10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman

• Start date
  • Replies 187 Comments
  • Views 7,421 Views
IAG
Why are you assuming that all these women routinely go home with strangers?

Not trying to be argumentative..trying to understand your point...should black people who dislike the N word and are routinely verbally assaulted just grow thicker skins if they are not being physically assaulted ? Should they "just move if they don't like it?" I can't agree with the Just get over it if it's not physical assault angle.

I am not assuming all women are like that. was just being a jackass. but there is some truth to it for some women.
I find saying someone is attractive, and calling some one a nigger on two different ends of the spectrum. Yes if you live somewhere that word is used far too often, and it upsets you that much, then maybe you should find an area better suited to you. Again, can't control everyone else, only yourself. I do agree things like this should stop, but I don't think catcalling is nearly as big of a deal as calling an african american a nigger.

IAG
If I choose to go home with some guy from a bar, it does not give men as a population the right to harass me on the street. That's almost as bad as the clothing arguments. It's not even all about degradation. It's about annoyance. What if everywhere you went gay men were constantly hollering at you and making sexual come-ons...wouldn't this bother you in the least? Unwanted attention/harassment is unwanted attention.

This girl is apparently now receiving death threats.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Also, I believe that the video said that she walked thru all parts of the city during that 10 hours, although I don't know that to be the case.

Its just such a minor issue, how do you even know if some attention is unwanted? You think everybody wants to be ignored walking the street? The vid is kinda fun/interesting in itself.
What bothers me is the stupidity of people thinking they are actually doing something for women's rights by coming out strongly against insignificant shit.
Like MLB bending over backwards to celebrate Jackie Robinson every year. :puke: pretending like they give a shit about equality and racism

I am not assuming all women are like that. was just being a jackass. but there is some truth to it for some women.
I find saying someone is attractive, and calling some one a nigger on two different ends of the spectrum. Yes if you live somewhere that word is used far too often, and it upsets you that much, then maybe you should an area better suited to you. Again, can't control everyone else, only yourself. I do agree things like this should stop, but I don't think catcalling is nearly as big of a deal as calling an african american a nigger.

Plenty of people see no harm in using the N word. It's not for them to say what is offensive to another group. I'm a little surprised at your response actually...maybe you don't see the bigness of the issue like Blitty said. Again for me, it's not even feeling degraded or attacked as a woman...it's annoying. Barkers annoy me in general. I know how I feel after wading thru a Mexican tourist town for an hour. I can't imagine dealing with that sort of thing every day...sexually based or not.

Well considering the last big issue in NYC was whether or not to ban soft drinks over 16 ounces. It's pretty big.

IAG
Plenty of people see now harm in using the N word. It's not for them to say what is offensive to another group.
what?

What issue? That men voice that they find women attractive? same shit they've been doing since man became? At least they aren't behaving like cavemen anymore. I'm more focused on using women power and unity to fight for job equality, to address rape and abuse. A catcall ain't shit just a minor issue in the grand scheme of things. and yes, I think it shows strength, and could gain respect if women would stop crying about catcalling, of all fucking things, and just ignore the men, and let them be idiots.

N word is an interesting point. It is a deliberately provocative term. Its similar to calling somebody the worst thing you can think off. This is understood by recipient. However same thing, proponents of anti-racism who spend their time harping on whats a proper use of the word or whether it should be outlawed are useless morons. Meanwhile people in the ghetto are dealing with real problems which these people don't want to address.

btw, Cami is turning me on right now :hides:

what?

What issue? That men voice that they find women attractive? same shit they've been doing since man became? At least they aren't behaving like cavemen anymore. I'm more focused on using women power and unity to fight for job equality, to address rape and abuse. A catcall ain't shit just a minor issue in the grand scheme of things. and yes, I think it shows strength, and could gain respect if women would stop crying about catcalling, of all fucking things, and just ignore the men, and let them be idiots.
. Yes, big in sense of frequency that is.

SO long as women are nice for men to look at, men are going to do stupid shit. period. Yes women can rule the world, and they'll likely get catcalled all the way to the top.