Any whiskey drinkers?

• Start date
  • Replies 1,460 Comments
  • Views 116,318 Views
tried Macallan 10 year. Didn't realize that it wasn't on the list :facepalm: such a nice fancy bottle, not cheap.

but not good. taste is not pleasant. don't know what it is. I would guess it be peat but theres no mention of peat on bottle: oak, sherry :dunno:
would you say this flavor is typical of scotch? or just not a very good kind?

Most scotch tastes medicinal and is inferior to bourbons and American whiskeys.

That's the cliffs notes answer, Reno.

thanx Tron, I'm afraid that's the conclusion I'm stuck with too. But I so wanted to feel the same joy Hort did. :sad:

Most scotch tastes medicinal and is inferior to bourbons and American whiskeys.

That's the cliffs notes answer, Reno.

How can you call Dalmore 18 and Lagavulin inferior to anything?

Reno, the MacCallan 12 is the flagship bottle you must try. It was my first scotch that made me fall in love with scotches.

Reno Macallan has zero peat, it's at the other end of the spectrum where it's all sweet sherry-ness and dried fruit.

I'd say about 60% of all scotch has at least a bit of peat and/or some medicinal aspect. I got used to that real quick, now every sip of Lagavulin is a little bit of heaven.

Maybe you just don't like malted barley.

BTW I tend to avoid Macallan because it's prohibitively expensive in Ontario. But the couple bottlings I tried in bars were excellent.

do you expect the 10 year I had is very similar to the one you like? I notice you only rate 12 year+

Yeah the 18 is in direct filiation with the 10. The 10 is generally well regarded as an entry-level bottle.

I just buy what's available - younger scotch tends to be garbage but Ardmore is a 6-year old and it's excellent.

Oh man there's a lot of stuff I've had but never put on the list. I thought for sure Ardmore was on there.

I like the MAC 12 more than the 10 and 15..

Macallan killed off the age-statement bottles in Canada, all we get now are vaguely-named bottles with no age statement:

Gold

Amber

Sienna

Ruby

:dunno:

Apparently they don't have enough of the stuff to promise a minimum of 10/12/15/18 years so they came up with these names for the shittier markets like Canada.

Unreal.

I guess this is a good place to mention that I have taken a liking to Jameson lately.

Fokken deluxe whiskey.

I remember having it a few years ago and thinking it was serviceable but.....

Tastes really nice on the rocks after some melting has taken place.

:greencheck:

Jameson is quite alright. Bit too subtle when you're used to bourbon, but what the heck, it's perfectly good cheap whiskey.

Just came back from Quebec with two bottles of Fighting Cock, something that has become a bit of a ritual. That is the bourbon I served in cocktail form at my wedding - I had bought 12 bottles, intending to keep 3 to myself, but I forgot to take those 3 out and I just delivered all 12 to the caterer/bar service people. All 12 bottles were drank at the wedding, which wasn't a big affair (95 guests, of which only about 80 were of drinking age. Even non-whisky-drinkers were raving about it.

If you spot that bottle anywhere, buy it. It's cheap and it's totally overlooked.

1_91180750_3.jpg