$179 million for a Picasso

• Start date
  • Replies 301 Comments
  • Views 23,792 Views
These are cool. I'm going to do as Matty does because it's a good idea not because I want to be like him or anything like that.

I can't have the same wallpaper as him that's crossing the line.

Someone post my new Wallpaper.

I do like the Jackson Pollocks. No doubt they are overpriced and, yes, a lot of them seem easily replicable - moreso than just about any other category of painting - but hey, he did them and I like them.

Some things cost too much. You know what costs too much? Diamonds. Diamonds are rocks.

Looking at all these paintings posted here is proof that you should not buy art while being under the influence of powerful hallucinogenic drugs.

Good drug joke Saulty. Well done.

Thread has gone on altogether too long without Kandinsky.

th

I did some Kandinsky circles with some kids last summer

I liked it!

Also some other Russian artist with geometric shapes

A poor job being done on Wikipedia of keeping things up to date. This Picasso isn't on their most expensive list yet.

Things like lists of Oscar winners get updated at the speed of electricity.

Not even sure what is up with the wiki list. The articles I have read have called this Picasso the most expensive painting ever yet wiki lists one significantly moreso, Gauguin's When Will You Marry?

Listed as selling for ~$300 million in February this year, with the buyer as: unknown, possibly the State of Qatar.

Vague as that is, there are a few more solid looking entries with higher price tags than the Picasso. In fact, according to that list, this is not even the most expensive Picasso.

Probably a simple explanation but I don't know it so I will just leave it at that for now.

640px-Paul_Gauguin%2C_Nafea_Faa_Ipoipo%3F_%28When_Will_You_Marry%3F%29_1892%2C_oil_on_canvas%2C_101_x_77_cm.jpg

That Picasso is the most expensive to be sold at auction. When Will You Marry? was most likely sold privately.

I bet them painters would be proud to learn that people are using their art as decoration on their miniature handheld computers.