Another song-that-sounds-like-a-song lawsuit

• Start date
  • Replies 73 Comments
  • Views 5,428 Views
Another important consideration is subject matter. You have to look at melody, instrumentation and subject matter.

In the case of Blurred Lines versus Got to Give it Up: they are both about guys wanting to get with wimmin.

That's pretty suspicious. Not many songs about that.

Just doing an Ain't That Peculiar/Happy comparison.

I mean jesus fuck. I am doing so many extreme eyerolls they are getting in the way of my facepalms.

I cried so much just like a child thats lost its toy
Maybe baby you think these tears i cry are tears of joy
A child can cry so much until you do everything they say
But unlike a child my tears don't help me to get my way
I know love can last through years
But how can love last through tears

Oh yeah, that's exactly like Happy.

Most songs are copies of other songs. You can't convince me that the Rolling Stones haven't copied Neanderthal songs.

All I know is I have been sitting here all day, naked from the waist down, with my legs spread. I have been waiting for Tom Petty.

He hasn't blown me yet - but he definitely can blow me.

Just doing an Ain't That Peculiar/Happy comparison.

I mean jesus fuck. I am doing so many extreme eyerolls they are getting in the way of my facepalms.

I cried so much just like a child thats lost its toy
Maybe baby you think these tears i cry are tears of joy
A child can cry so much until you do everything they say
But unlike a child my tears don't help me to get my way
I know love can last through years
But how can love last through tears

Oh yeah, that's exactly like Happy.

Not to be a Sammy Stickler but I don't think anyone is concerned with the lyrical similarities of those songs.

Maybe you were just thinging and I wasn't supposed to take it seriously and if so I apologize and please thing away.

Thinging is fun and I'm a fan.

:handshake:

Someone made a mash-up video, Got to Give Up the Blurred Lines. I don't know if they had an agenda on one side or the other. For me, the takeaway is - the songs have the same beat but don't sound the same at all (which I already thought anyway).

The Marvin Gaye song does not fit in with the Blurred Line music worth a shit.

Not exactly to be honest. :dunno:

Willing to just roll with it tho.

Have to admit, I was just at the grocery store - and Tom Petty, Freefallin' came on the P.A. - I was kinda singing along and rockin' with the refrain.

I was thinking, 'fuck you with the Sam Smith thing - but I'd rather be hearing this than a lot of things.'

The world ---> full of gray areas.

Regarding the Blurred Lines lawsuit btw ---> it was a unanimous decision. Jury was 8-0 in favor of yes, rip-off.

The musical plagiarism lawsuit that always seemed correct to me - although I don't want to believe it because I am about a million times as much a fan of George Harrison as The Chiffons - but yeah, My Sweet Lord sure sounds real close to the melody of He's So Fine which came out ~7 years before.

A vid with both if anyone is interested. It switches at about the 1:50 mark

Definitely some HUGH melodic similarity but most likely not intentional

:dunno:

What Harrison has working for him there is different tempo and much different production.

Well played, George.

If you are not copying other artists songs you are not trying hard enough.

In terms of tempo, I find those two closer to each other than the Tom Petty/Sam Smith situation. I saw a video with the He's So Fine vocals over the My Sweet Lord music. Pretty good fit for long stretches.

Neither pair matches up production-wise.

The melodic similarity with George Harrison is greater than Sam Smith IMO.

I agree with your IMO.

The Tom Petty/Sam Smith thing is a head scratcher.

It's tough tho. One of my own songs - I had been working on it forever. Getting down to the end stages. Suddenly I am listening to an instrumental section and I realize I can sing over it - in perfect fit

Ground control to Major Tom
Ground control to Major Tom

I had a few influences I was fully aware of as I was going along - not that I was copying but there was a known effect I was going for ---> but that one ----> complete accident.

Anyway, it's pretty hard to imagine George Harrison thinking he desperately needed to gleep material from The Chiffons to get his music career on its feet.