Good
8. Jack Daniel's Old No. 7
9. Gentleman Jack
10. Jim Beam Black
11. Jefferson's
12. Jim Beam White

Bad
13. Wild Turkey 80

Organized the rankings to make them more meaningful - the scale goes from Bad to Good to Excellent to Crack-like.

We're getting all scientific in here.

Nice write up, Matty.

Have you or anyone not named Jello tried the Makers 46 yet? Would seem difficult to improve the taste of Makers.

I need to go back to that bar where I spotted a bottle of 46. They don't sell it at the liquor stores here.

I'm also am ambassador and so far all I have got is shit in the mail.

I disagree with the crack-like
nothing is cracklike:stevie:....
except crack/ice from what I;ve heard

Yeah but we call it crack-like because only total losers smoke crack.

Makers is crack for those that are smart enough not to throw their life away chasing a high they'll never get back again.

/gets all serious in a thread about bourbon

chase that dragon Daft:stretcher:
you'll never catch him

Nice write up, Matty.

Have you or anyone not named Jello tried the Makers 46 yet? Would seem difficult to improve the taste of Makers.

i have and it is richer

well worth it

bourbon wise, i have been keeping it local

1053031x.jpg

That's a pretty sexy bottle, kato

kato did you have the 46 in a bar or did you buy a bottle? Just curious as to how much more it costs. I posted in another thread about how much I paid for one glass of Makers last night in Miami.

$37 for a glass of Makers and a glass of white wine. The fuck?

i saw that...

fok man that is an expensive night

39 for 1/5 in utah, not at every store though

Boys they give a tour of the distillery

Gamelive Mini Bash?

Maker's Mark is aged for around 6 to 7 years, being bottled and marketed when expert tasters agree that it is ready. Maker's Mark is one of the few distillers to rotate the barrels from the upper to the lower levels of the aging warehouses during the aging process to benefit from the differences in temperature during the process.

Maker's Mark is sold in squarish bottles which are sealed with red wax. T. William Samuels' wife, Marjorie "Margie" Samuels, gave the whisky its name, drew its label, and thought up the wax dipping that gives the bottle its distinctive look. It was introduced to the market in 1959. Three varieties are marketed; the original, a mint julep flavor with green wax on the neck released seasonally in limited amounts, and 46, a variety flavored by introducing oak slats into the barrel toward the end of its aging.[3] The original is bottled at 90 U.S. proof (45% alcohol by volume).

so ya pay more for whiskey with oak boards dropped in at the end of the aging process?
after they've been aged in oak barrells????
wonder what they could charge dropping some pine/cherry or pecan in the barrell..
pecan makes for some good bar-b-que smoking

wow mikey just owned Makers 46 process. they have some splainin to do

Matty, get to the bottom of this ASAP you French Bastard (every time I say that I LOL after hearing about you vs Taco)

Matty Rain's Ranking of Bourbons and American Whiskeys So Far

Crack-like
1. Maker's Mark
2. Jack Daniel's Single Barrel
3. Bulleit

Excellent
4. Wild Turkey 101
5. 1792 Ridgemont Reserve
6. Elijah Craig 12 Years
7. Knob Creek
8. Woodford Reserve Something or Other

Good
9. Jack Daniel's Old No. 7
10. Gentleman Jack
11. Jim Beam Black
12. Jefferson's
13. Jim Beam White

Bad
14. Wild Turkey 80

New entry at #6, Elijah Craig 12 Years. That is one heavy, woody bourbon. I really like the strong oak notes, but it lacks the complexity of the higher-ranked offerings like JDSB, WT 101, Bulleit et al. Needed to cut it with water to tame the strong alcohol burn. Very good shit overall.

I also bought a bottle I'd never seen before, Fighting Cock. Aged only 6 years but it looks as dark as this 12-year EJ. Reviews are promising - will open it later this weekend.

:dance:

Matty's Ranking of Bourbons and Tennessee Whiskeys

Crack-like
1. Maker's Mark
3. Bulleit
4. Fighting Cock

Excellent
5. Wild Turkey 101
6. 1792 Ridgemont Reserve
7. Elijah Craig 12 Years
8. Knob Creek
9. Woodford Reserve Something or Other

Good
10. Jim Beam Black
11. Jack Daniel's Old No. 7
12. Gentleman Jack
13. Jefferson's
14. Jim Beam White

Bad
15. Wild Turkey 80

Fighting Cock makes a strong entrance at #4. Bought this in Montreal over the weekend - had never heard of it before and only one liquor store in our govt-owned chain was carrying it. This is a true "boutique" small-batch bourbon.

I was wary of its high proof (103) but it turned out to taste surprisingly smooth. This is heavy on rye, like Bulleit, another one of my faves. Bulleit is more on the smoky/woody end of the bourbon spectrum while FC is sweeter and more cereal-y. Cutting it with water keeps your tongue from going instantly numb but it doesn't open up the flavors, so this is best tasted neat IMO. At $33, this is only 4 bucks more expensive than regular JD and Beam Black and $4 less expensive than Maker's Mark - tremendous value! Well played, Fighting Cock! :bowdown:

Last edited:
very good thread

Matty's Ranking of Bourbons and Tennessee Whiskeys

Crack-like
1. Maker's Mark
3. Buffalo Trace
4. Bulleit
5. Fighting Cock

Excellent
6. Wild Turkey 101
7. 1792 Ridgemont Reserve
8. Elijah Craig 12 Years
9. Knob Creek
10. Woodford Reserve Something or Other

Good
11. Jim Beam Black
12. Jack Daniel's Old No. 7
13. Gentleman Jack
14. Jefferson's
15. Jim Beam White

Bad
16. Wild Turkey 80

Only one liquor store in central Toronto carries Buffalo Trace, which is a shame. I have read bourbon tasting notes where the reviewers used "vanilla" and "floral" as descriptive terms for some of the other bourbons I've tried before and it seemed pretty preposterous. Well fok me, this stuff actually smells like vanilla and some kind of floral aroma I can't pinpoint. This is by far the most complex blend of aromas I've experienced in a bourbon - I don't even feel qualified to describe it accurately.

My preference still goes to simpler (Maker's Mark), woodier (JD Single Barrel) whiskeys or even those rye-heavy bourbons (Bulleit, Fighting Cock), but there's no denying that this is special stuff.

Opening with a bang at #3, Buffalo Trace. :clap:

buffalo-trace-bourbon.jpg

foken snobs

i'm drinking ice house beer and posting from my phone on 1-80 right now