Al Davis Loses Patience With JaMarcus Russell

Polaroid

I need a tittle
Since
Jan 21, 2010
Score
Tokens
The writing was on the wall when he turned up to training camp in March weighing 290 pounds, moreso when he was rumored to have tipped the scales at 300 pounds in April and by the time that a trade was made for Washington's Jason Campbell a fortnight ago it looked like game over for JaMarcus Russell's time in Oakland. And today, less than three years into a six year $68 million contract, the decision was made to cut Russell from the Oakland Raiders.

With a return of only seven wins over three years at an outlay of $36 million, the decision was made to cut the ties and pay the $3 million owed in 2010 but saving just short of $6.5 million by not having him on the 2010 roster. At a rate of over $2 million per touchdown pass and $0.1 million per completion, the disastrous return on the contact handed to Russell will surely make him the poster child for a push for a rookie salary cap during the upcoming collective-bargaining negotiations to prevent the multi-million dollar contracts being handed to young unproven players.

campaaacg.jpg

After being taken as the #1 overall pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, Russell's time at Oakland was controversial right from the start as he held out on his contract negotiation until after the start of the 2007 season. With missing all of training camp, it was no surprise that it took until December to get his first start where he repaid the goodwill and money of the Raiders by throwing an interception in his first professional pass.

Russell, still only 24, will now go down as one of NFL's biggest draft busts and he will be happy to leave Oakland with over half the money from his contract and, more importantly, injury free since it's pretty much a certainty that another team will pick him up and try to rediscover the form that made him the most coveted young talent only three years ago.

What exactly is a JaMarcus? Is this a real person's name or is this a joke?

I believe JaMarcus was a running joke in Oakland for three years.

How can a professional athlete make over 11 million/season disrespect not only his teammates/ownership, but his fans, his family and himself like this?

Is this guy stupid? What is the American university/college system like? This guy did go to a legit college/university right? I'm being serious. I don't follow football period. Same with baseball or basketball. Are these athletes borderline slow? I really am being serious. I really don't know what to make of these guys who come out of college/university and play in the NBA/NFL. Some of them really appear to be borderline slow.

Is this guy stupid? What is the American university/college system like? This guy did go to a legit college/university right? I'm being serious. I don't follow football period. Same with baseball or basketball. Are these athletes borderline slow? I really am being serious. I really don't know what to make of these guys who come out of college/university and play in the NBA/NFL. Some of them really appear to be borderline slow.

Although no doubt the college sports system is in place to ensure the universities can earn a ton of revenue on the back of unpaid athletes, it's not such a bad thing. At least those wanting to go into sports career (and where 99% will ultimately fail) end up with a college degree to fall back on. However, they are often not the brightest bulbs in the box. They tend to be placed on courses which are the least educationally taxing and they are given a lot of assistance if necessary to maintain the bare minimum of academic standards.

The biggest problem is you get a relatively poor and uneducated kid handed more money than he would otherwise see if he lived his life ten times over. It should be no surprise when you've been given $40 million in guaranteed money that you much of your interest in the sport.

my humble opinion jamarcus russell is brillant...

millionaire with out any work...

I was speaking on the phone yesterday with the TV on mute in front of me. It was on a sports channel and I could see they had started talking about Jamarcus Russell.

I was half watching as they showed the first highlite . . . he drops back and unleashes a pass . . . the ball spirals through the air in slow motion . . .

You guessed it. There were three defenders in a line and the ball went into the hands of the one in the middle. Not one of Russell's Raiders teammates was even in the frame.

To the extreme puzzlement of the person I was on the phone with, I just started laughing in her ear.

However, they are often not the brightest bulbs in the box. They tend to be placed on courses which are the least educationally taxing and they are given a lot of assistance if necessary to maintain the bare minimum of academic standards.

How can someone admit they have a university degree or a college diploma when they take courses that are least educationally taxing? I have a B.Comm from one of the best business programs/universities in Canada and not one of my core courses were a cakewalk. Even my free electives involved term papers and a decent amount of study/prep time.

It sounds to me like the American university/college curriculum and admission standards is vastly inferior to Canada's educational curriculum and admission requirements.

Can someone tell me what type of least educationally taxing type of course these types of athletes take? I hope cooking Kraft Diner and general lawn mower maintenance isn't one of them.

I'm seriously curious and am looking forward to reading responses.

Bachelor's Degree in Leisure Studies

More and more today, leisure plays an important role in all of our lives. A Bachelor's Degree in Leisure Studies provides students with an opportunity to study the phenomenon of leisure in our society. A Leisure Studies Degree Program includes courses that will instruct students to use free time in a productive manner and to professionally prepare individuals to help others improve their quality of life through leisure activities.
What is a Bachelor's in Leisure Studies?

One thing that attracts many students to a BA in Leisure Studies is the adaptability and versatility of what such a degree prepares students for. A Bachelor's in Leisure Studies could cover topics from National Park Recreation to Sports Franchise Management to Recreational Therapy. Everyone has their own pastimes and leisure activities; a BA in Leisure Studies formalizes the study of these human behaviors.
Coursework and Requirements

Considering the diverse approaches that exist in Leisure Studies, it can be hard to predict what each program will require of students. Much of the coursework and details of the curriculum will depend upon the emphasis each program offers. BA tracks may include classes such as:

* Perspectives in Leisure
* Administration of Recreation and Sport
* Psychosociological Dynamics of Leisure Behavior
* Research Perspectives Health Promotion and Recreation
* Recreation Program Design

Bachelor's Degree in Leisure Studies

More and more today, leisure plays an important role in all of our lives. A Bachelor's Degree in Leisure Studies provides students with an opportunity to study the phenomenon of leisure in our society. A Leisure Studies Degree Program includes courses that will instruct students to use free time in a productive manner and to professionally prepare individuals to help others improve their quality of life through leisure activities.
What is a Bachelor's in Leisure Studies?

One thing that attracts many students to a BA in Leisure Studies is the adaptability and versatility of what such a degree prepares students for. A Bachelor's in Leisure Studies could cover topics from National Park Recreation to Sports Franchise Management to Recreational Therapy. Everyone has their own pastimes and leisure activities; a BA in Leisure Studies formalizes the study of these human behaviors.
Coursework and Requirements

Considering the diverse approaches that exist in Leisure Studies, it can be hard to predict what each program will require of students. Much of the coursework and details of the curriculum will depend upon the emphasis each program offers. BA tracks may include classes such as:

* Perspectives in Leisure
* Administration of Recreation and Sport
* Psychosociological Dynamics of Leisure Behavior
* Research Perspectives Health Promotion and Recreation
* Recreation Program Design

Good Lord!!! Is this a joke?

no, lol

offered at the University of Utah

Yes Polaroid, once they have the new agreement, there will be and deserving so a limit on rookie contracts. This guy alone gives the owners almo for their argument. The players should be smart and agree with it but somehow incorporate the money over to the guys who weren't drafted in the 1st round but by their play deserve it.

Guys like Chris Johnson and DeSaun Jackson have proven how good they are but limited it their leverage now to get more money until their initial contract is over. The Eagles I believe will somehow pay Jackson but with Drew Ronsenhaus being his agent will shall see?

DeSaun Jackson??? Is this a real person? What the phak is it with all these strange names.

Only in America!!!

Many college football players don't even graduate from the crappy programs they are in anyway.

DeSaun Jackson??? Is this a real person? What the phak is it with all these strange names.

Only in America!!!

Are they worse than French Canadian names though?

wtf is a Heloise Hettie anyways? :banghead:

Puckster I bet you are a big Flix-Gabriel Marchand fan.

:popcorn: