• Replies 27 Comments
  • Views 2,747 Views

Dark Horse

Deus Ex Machina
Since
Jan 28, 2010
Score
Tokens
Is it just me or does the Who look ridiculously outdated?

Hope they don't play My Generation...

yeah.... pretty bad.

sad shit, im a huge fan of the who.

At least they didn't do the regular deal where all the kids run on the field waving flags.

Probably because legally Pete Townsend can be with 500 feet of any children.

I was hoping for a wardrobe malfunction.

That entire performance was a malfunction.

why can't they ever get anyone relevant to do the half time show?

I think half of them were dead

I am a big who fan but this was really a sad reflection of a great band....... I'm sorry boys time to pack it in. Daltry can't hit the notes and townsend's guitar playing is just average. But I knew I should have taken the prop the Pete would do the windmill during his performance.... that was money in the bank.

Why not Dino Jr. for a ht show

I thought they did fine. But I was drunk. And everything's better when you're drunk. They couldn't do My Generation for the fear of if they sang "hope I die before I get old" someone might shoot them.

I think half of them were dead

Poor Keith really is! Over 30 years ago, OMG! Nina, I'm an old man!

The Last 24 Hours of Keith Moon
with 6 comments

I watched an episode of Final 24 on some entertainment channel or other (I think it was E!) which covered the last 24 hours in the life of Who drummer Keith Moon.

Moon had been living in an apartment in London by 1978, owned by Harry Nilsson, and the place where Mama Cass Elliot died in 1974 of heart failure. He was on medication to help him curb his craving for alcohol, a problem which had reached a point where his position in the Who, as well as his other relationships, was in jeopardy of going south. The pills were prescription. The quandary that Moon found himself in the day before was the fact that hed been invited by Paul McCartney to the before-party and premier of the new film the Buddy Holly Story. It was an everyone is going to be there event. Yet Moon was worried about being able to stay off of the booze. He decided not to go.

Unfortunately, Moonie also had a problem with cocaine, a package of which arrived the afternoon before his death. Rock stars can order cocaine as if theyre ordering a pizza, as one interviewee stated. After indulging himself, he changed his mind about the party, and he and his girlfriend, Annette Walter-Lax, went. Somewhere in there, he also ingested a few tablets of his anti-alcohol meds.

At the party, he was surrounded by friends (including Kenney Jones, the drummer who would replace him in the Who), who noticed that he wasnt the Keith they knew. He was more withdrawn, and less than his Moon the Loon persona had once defined him. Eventually, he had a couple of glasses of champagne.

Part way through the film, Moon and Annette decided to go home for an early night, another uncommon thing in Keiths life. He got home, watched a movie, took more anti-alcohol pills, ate a meal, and went to bed. In the night, he was restless. He took more medication, having lost count of the dosage by now. He went back to sleep. Because he began to snore, Annette left the room to sleep on the couch.

In the morning, Moon asked her to make breakfast, being uncommonly hungry as he had been the night previous. She did. He ate, and went back to sleep. And that was it. He died in his sleep. The coroner found 26 undissolved tablets in his stomach.

The thing that struck me about this chain of events was Moons own addictions to drugs was not the direct cause of his death. I think it was his addiction to maintaining his own sense of who he was supposed to be. People expected Moon the Loon, and he needed to live up to that, it seems. Its possible that he would have fallen to a similar fate eventually. But the real catalyst was his need to live up to his own image, be at that party, be that guy.

It struck me too that he must have been very lonely too, not really allowing himself to give very many people a real picture of who he really was, and not really having the emotional maturity even to approach changing his outlook. The tragic thing was that Annette said that he was a very gentle, loving person at heart. And that many told her afterwards that he was planning to ask her to marry him, that he had told many people at the party that he was going to do it the next day. Knowledge of that must be terrible. I know that the program may be aimed at those looking for salacious rock star burns out for good type stories. But, I was left saddened.

Watch Keith Moon In Action

Moon is one of my favourite drummers a totally chaotic approach to the drum kit, never settling on an obvious backbeat, yet keeping time and being musically interesting as well. His style is actually more like jazz drumming.

it sucked but it was a SB halftime. what did you expect?

good story mrmonkey. I thought their drummer today kind of reminded me of Moon. Saw these guys in '89 in Boulder, they were ancient then. If they can still jam and not look like Mic Jagger, then more power to 'em.
Good point about people trying to live up to their image, also.

why can't they ever get anyone relevant to do the half time show?

U2 was very relevant when they did the halftime show a few years back.

I thought the Who was alright. I would rather they just skip Pinball Wizard and See Me, Feel Me than the maimed medley versions they stuck in there. But other than that, I enjoyed it.

I was hoping that during Who Are You? Daltrey would would throw in a "Who the fuck are you?" to help out all the people hoping to be offended.

Poor Keith really is! Over 30 years ago, OMG! Nina, I'm an old man!

The Last 24 Hours of Keith Moon
with 6 comments

I watched an episode of Final 24 on some entertainment channel or other (I think it was E!) which covered the last 24 hours in the life of Who drummer Keith Moon.

Moon had been living in an apartment in London by 1978, owned by Harry Nilsson, and the place where Mama Cass Elliot died in 1974 of heart failure. He was on medication to help him curb his craving for alcohol, a problem which had reached a point where his position in the Who, as well as his other relationships, was in jeopardy of going south. The pills – were prescription. The quandary that Moon found himself in the day before was the fact that he’d been invited by Paul McCartney to the before-party and premier of the new film the Buddy Holly Story. It was an ‘everyone is going to be there’ event. Yet Moon was worried about being able to stay off of the booze. He decided not to go.

Unfortunately, Moonie also had a problem with cocaine, a package of which arrived the afternoon before his death. Rock stars can order cocaine as if they’re ordering a pizza, as one interviewee stated. After indulging himself, he changed his mind about the party, and he and his girlfriend, Annette Walter-Lax, went. Somewhere in there, he also ingested a few tablets of his anti-alcohol meds.

At the party, he was surrounded by friends (including Kenney Jones, the drummer who would replace him in the Who), who noticed that he wasn’t the Keith they knew. He was more withdrawn, and less than his “Moon the Loon” persona had once defined him. Eventually, he had a couple of glasses of champagne.

Part way through the film, Moon and Annette decided to go home for an early night, another uncommon thing in Keith’s life. He got home, watched a movie, took more anti-alcohol pills, ate a meal, and went to bed. In the night, he was restless. He took more medication, having lost count of the dosage by now. He went back to sleep. Because he began to snore, Annette left the room to sleep on the couch.

In the morning, Moon asked her to make breakfast, being uncommonly hungry as he had been the night previous. She did. He ate, and went back to sleep. And that was it. He died in his sleep. The coroner found 26 undissolved tablets in his stomach.

The thing that struck me about this chain of events was Moon’s own addictions to drugs was not the direct cause of his death. I think it was his addiction to maintaining his own sense of who he was supposed to be. People expected Moon the Loon, and he needed to live up to that, it seems. It’s possible that he would have fallen to a similar fate eventually. But the real catalyst was his need to live up to his own image, be at that party, be that guy.

It struck me too that he must have been very lonely too, not really allowing himself to give very many people a real picture of who he really was, and not really having the emotional maturity even to approach changing his outlook. The tragic thing was that Annette said that he was a very gentle, loving person at heart. And that many told her afterwards that he was planning to ask her to marry him, that he had told many people at the party that he was going to do it the next day. Knowledge of that must be terrible. I know that the program may be aimed at those looking for salacious ‘rock star burns out for good’ type stories. But, I was left saddened.

Watch Keith Moon In Action

Moon is one of my favourite drummers – a totally chaotic approach to the drum kit, never settling on an obvious backbeat, yet keeping time and being musically interesting as well. His style is actually more like jazz drumming.

wow, very interesting read....

I thought the Who was alright. I would rather they just skip Pinball Wizard and See Me, Feel Me than the maimed medley versions they stuck in there. But other than that, I enjoyed it.

I was hoping that during Who Are You? Daltrey would would throw in a "Who the fuck are you?" to help out all the people hoping to be offended.

I dunno. Somehow it bothers me greatly that a band that was once considered armed and dangerous was being 'honored' in this way, long after the last electrifying drop of danger had leaked out of them. Beethoven's mummy has more rock'n'roll left in him.

I don't think they were amazing by any means but they weren't bad at all.....