What do you think about this idea for Hockey?

• Start date
  • Replies 37 Comments
  • Views 2,652 Views

RageWizard

Since
Feb 4, 2010
Score
Tokens
The other day me and the old lady were at the bar watching the Flyers shutout the Habs for the 3rd time in this series, when the old lady had a idea that I think would actually help the game become a little bit more popular.

She proposed that they change the puck color to something that is flouresent. Like Orange, or yellow. She thinks, and I concur that with the puck being black, it is harder to follow and sometimes you lose sight of the puck because most if not all players have black skates. Now she isn't talking about what FOX did a couple of years back where they electronically put tracers on the puck so I would have some acid flashbacks, but actually just changing the puck so that some of the more blind viewers can see the damn thing easier.

What do you think? Canadians are also welcome to chime in.

The greatest technological invention in the history of sports? lol was that failure

I've seen colored pucks sold places.

Yeah, but would you mind it if the NHL changed the puck color for their games? Do you think it would be easier to follow, or a big distraction?

Oy, the puck visibility thing again... I find it baffling. It's always obvious where the puck is unless it's stuck under someone - offensive players skate/look/gravitate towards it.

I know some of you will say to me to just get a bigger HDTV, but I say bullshit, I already have a 50" HD, and sometimes it is just hard to follow the puck with a half a dozen beers floating my eyes apart.

Am I the only person (other than Canadians) that has never had a problem following the puck?

Everyone is old....:mudcat:

Oy, the puck visibility thing again... I find it baffling. It's always obvious where the puck is unless it's stuck under someone - offensive players skate/look/gravitate towards it.

What is this the black hole defense. Its there because shit orbits around it. WTF Don't get me wrong, I can follow hockey just fine thanks, but for some others, I don't see the harm in making the puck a different color than everybody's skates. Is that so bad, or do you think teams will come out with orange skates. Like the Flyers come out with orange skates to match their jerseys.

The issue I see with changing the puck color...is that it actually makes it easier to see for the goalie....why would you want to do that. Scoring in hockey right now is perfect. not too much not too little....leave well enough alone.

Only idea I have for hockey is to eliminate about 16 teams.....it is too watered down right now.

The issue I see with changing the puck color...is that it actually makes it easier to see for the goalie....why would you want to do that. Scoring in hockey right now is perfect. not too much not too little....leave well enough alone.

Only idea I have for hockey is to eliminate about 16 teams.....it is too watered down right now.

In the last decade or so, hockey has been doing things to increase the scoring so the so called skilled players can shine. Why don't they just change the puck to white and fuck everybody's day up?

I mean, if you can't locate the puck instantly, you still have a damn good idea where it is. Not sure making it orange will change anything to that. It'll still be a tiny disc of hard rubber.

Making it orange would help the Flyers' scoring on deflected shots.

Lots of problems with the game getting bogged down, chippy, and so forth. Puck color isn't one of them.
However, eliminating the 500 ads all over the ice and boards would help. It's beginning to look like nascar out there.

Am I the only person (other than Canadians) that has never had a problem following the puck?

Everyone is old....:mudcat:

You can't follow the puck 100% of the time but you learn to anticipate where it will be going, for example if a defenseman is taking a shot on net from the blueline I usually look at the back of the net as soon as the shot is made, that way I can tell if it is a goal. Following the puck can be impossible if it gets tipped or ricochets off skates.

I can usually tell where the puck is just by listening to the play by play guy. I don't know who his name is, but he is good. He gets so excited and has that voice that has a little bit of anguish in it. Perfect for hockey because allot of the time the puck goes off the post, or some dude gets robbed for a goal, shit like that.

I like this idea. In soccer when there is snow on the field they use an orange or yellow ball.

One of the strangest concepts in sports to me, this idea of having trouble following the puck. I guess it's a real issue because more than one person has brought it up. Maybe because I am Canadian I am born with an innate sense of knowing where the puck is that other people just don't have.

But for me, there is no bigger non-issue. It is a black puck on white ice. It's right there. :dunno:

But for me, there is no bigger non-issue. It is a black puck on white ice. It's right there. :dunno:

White puck, white sticks, white skate blades, white stick tape.

Does scoring go up or down?