Any whiskey drinkers?

• Start date
  • Replies 1,463 Comments
  • Views 119,337 Views
Matty Rain's Ranking of Scotch Whiskies

Crack-Like
1. Dalmore 18 - wowowowowow. Full-bodied and endless finish. Everything I love in a whisky, caramel, wood, char, fruit and spice. I might have to try haven't

Excellent
2. Glenfiddich 15 - extremely easy to drink. Great great nose, mostly apples. Light body, feels quite watery. Great fruity finish. Currently drinking this got it for $35 in Costa Rica
3. Aberlour A'bunadh - powerful shit, nose and palate are strong on raisins and plums. 60%+ ABV, not for the novice.
4. Glenmorangie 12 "The Original"
5. Glenfiddich 21
6. Johnnie Walker Blue Way over priced blended shit
7. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
8. The Glenlivet 15 Nice scotch

Good
9. Lagavulin 16
10. Glenfiddich 12 A nice entry point for learning about scotch
11. Johnnie Walker Black

Bad
12. Ballantine's Finest
13. Johnnie Walker Red First scotch I ever tried dont' know why I actually acquired a taste for good scotch after this shit.

[Will complete tasting notes later.]

The fact that Cardu didn't make your list makes me question your scotch knowledge.... excellent single malt scotch for the price. It was and may be still is one of the scotches that is used in Johnny walker blue.

Dude, these are all the scotches I've tried so far. Gimme some suggestions on what to try next.

I remember Matty once LOL'd @ us when we sung the praises of a 14 yr Balvenie Carribean Cask

But we have Matty to thank for the Bourbon List

The best bourbon is still better than the best Scotch IMO

I doubt I lol'ed, but yeah, I had and still have a strong dislike for scotches that have this astringent taste, like all the Johnnie Walkers and Ballantine's. Have no idea why anyone enjoys drinking stuff that tastes medicinal.

And I have to admit that Dalmore 18 is better than any bourbon I've tried. Glenfiddich 15 and Aberlour A'bunadh are way up there with the best from Kentucky too.

So many scotches to try still, man.

If you need to try shitty scotches.... try and drink queen anne.... OMG they shouldn't be allowed to call that scotch. Cardu is an excellent scotch and for a nice relatively inexpensive scotch try McCleallands speyside, a nice single malt

Matty
Had me some makers mixed with cherry and orange liqeour. Very smooth. I followed it with an amaretto sour and a pitcher of sangria.

Good job Muse. Try it neat next time though - even girls sip straight MM

We drank Bulleit for the first time in a while last night, bar was carrying it. We're happy to report that its ranking stays the same. Great fokken stuff that reminds us we should try a straight rye whiskey soon. We loooove rye-heavy bourbon like Bulleit and Fighting Cock. :bowdown:

:bowdown:

Yes, Bulleit is TOP notch. If we hadn't had a sore throat for 9 days we would have had some this weekend.

Matty, the day has come

Matty, we have our own barrel

Matty, we are etched on barrel #804186

Ambassador since 2/19/11

:owl:

:bowdown:

Yes, Bulleit is TOP notch. If we hadn't had a sore throat for 9 days we would have had some this weekend.

How the fuck you have a sore throat for NINE days!? Get that shit checked out.

Matty, the day has come

Matty, we have our own barrel

Matty, we are etched on barrel #804186

Ambassador since 2/19/11

:owl:

Wot? I saw that weeks ago and I told senco he was on the same barrell as I. You on there too?

Dood, we gonna need to buy that barrel when it's ready. Maker's Mark Gamelive Reserve :dance:

Matty's Ranking of Bourbons and Tennessee Whiskeys

Crack-like
1. Jack Daniel's Single Barrel
2. Maker's 46
3. Maker's Mark
4. Buffalo Trace
5. Bulleit
6. Eagle Rare Single Barrel
7. Fighting Cock

Excellent
8. Wild Turkey 101
9. Woodford Reserve Something or Other
10. Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve
11. Knob Creek
12. Four Roses (yellow label, 80 proof)
13. Four Roses Small Batch
14. Old Fitzgerald's 1849
15. 1792 Ridgemont Reserve
16. Elijah Craig 12 Years

Good
17. Corner Creek
18. Jim Beam Black
19. Jack Daniel's Old No. 7
20. Gentleman Jack
21. Jefferson's
22. Jim Beam White

Bad
23. Wild Turkey 80

I'm sorry but we have to do this. Been thinking about it for months. JD Single Barrel was always ranked below regular Maker's Mark on a pure technicality - price. Truth is, it is our favorite American whiskey by far, and all the other whiskeys we listed here were ranked regardless of price.

We adore JDSB. The traditional JD flavour profile is there and is concentrated in a much smoother, richer, sweeter, oakier, more enjoyable package. It is one of those whiskeys that makes us close our eyes and smile. It is special.

Ladies and gentlemen, your new king - Jack Daniel's Single Barrel. :clap::10::clap:

ProductImage.aspx

can it really be that good Matty? I hate regular jd, and I don't like Makers Mark

I suggest trying it at a bar reno, a lot of places carry it.

But yes, it is that much of an improvement over Old No. 7. It's aged longer and better by being allowed to experience a wider temperature range.

How much is the bottle? They charge $8 for a shot of Crown over here. A nice bottle is like $25 at store. I don't have a lot of confidence I could get it at a bar. They'd probably slip me some Old Crow

Prices are outrageous in Ontario.

Jim Beam White is $26
Regular JD is $30
Maker's is $37
Most premium bourbon is $40-50
JD Single Barrel is $52
Small batch Beam stuff (Booker's, Baker's, Basil Hayden's) is between $55 and $70

Matty I am purchasing a bottle of the JD tonight after reading that and seeing if it's for me.

I make more money than I need and if I have an issue it's boredom.

This could go well.

Gunning vodka and Gatorade is fun and all but I have felt like it has been tearing me up recently.

I will be ordering a nice steak and calamari from a nice restaurant in town and sipping JD Single Malt as I watch Philly/Mtl.

MAJOR development here boys!

JD Single taking over as the NEW king of sip.

oWowow.

It's now in our Must Try ASAP category.

I still shake my head when I see how much they charge for the Jim Beam boutique bourbons.

Give me Makers over that stuff any day.

Matty I am purchasing a bottle of the JD tonight after reading that and seeing if it's for me.

I make more money than I need and if I have an issue it's boredom.

This could go well.

Gunning vodka and Gatorade is fun and all but I have felt like it has been tearing me up recently.
I will be ordering a nice steak and calamari from a nice restaurant in town and sipping JD Single Malt as I watch Philly/Mtl.

stick with the vodka...