Adderall Is Baseball's New HGH

Polaroid

I need a tittle
Since
Jan 21, 2010
Score
Tokens
Over the past few months both the Commissioner's Office and The MLB Player's Association have been publicaly discussing the current elephant in the room which is casting a cloud over baseball, that being the issue of Human Growth Hormone. HGH was banned in 2005 but today there is still no test system implemented (there are no current urine tests for the drug and blood testing of players has not yet been agreed) and so Bud Selig has to rely on the morals of players to abide by the rules to keep his sport clean. However, it was that type of system that was the ultimate fuel to Selig's Steroid Era - relying on player morality to stamp out drugs is as smart as letting Garry Glitter look after your children.

With all the negotiation between the players and the MLB management taking place, the media circus around Mark McGwire in St. Louis and the arrest of a Toronto based physician who was in posession of HGH we have a situation where probably the most important drug related story of the offseason has had precious few column inches. That story is concerning Adderall which was again linked to baseball where the alledged use of it by Jason Kendall, the catcher for the Kansas City Royals, was brought up in court papers this week by his wife Chantel during divorce proceedings.

balefaacc.jpg

Adderall is a amphetamine and dextroamphetamine based drug which increases the levels of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain and is commonly given to people suffering from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). But when given to a baseball player it can increase levels of concentration and alertness while reducing fatigue levels and, as long as you have a prescription, it is totally legal and not on the MLB banned substance list. More interesting is the fact that the Kendall disclosure shed a little more light on the MLB drug testing press release in January, the first time that such information has been released. The report noted that fourteen players tested positive for amphetamines but 106 tested positive for ADHD drugs which is an increase from 28 in 2008. That means 7.6% of players on MLB rosters have been diagnosed with ADHD.

Dr. Gary Wadler is the chairman of the committee that ascertains what appears on the World Anti-Doping Agency banned-substances list and he was surprised at the figures.

"This is incredible. This is quite spectacular. There seems to be an epidemic of ADD in major league baseball. I've been in private practice for a lot of years. I can count on one hand the number of individuals that have ADD. To say that (7.86%) of major league baseball players have attention deficit disorder is crying out of an explanation. It is to me as an internist so off the map of my own experience."

Over to you, Mr. Selig.

Jason Kendall has like 4 lifetime homers, that shit must not work very well

LOL Jason Kendall. He can put whatever he wants in his body...he's been a world of suck for many years now. No worse sinking feeling than having money on a team that is rallying and seeing Kendall in the on-deck circle. Fuck I'm dreading baseball season pain.

Think about how bad Jason Kendall would be if he didn't take the stuff.

Polaroid is this something you authored or is there a link?

Think about how bad Jason Kendall would be if he didn't take the stuff.

That's usually the case with performance enhancing anything. For your average guys, taking them is a way of getting some kind of long term contract they would never usually get and for borderline career minor leaguers it's the only chance to get anything at all.

Polaroid is this something you authored or is there a link?

I must admit guilt for it, it was written up from a number of sources over the past couple of months. Did you want a link to any of the specifics?

Yes that would be excellent Polaroid.

I would of taken this stuff when I played if I had some.

Yes that would be excellent Polaroid.

I meant a specific specific, as in if there was a certain part/statistic/quote you wanted to see a source for.

its not a war on drugs,
its a war on personal freedom

adderall is a basic amphetamine.......

Baseball players have been taking amphetamines before steroids were even invited........ it just wasn't an issue back in those days (50's, 60's ect) it was an accepted practice to take greenies....no one cared, no one understood.

the best benefit that steroids, hgh, and uppers all have in common.... is the ability to play as many games out of a 162 game schedule as possible. roids and hgh give you a much faster actual physical recovery from minor bumps and bruises and just plain old fatigue.

amphetamines just help mask the cumulative and physical weariness and side effects from the aforementioned bumps and bruises. The body is still broken down.... you just don't feel it really...... that is the big difference between anabolics and uppers. with one your body is actually "more capable" and with the other you just don't "feel" how incapable you are slowly becoming.

the strength/muscle mass addition is not really as big of an advantage with roids/hgh as everyone assumes, as the advantage in strength is balanced out by a much increased injury proneness... injuries that roids won't help you recover from in 16-20 hrs to play through.

going back to Jason Kendall, I think he is a perfect example of a guy that was using basic steroids early in his career, and you see that in his Power numbers.... than he had his horrific ankle injury which IMO was 99% due to his excessive steroid use..... he almost separated his foot from his leg, just by running to first..... weak tendons and ligaments are HUGE side effect of steroid use.

after that injury he was afraid to use steroids... he turned to or just relied upon the stimulants he was already using.... did this help him?
yes... he would have had to retire at 29 withouth them. there is no way a lifelong catcher lasts as long as he did in baseball without alot of uppers...believe me adderall was not his only "magic potion"

as far as the number of guys in baseball taking "prescribed" medication? well the 7% number is not that much higher than the general population in the mental health field these days. not by a long shot, i'm not sure what that doctor is talking about......

but if you go into any elementary school and pick out a classroom of 20 kids, i'm pretty sure that there are at least 2 kids in there that are ON adhd meds, whether they need it or not....and there is prob another one that NEEDS adhd drugs and isn't on them.....