• Start date
  • Replies 26 Comments
  • Views 1,992 Views

Herman

Since
Jan 29, 2010
Score
Tokens
You should be receiving your form in the next few days.

Are you going to fill it out? Normally I probably wouldn't, however if you do not fill out the form you will be visited in person and the information will be asked. I believe you are legally required to participate in the Census, so it would make sense just to mail the form in if you do not want to be bothered at a later date, in person.

If you fill out the form and fill out stupid random shit on it, you will be called until you answer the phone to clarify the information.

The only good thing about this damn thing is the amount of jobs it creates, and we literally do nothing.

Yeah, this will now be my second Census since college (fuck me I'm old :banghead:), and just like voting, I do it early. Although I think the Census has serious flaws, I do appreciate that it was intended primarily to apportion seats in the House. It's a shame it doesn't work the way it should, but nothing is to be gained by refusing to participate.

Herman, what's your take on the use of standard data vs. sampling data in the census? Also, have you counted 3/5ths of a black person yet?

Not sure what you mean, I guess the process of counting everyone instead of a representative sample? Don't really know enough about the entire scope of the census, other than the organizational flaws that I have learned in about two weeks time. Not sure what you mean about 3/5ths of a black person, either.

I guess since the census determines dollars and locations for schools, hospitals, etc. that they have to count everyone, because you might as well count everyone as opposed to samples of small amounts of people. The government should contract the damn thing out to save money because a private enterprise would be more efficient than what I'm seeing run by the government.

For anyone looking for easy work that will pay you about $15/hour+mileage, I worked for them for a coupe months, they treat you pretty good

Not sure what you mean, I guess the process of counting everyone instead of a representative sample? Don't really know enough about the entire scope of the census, other than the organizational flaws that I have learned in about two weeks time. Not sure what you mean about 3/5ths of a black person, either.

I'll start with the Three-fifths compromise. During the Constitutional Convention of 1787 in Philly, a seemingly irreconcilable impasse was encountered on the manner in which States were to be represented in Congress. The Southern States wanted their slaves to count as residents (they must've forgotten about the fact that they'd have to pay taxes on the slaves too at that point), which the North vehemently objected to because it would've placed them in a hopeless minority in the House. A compromise was brokered which remains in the Constitution of the U.S. to this day. Let me turn your attention to Article One, Section Two, Paragraph Three:

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.

Thus while other Federal laws have rendered that clause to be moot, it remains an indelible part of our history.

got mine today. on the outside of the envelope it says, "It's the law". Just for that I'm going to throw it away. If they want to know about me they can ask the CIA, they have a file.

Wow. How does someone graduate college and not know about the 3/5 clause?

You should be receiving your form in the next few days.

I doubt it, though the IRS certainly sends me mail.

Are you going to fill it out?

Nope.

Normally I probably wouldn't, however if you do not fill out the form you will be visited in person and the information will be asked. I believe you are legally required to participate in the Census, so it would make sense just to mail the form in if you do not want to be bothered at a later date, in person.

Lol

bread, be honest, you didnt know about the 3/5 clause right?

filled mine out yesterday and sent it back
I am a model citizen

I take it mmike received the short form.

I was actually going to post a thread about this census a few weeks back but figured there are too many Canadians and foreigners to give a shit.

I am paying the taxes for all 18 of them I think.

Wow. How does someone graduate college and not know about the 3/5 clause?

By getting a degree in any field other than history? Only US History class I've taken was in the 11th grade in high school, in a class full of hot girls showing all kind of skin. I wasn't paying attention.

I take it mmike received the short form.

I was actually going to post a thread about this census a few weeks back but figured there are too many Canadians and foreigners to give a shit.

Well our President really doesn't see a problem with this story so who knows.

He's probably figuring out how to get them as registered voters.