All Were Asking is to Learn English.

• Start date
  • Replies 122 Comments
  • Views 12,846 Views
:thumbsup:

zef is becoming norm

who the fuk wants to be normal

everybody wants to be a star

wouldn't it be cool if emmi was shari incognito?

Rogue, ask me a few questions about betting and you will soon know I am not Shari in cognito. :)

i don't think you're ghost

tutto benne, dispiace

mister monkey is this your most successful thread?

If your going by the numbers, then yes, but I believe when I'm long gone from this life and 100 years from now some of my lesser known threads will become masterpieces!
:mrmonkey:

Matt Rain, I hear some schools in Florida and Arizona do that but will ask my friend for specifics. But think about this...where would kids of diplomats attend school, for example? Yes, those schools are private but I want to find out if public ones also are out there...bear with me.

My step-daughters attend a bilingual public school in Florida. One of the first bilingual schools in the country.

My step-daughters attend a bilingual public school in Florida. One of the first bilingual schools in the country.

How do those work? Like half and half for each language depending on the class? The two "best" (most expensive) schools here teach in all English for every subject even though obviously most everyones first language is Spanish. I guess they do it by teaching English when they start in kindergarten, I dunno, that won't be an issue for us obviously, but I'm trying to figure out how to do this so Emily can go to the USA for college.

but I'm trying to figure out how to do this so Emily can go to the USA for college.

The best thing you can do is to bring Emily up in bilingual household (that being you speaking to her in English and her mother in her mother tongue, presumably Spanish, since it's always better for each parent to speak to the child in the language they are most comfortable in). The child language acquisition hits a maximum rate of retention at a relatively young age (and is more difficult by the time they even reach kindergarten age). It really shouldn't be all that difficult to give her a good head start in this although I'd recommend a good book to cover the basics.

The best thing you can do is to bring Emily up in bilingual household (that being you speaking to her in English and her mother in her mother tongue, presumably Spanish, since it's always better for each parent to speak to the child in the language they are most comfortable in). The child language acquisition hits a maximum rate of retention at a relatively young age (and is more difficult by the time they even reach kindergarten age). It really shouldn't be all that difficult to give her a good head start in this although I'd recommend a good book to cover the basics.

Also, it depends what your "family language" will be. Say your spouse speaks English with you regularly, then it might be more natural if you two communicate in English while she still speaks Spanish with the child. If you also speak Spanish, then you guys might speak Spanish at home alone. If the family language is the "foreign language," then the child might start to speak a bit later than children who would be raised in English alone BUT as soon as the kiddo speaks, he/she will be able to speak both languages. My brother is an English linguist and married to an American woman. They live in the US and their kids are amazing. They speak both Italian and English perfectly (NO accent) and their "family language" is Italian. Now the older child entered Kindergarten and obviously speaks more English but the Italian language skills are so manifested in her that this does not matter. She is hysterical. When I read her a book, she would tell me: "Aunt Emmi, you mispronounced that word." :)

They teach half in Spanish and half in English. They also have a Spanish class so they have an extra lesson each day, which gives them less time to do work in class. We usually have 2 hours of homework every night (4th grade). They speak Spanish at their Grandmother's house and English at our house. Mrs. McB will speak to them in Spanish some of the time, but mostly in English. I am still way behind in learning Spanish.

They teach half in Spanish and half in English. They also have a Spanish class so they have an extra lesson each day, which gives them less time to do work in class. We usually have 2 hours of homework every night (4th grade). They speak Spanish at their Grandmother's house and English at our house. Mrs. McB will speak to them in Spanish some of the time, but mostly in English. I am still way behind in learning Spanish.

Often, children tend to go through a phase where they reject the language that seems to be spoken less when they grow up in a bilingual home (i.e. mother speaks Spanish, dad speaks English). A friend of mine has a Spanish mom and an American dad and grew up in America. She hated Spanish with a passion when she was in her early teens, even rejected to speak Spanish with her mom for a while. This is very common but later on, these kids are bilingual as well and as soon as they realize the benefits of being fluent in more than one language. Another friend of mine is Eurasian and she went through the same process. You and your wife can truly be proud of yourselves to make such an effort to raise your daughter bilingually! A German friend of mine is married to an American soldier. They all live in the US now and merely speak English. The kid can now not communicate with his grandparents. :(

Emmi, you have brought so much class and sophistication to this thread! TY! :hattip:

Baggio, come out of hiding and say hello to our Italian princess! :italia: