When do you think will Canada have a president ?

• Start date
  • Replies 13 Comments
  • Views 1,085 Views
Canada is a constitutional monarchy. I mean an elected head of the state.

Canada is a constitutional monarchy. I mean an elected head of the state.

Definition for dumbericans:

1. A Constitutional Monarchy
[FONT=&amp]Canada is a constitutional monarchy. This means that the powers of the monarchy in Canada are limited by the Constitution. The Constitution is a set of basic principles, laws and rules that explain the powers and duties of the government and the rights and freedoms of the citizens.

Our formal head of state is a monarch. Our monarch is now Elizabeth II, who is also the Queen of the United Kingdom. As our Queen does not live in Canada, she appoints, under the advice of our Prime Minister, a Governor General to represent her authority in Canada. The Governor General is usually appointed for a five-year term. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]At one time, the Governor General had a lot of power in our government, but this is no longer the case. The office of Governor General is now largely ceremonial. The Governor General meets foreign dignitaries, accords medals, honours and decorations, signs bills passed in Parliament, and opens Parliament with a formal address known as the Speech from the Throne.

It is indeed true that the Governor General has the authority to summon, adjourn and dissolve Parliament, however he or she can only do so on the advice of the Prime Minister. It is also true that the Governor General has the responsibility of choosing the Prime Minister, but he or she is bound to choose the leader of the majority party in the House of Commons.[/FONT]

I think all the commowealth states don't have a president because they have the queen. In fact now that I'm thinking about it all the countries in Europe or Asia who have/had a king/queen/emperor/sultan they have a prime minister instead of a president.

Looks like Canadians are not interested in changing the status quo.

Looks like Canadians are not interested in changing the status quo.

^^^^

this.

The country of Canada works fine just as it is. Why fuck with success?

vaggaaaaaaaay!
(I've always wanted to say that)

Likes of Gibraltar can not have an elected head of the state.

I will take Obama as president here over Harper as Prime Minister. Let's get this shit done..... If another Bush gets elected all bets are off.