AFL (Aussie Rules) thread for saturday 4/10/2010. Power vs Lions

• Start date
  • Replies 28 Comments
  • Views 5,151 Views
Please enjoy this preview :popcorn:

Both sides remain undefeated going into Saturday's game despite being pushed in the opening two rounds.
The power blew a 40-point lead the last time these two teams met and although they showed mental toughness to come from behind to win against the eagles last week this commentator feels as though the eagles lost the game more than the power had it won. Brisbane (lions) appear more imposing this year, with skipper Jonathan Brown and ex-Carlton spearhead Brendan Fevola combining to form the most potent goalkicking partnership in the competition. Port Adelaide's improved defence has not conceded 100 points in a game this season but Brown and Fevola, who have kicked half the Lions' goals this year, will put that to the test this week.

Freakish utility Jared Brennan (suspended) is a big out for the Lions but a nine-day break between games could give the visitors an edge over the Power, who are coming off the toughest road trip in football, whilst Former Cat Jason Devonport popped up with four last-quarter goals to snatch victory for Port Adelaide last weekend. Davenport was also dangerous, albeit inaccurate, in round one with a return of 1.3 against North Melbourne and is a player who can ignite the Power with his gut running and tackling. Lions skipper Jonathan Brown is in arguably career-best form, having bagged 12 goals in the opening two rounds. The fearless forward has averaged four goals in his last four games against the Power and will prove a tough match-up for either Alipate Carlile or Troy Chaplin.

Can Brendan Fevola continue his good form at AAMI Stadium? The controversial Lions' recruit had 15 scoring shots in two games at the venue last year, including a bag of six goals against the Power in round 20. Also, can Port Adelaide match it with a genuine finals contender? The Power have impressed in the opening two rounds with narrow wins over North Melbourne and West Coast, but will need to take their game to another level to conquer the Lions.

In conclusion Port Adelaide gained enormous self-belief from the win out west and should be bolstered by the return of skilful midfielder Robbie Gray, whilst Brown looms as the Power's biggest threat. If Port can reproduce the defensive pressure generated in their first two games for the entire match then they will be off to their best start since their 2004 premiership season, however this previewer sees the forward pressure from the lions as being too much and its for this reason that im taking the brisbane lions +6.5 (-114) for 1 unit(betfair)

GL guys and remember i only post my strong leans in the hope that we can all benefit from this :yes:

by the way this match starts at 1:10am ET

good late night action :thumbup:

line is long gone though, damn

If u have a betfair account then the lines still should be available.....RJ i am terribly tempted to put a unit on the lions to take this outright but still too early in the season for me to make that prediction without the degree of confidence necessary......

Guys its also windy here so im thinking that if the prop for either side under 15 goals is available then take it as its very difficult to kick straight when the wind is up at aami stadium due to the swirl...:thumbup:

Damn I missed this one. :fro:

Thanks for the winner from last night though xpansive and good luck with this one. :cheers:

i hate to call them this early but this has the making of a whoop ass

morty watch it, its good tv

Damn I missed this one. :fro:

Thanks for the winner from last night though xpansive and good luck with this one. :cheers:

Thanks morty. Always good to help fellow posters make $$$ :laugh:

i hate to call them this early but this has the making of a whoop ass

morty watch it, its good tv

Lions up by 7 goals and we're not even halfway through the 2nd quarter :clap: