• Start date
  • Replies 79 Comments
  • Views 4,379 Views

Tron

Since
Jan 28, 2010
Score
Tokens
Antonio Esfandiari (well know poker pro for those unfamiliar) posted this video of his trip to Burning Man 2014

It's him and several other poker pros and friends.

I like Antonio. He's a funny guy at the table and talented.

My question is: Is this an accurate mini-representation of Burning Man?

The video caught me off guard. I expected something very different. The video makes it look like Ultra Music Festival in the desert.

:dunno:

Here's the video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VjK0O6ojcsE&feature=youtu.be

It looks like an accurate representation of a bunch of bro-y dudes who love electronic music having a good time at burning man. It's pretty far from what I do at the burn, but the burn is enormous and there are so many ways to experience it.

This is more representative of my burning man experiences and, hey, I'm in it at 7:20.

[video=vimeo;105749543]https://vimeo.com/105749543[/video]

Also, I have never once heard someone yell "BURNING MAN!" at burning man, as they do for the first forever in that video. That was annoying.

D4xyNMe.jpg

:clap:

Why is the youtube just green for me? wth...my favorite T-Heads song though.

Try this one

update your flash player IAGballs

Is that "Regular everyday normal guy" in the first video at 1:04?

Mr. X-Very cool. It's even cool not on drugs sitting here on my couch.

Matty-Thank you. Will do.

MrX
Try this one

Slow motion makes everything look better.

No, seriously, that video of Burning Man makes it look a lot more appealing to me.

Trouble for me is all of my friends that would go now live in other states and have children like me and are old balls.

Shame cause I'd really like to go. I wouldn't even no where to start as far as the pre-planning goes.

I guess that's why we have Google

:thinking:

I'm guessing I'd experience the burn" like this:

:sparesomecutter: or :guitar: or :bennyhill:

i think i have too many questions, but lets give it a go...

1. how many days is it?

2. where do you keep all your shit and where do you sleep?

3. how much theft goes on?

4. is damn near everyone there high on something? weed/shrooms/x/acid/coke etc.

5. is edm the main music genre? or is there a lot of hippie stuff too?

6. im assuming they have concessions...how much is beer/water/food?

7. what is the charge to go?

im sure ill think of more, but this will satisfy the craving for now...

okay, reading over some stuff, looks like there are no venders and you just carry something with you if you are riding or walking around...

best thing would be to have an rv with running water, i assume... how on earth do people go a week out there without showering??

it looks extremely gay/metro to me... too much for my taste i think... but i guess with almost 6 miles of stuff to see, you could find your preferred group to hang with

Last edited:
Seems pretty anti-metro to me.

Looking at Tron's video, it looks like a spring break frat brofest.

Ray - it's $300-800 to go, $50 to park.

Gay was the last thing that came to mind watching those vids.

Did you get turned on, Ray?

:chickendance:

1. how many days is it?

7 Official days. I'm often there for longer, helping set up or break down a theme camp. The unofficial days are some of the best, with so few people there, and watching all the stuff go up, etc.

2. where do you keep all your shit and where do you sleep?

At your camp, which is anything from being involved in a major theme-camp, to just showing up finding a place for your tent/rv/yurt/whatever.

3. how much theft goes on?

Almost none. The one thing that happens somewhat regularly is that fucked up people will ride away on random bikes that aren't there's, mostly if you leave one unlocked near one of the big soundcamps late in the night/early morning. My approach is to use a bike that no one else can ride.

4. is damn near everyone there high on something? weed/shrooms/x/acid/coke etc.

No. There are plenty of drugs, but most of the people you run into at any given time aren't high. There are a lot of crazy and dangerous things being done by people that need to be sober. And, it's a long event in a difficult environment. You gotta pace yourself.

5. is edm the main music genre? or is there a lot of hippie stuff too?

EDM is definitely the main genre, though it doesn't interest me at all. There is lots of music to find, but it's not primarily a music festival. There's a great jazz dome, and the French Quarter has very cool live music, including a flamethrowing tuba.

6. im assuming they have concessions...how much is beer/water/food?

Nope. Decommodification is a primary principal of the event. There are no vendors, with the only exceptions being that you can buy ice at several locations, and there is a little coffee shop that bmorg runs at center camp.

However, there are 100s of bars where people happily get you drunk for free, and all kinds of places giving away food.

7. what is the charge to go?

Tickets are $390 this year.

im sure ill think of more, but this will satisfy the craving for now...

okay, reading over some stuff, looks like there are no venders and you just carry something with you if you are riding or walking around...

best thing would be to have an rv with running water, i assume... how on earth do people go a week out there without showering??

it looks extremely gay/metro to me... too much for my taste i think... but i guess with almost 6 miles of stuff to see, you could find your preferred group to hang with

The camps I've stayed with always make some sort of shower rig. It's fairly vital. RVs work well.

If you can't find enjoyment out of watching a wide variety of people doing whatever the fuck they want, including being very, very gay, it probably wouldn't be worth it for you. You kinda gotta get into that groove of just appreciating the many different ways people enjoy themselves, especially the ones that you can't relate to at all.