Biggest Mistakes by Professional Franchises in the Past 10 Years?

• Start date
  • Replies 29 Comments
  • Views 3,578 Views

xstud

Fuck Bad Luck
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
My votes

T-Wolves trading Kevin Garnett

Reason: T-Wolves went from a team that contended on a yearly basis (granted would get bounced in the first round) to a team who only has 1 player left on the team from this trade. Granted Garnett has been hurting lately but he is still a force and was the heart of the team. McHale is an idiot.

Twins letting Johan Santana go.

Reason: Johan was in his prime and a dominating pitcher who would be good for 20+ wins. Twins have 1 prospect left on the team from that trade entering this season. Granted they were not going to pay the money to keep him but they essentially dumped him for Carlos Gomez who could run and field but was horrible at the plate.

Oakland Raiders letting Gruden go.

Reason: Gruden was an intense coach and was loved by the fans. I think this deal worked out great for Gruden seeing as Al Davis is a fucking idiot but I honestly think Gruden is a great coach and at the time I think it was a huge mistake that has brought tons of instability to the team.

Raiders drafting Jamarcus Russell

Reason: The kid is not a top tier QB. Sure he played for a great LSU team but he has not proven even remotely that he can start every Sunday in the NFL. I honestly think he will be a lifetime backup in my personal opinion when he can't even start for a team like the Raiders.. who knows it is still early but I doubt things will change.

These are a few of what I can think of off the top of my head.. what are yours?

Pistons drafting Darko Milicic over Wade, Anthony, Bosch, Paul.

Toronto hiring an American GM & American coach to take care of Canada's hockey team, the Maple Leafs.

Pistons drafting Darko Milicic over Wade, Anthony, Bosch, Paul.

Totally forgot this one. I think this overtakes my raiders blunders

The Giants spending $127 Million for 7 years for......

Barry Zito :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The Bears drafted Cade McNown number one in '99 (so I guess that's 11 years ago) but it affected them for a great deal longer. It was a horrible move that set them back YEARS.

Over the last 10 years, it has to be the Pittsburgh Pirates 2000-2009.

Over the last 10 years, it has to be the Pittsburgh Pirates 2000-2009.

I was just gonna make a comment on this..... some great ones in there.....

Derek Bell
Kevin Young part II
drafting moskos over weiters
Pat Meares
Chris Stynes
Aramis trade/salary dump
Raul mondesi
Kendall Contract

Hopefully they are moving on from some of that shit

Florida Panthers trading Roberto Luongo for a bag of pucks.

Montreal Canadiens hiring Bob Gainey as GM.

Phoenix Coyotes hiring the best player of all time Wayne Gretzky to be their coach.

What about the Detroit Lions hiring Matt Milen which in turn triggered...how many years of bad first round draft picks and coach moves. They will be digging out of that hole for another 5 years still.

Detroit did have some really really pitiful years/drafts under millen over and over.....

But I think as a collective whole of franchise ineptness for a long period.... you got to seriously look at the LA Clippers

Do we mean mistakes AT THE TIME, or mistakes in retrospect? Very big difference.

For example, Jamarcus Russel was a fairly consensus #1 pick, and the Raiders needed a QB, badly. Everyone knew he'd be a project, but he had the raw talent and that wasn't an off-the-board pick for the Raiders. I really don't think you can blame a franchise for drafting the best player available at the most important position on the field when it is their biggest position of need.

If we are talking in retrospect, or knowing what we know now, obviously I'd agree. He's regressed and shown horrible lack of maturity, and doesn't look anywhere close to having what it takes.

speaking of the raiders, the heyward-bey pick over crabtree has to be both a hindsight, and consensus at the time sorta big mistake....

A ton of good ones here. I have to agree I totally left out the entire Lions franchise. Considering they only have like 1 of their last 4 first round picks still playing for the team.

As far as Russell goes you are probably right Dave. I guess that would go more in the arena of player busts instead of bad franchise moves.

Barry Zito.. Smitch if he wins 20 games this year and the giants make a post season run you will change your tune lol.