$179 million for a Picasso

• Start date
  • Replies 301 Comments
  • Views 23,635 Views
Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I, by Gustav Klimt

Sold for $135 million.

It is the subject of the recent Helen Mirren film Woman in Gold - which is about how the nazi's confiscated it during the Anschluss - and the the woman who tried to get it back.

I honestly don't know what happened and am avoiding the information as I expect to see the film soon. Interesting premise to me. A tug-of-war between people who look at a painting and see 100+ million dollars, and a woman who sees a portrait of someone she knew and loved - and her fight to have that loved one's wishes for her portrait carried out.

640px-Gustav_Klimt_046.jpg

that would feel like it was following you everywhere in the room....

Here is the same chick. Adele Bloch-Bauer II. Painting could have been yours for a mere 88 million in 2006.

Gustav_Klimt_047.jpg

pretty sure I could give my 8 year old nephews some crayons and have something close to that.

People always say that about Jackson Pollock. His name is scattered about the list of most expensive paintings.

Happens to be true in Pollock's case.

I prefer the Impressionistic period. I love me some Monet and Cezanne.

I like the surrealist shit. The impressionnists just liked to smudge things for no good reason.

#arttalk

Will you stop with the photos? My anteater is camera-shy.

salvador-dali-walking-anteater-paris-france-1969.jpg

There was a Jeopardy champ a week or so back that sported a Dali lookin' mustache.

I like Dali very much but that didn't work for me. He was a good player and I thought he might have a long run but he only won 2 or 3 games.

Kinda glad when he lost.

Dali mustache ----> unless you are Dali, don't do it.

People always say that about Jackson Pollock. His name is scattered about the list of most expensive paintings.

Happens to be true in Pollock's case.
Not a fan at all. Not a fan of impressionists for the most part, and also not fond of Andy Warhol (except the soup can...I can live with the soup can.)

There is probably more art out there that I dislike than I really care for.

I remember Howard Stern doing a thing some years ago. I may not be recalling every detail correctly but the idea was someone from the show - might have been Howard himself - created his own Jackson Pollocks. Then they put them side-by side with real Pollock prints - and they had an expert see if they could pick out the genuine articles.

Nope. Coinflip proposition as I recall.

Anyone got $140 million?

Probably not enough to buy this:

No._5%2C_1948.jpg

Anyone got $140 million?

Probably not enough to buy this:

No._5%2C_1948.jpg
Pretty sure that was the "masterpiece" that was included in that "Masterpiece" game that I referenced. Then again, most of his drippings, or whatever they are, look essentially the same to me...at least those which I've seen, which admittedly, is not many.

I like those. I have a rotation of splat-paintings as my iPhone wallpapers.