interview I found

Q : How was your training for this fight ?

Roman : I am more prepaired for this fight than I was for my previous one . My opponent is a workhorse but nothing really special about him , I have to come out and win the fight .

Q : Do you think you have to win by KO in Germany ?

Roman : Well , you know . They wont give us the victory any other way .

Q : You could be the first russian to be a world champion in 2 different weightclasses in professional boxing . Is this an extra motivation for you ?

Roman : Yes , I am trying to reach this . Big motivation for me .

Q : You've already fought twice in Germany , whats your opinion about Germany ?

Roman : I want to say once again , nobody believes in winning in Germany , when you go to Germany you go to there to lose . I came here to win , I was here twice and won European Championships against 2 strong opponents .

here's his last fight

Is this on tv?

Polaroid front page this shit you jerk!

Illy should I follow or do you not want bad juju?

sorry bread, you're too late

line is off the board, it's a small play for me

HORSE APPLES!

:duh:

good luck my friend.

can't find a stream, these updates are from someone else watching the fight

Round 1

Karmazin pushes a jab, then a hook. Now a triple hook. Sylvester just absorbing, and waiting. Double hook high-low from Karmazin. Sylvester begins to pop a jab. Karmazin jabs at his chest, Sylvester tries to counter jab to the forehead but shoots too high and misses. Karmazin jabbing, taking a step back, jabbing back in and looking for a spot to land with power. Sylvester just stands his ground behind his guard, relaxed - occasional jab. Karmazin being the general. More body jabs from Karmazin. Sylvester pawing with the left. Karmazin pushes his right jab out. Neither of them are using the jab as much other than a theoretical deterrent. 1-2 from Karmazin.

Slight edge to Roman in a slow opener, 10-9

Round 2

Double jab from RK. SS tries to spear one of his own home. RK holding back, using his height and reach. SS not closing the gap. They continue to make it a fencing match with their left hands. RK opens up a bit and flurries, mostly hitting arm. SS feints to back RK up and lands a jab to the body as the guard rises. Another flurry from RK, nothing clean. SS tries more body jabs.

Round 3

RK setting the pace with metronome jabs. SS mostly covering up and defending. SS tries a right hand to the body and misses. RK parries another body attack from SS and jabs at his guard. SS lands a 1-2. RK lands a jab, and converts it quickly into a hook, which lands but not flush. SS snaps RK's head with a jab between the gloves. They clinch as SS falls in and RK grabs. SS back to covering up with his head tucked into the turtle shell. RK circling and jabbing, moving diagonally. SS sneaks in another jab to the chin. SS lands a 1-2. SS then tries looping the right, lands. RK tries to assert the jab but SS is confident. They circle in the middle of the ring and jab.

Sylvester round.

29-28 Karmazin

I have Karmazin up two round after 5, 5th round was super close, could have gone either way

Roman used an effective jab to take round 6, I have Karmazin up 3 rounds now

we're halfway there fellas

I have Roman up 4 rounds now, close round but he's still controlling the fight with his jab

Roman is up 5 rounds now with 4 rounds left in the fight

go get 'em illy