Biggest Mistakes by Professional Franchises in the Past 10 Years?

• Start date
  • Replies 29 Comments
  • Views 3,551 Views
speaking of the raiders, the heyward-bey pick over crabtree has to be both a hindsight, and consensus at the time sorta big mistake....

Actually, Crabtree had shown plenty of character issues and no desire to play for the Raiders before the draft. I don't mind that we didn't take Crabtree, we don't need bad apples on a young team that already has plenty of problems.

The mismanagement of that pick, though, was pretty terrible. If DHB was really your guy, trade the pick down. No reason we couldn't have gotten, say, the 15th and the 45th or something for that pick, which would have still netted us DHB (or Maclin) and then allowed us to address another issue with that other pick.

If you CAN'T pull a trade (which I can't imagine you couldn't find any team that wouldn't want to move up here), pick the best player available (other than Crabtree) at another position. DHB should not have been taken in the top 10.

Oh well though, it's the Raiders.

I thought you made a vid where you freaked out about the heyward-bey pick?

nevermind, I was typing as i was starting to read the 2nd paragraph

I thought you made a vid where you freaked out about the heyward-bey pick?

nevermind, I was typing as i was starting to read the 2nd paragraph

And I did make a video, actually upset BOTH at the bad pick management AND not getting Crabtree, so you aren't mistaken.

After researching it a bit, I forgave the Raiders for not taking Crabtree. I hadn't read Mangini's comments that he was a primadonna, and the NFL.com chat transcript where a raider fan said "You'd look great wearing the Silver and Black!" and he said "As for playing for the Raiders, no comment."

You've seen enough bullshit interviews with draft prospects to know how bad "no comment" is two days before the draft. No "They've got a great young core" or "a storied franchise", but "no comment"? Get the feeling that holdout situation would have been even uglier.

As for the pick mismanagement, pathetic. If you are one piece away, go ahead, go off the board and get your guy. But the Raiders had so many holes, that was just a clear senile-Al-Davis move.

And I did make a video, actually upset BOTH at the bad pick management AND not getting Crabtree, so you aren't mistaken.

After researching it a bit, I forgave the Raiders for not taking Crabtree. I hadn't read Mangini's comments that he was a primadonna, and the NFL.com chat transcript where a raider fan said "You'd look great wearing the Silver and Black!" and he said "As for playing for the Raiders, no comment."

You've seen enough bullshit interviews with draft prospects to know how bad "no comment" is two days before the draft. No "They've got a great young core" or "a storied franchise", but "no comment"? Get the feeling that holdout situation would have been even uglier.

As for the pick mismanagement, pathetic. If you are one piece away, go ahead, go off the board and get your guy. But the Raiders had so many holes, that was just a clear senile-Al-Davis move.

Dave,

How bad do you just want davis to dump the franchise onto some other owner?

The sacramento kings not claiming gerald wallace's rights for the bobcats expansion draft.
The entire knicks under isiah( marbury, malik rose, jerome james)

The Phoenix Suns hiring a gorilla as their mascot.

thatsracist.gif

Dave,

How bad do you just want davis to dump the franchise onto some other owner?

All he actually needs to do is hire a GM and take a backseat... but I've just come to terms with the fact that I will be a lifelong Raider fan and never get anything in return for it. So it goes.

At least the Kings hired an extremely intelligent and capable General Manager and are doing things the right way. It's been 8 years since either of my teams has been in the playoffs... a third of my life and my entire adult life. The fact that it might actually happen this year... surreal.

Barry Zito.. Smitch if he wins 20 games this year and the giants make a post season run you will change your tune lol.

Actually I would change my tune if Zito won 20 because that would take the Giants scoring at least 6 runs per game and pitching won't matter any more!! :lmao:

Do we mean mistakes AT THE TIME, or mistakes in retrospect? Very big difference.

For example, Jamarcus Russel was a fairly consensus #1 pick, and the Raiders needed a QB, badly. Everyone knew he'd be a project, but he had the raw talent and that wasn't an off-the-board pick for the Raiders. I really don't think you can blame a franchise for drafting the best player available at the most important position on the field when it is their biggest position of need.

If we are talking in retrospect, or knowing what we know now, obviously I'd agree. He's regressed and shown horrible lack of maturity, and doesn't look anywhere close to having what it takes.

I don't know Dave. I didn't see him as the best player on the board even one of the top 20. I also put Vince Young in that same category. I realize that Vince Young may be proving me wrong especially with this this past year and we will see if he can keep it up but Russel was completely limited in my view coming out of college.

I don't know Dave. I didn't see him as the best player on the board even one of the top 20. I also put Vince Young in that same category. I realize that Vince Young may be proving me wrong especially with this this past year and we will see if he can keep it up but Russel was completely limited in my view coming out of college.

I can pull up an old blog I did at the time, saying I wanted to draft Calvin Johnson because he was the best player available, and that my second choice was Adrian Peterson because I thought he had the most upside.

I didn't really want Jamarcus in that spot, either, because of the fact that he was a project pick/raw talent and I'd prefer to take a more sure thing. I agree he wasn't the best player on the board, disagree that he didn't belong in the Top 20.

That said, I didn't have any problem at all with the Raiders picking him. I definitely preferred him to Brady Quinn, and his upside made him a tempting pick. Hindsight is 20/20, but I still don't blame the Raiders for taking Jamarcus.

I can pull up an old blog I did at the time, saying I wanted to draft Calvin Johnson because he was the best player available, and that my second choice was Adrian Peterson because I thought he had the most upside.

I didn't really want Jamarcus in that spot, either, because of the fact that he was a project pick/raw talent and I'd prefer to take a more sure thing. I agree he wasn't the best player on the board, disagree that he didn't belong in the Top 20.

That said, I didn't have any problem at all with the Raiders picking him. I definitely preferred him to Brady Quinn, and his upside made him a tempting pick. Hindsight is 20/20, but I still don't blame the Raiders for taking Jamarcus.

I still think Brady Quinn could be a good QB in the league if he was surrounded by any talent. It is not like every other QB that has stepped into that starting QB job has done well.....