• Replies 18 Comments
  • Views 1,607 Views

Bread

Current Corpse
Since
Jan 20, 2010
Score
Tokens
With just two days to go ‘til UFC 111 is upon us, the card saw some MAJOR changes take place. I ran the gamut of emotions in just a few hours. At first, I was majorly disappointed when Thiago Alves failed a CT scan and his fight with Jon Fitch was scratched. Then I was visibly upset when they moved the Kurt Pellegrino-Fabricio Camoes matchup to the main card over more deserving options.

But then, my mood was uplifted when it was announced that Ben Saunders would now be fighting Fitch. Saunders was already scheduled to fight, but his opponent was pulled and here we are – Saunders vs. Fitch. I’m in love with this fight and see a prime opportunity for a sweet upset. But before I get to that, let me tell you about a huge favorite that will win.

Georges St-Pierre -800
Dan Hardy +550

Lookit, I love me some Dan Hardy, I really do. The kid’s got style, skill, and heck, he’s just entertaining. But let’s not kid ourselves here. GSP is an elite guy who performs at a higher level than anyone else. I pray that Hardy doesn’t come out looking like a smushed bug ala BJ Penn, but anything is possible here. There are plenty of props available, which are about the only money-making opportunities in this mismatch.

Frank Mir -150
Shane Carwin +130

Through no fault of his own, it’s been over a year since poor Shane Carwin has been in the Octagon. He was slated to take part in a monster matchup against Cain Velasquez, but was pulled to take on the UFC poster child, Brock Lesnar. Then Lesnar came down with some mystery illness (I still don’t buy what they’re selling us) and he has been in heavyweight limbo since.

Usually I am leery of guys coming off of an extended lapse, but not here. Carwin is an absolute monster to the Nth degree. He’s going to come in with a world of frustrations to take out on Frank Mir’s head. Mir is certainly talented, but he’s not as dominant as he thinks he is. With the way he runs his mouth, you would think that he was the second coming of Anderson Lesnar Ali. Since his first submission of Lesnar, he TKO’d Minotauro Nogueira (who was vastly ill and in no shape to fight), got pummeled by Lesnar in the rematch, and choked out Cheick Kongo (who will lose to the top 10 heavies everytime.)

Carwin CanWin
Shane-Carwin.jpg

I feel strongly that Carwin is going to be the one guy that can give Lesnar a legitimate threat (assuming Lesnar fully recovers from his mystery illness.) Frank Mir will have a little less to run his mouth about after this. But he’ll do it anyway.

Jon Fitch -400
Ben Saunders +310

Do you know how excited I get when I hit a +300 dog or more? Well let me tell you how excited I get. Really, really, really excited. And I feel another one coming. I can feel it in the bones in my boobs. Yes yes.

Fitch dwells in the third tier behind GSP and Penn, but big Ben Saunders is a certain up-and-comer, and improving all of the time. I see a possibility of some matchup problems for Fitch. The key is for Saunders to avoid some takedowns, to allow himself the opportunity to batter his opponent with some vicious knees and kicks. If Saunders spends most of the fight on his back eating elbows, they yeah, this line is right where it should be. But I’m hooked on a feeling, and I’m looking for that payday.

Hi-YA!
BenSaundersHeadkick_aim640.jpg

PS – Nate Diaz is also fighting as a -300 favorite. I have never won a fight involving Nate, win or lose. If anyone has a clue, please give me a winner!

:bashing::bashing::bashing::bashing::bashing::bashing::bashing::bashing::bashing:

nice...

this

second coming of Anderson Lesnar Ali :rofl:

I hope he takes a beating like he did against Lesnar. Guy has worn on my last nerve.

could not agree with you more

Should anyone ever be -800 in a UFC fight?

Will put a small bet on Saunders, expect trouble if he doesn't come through. Trouble, ya hear?

Nice, write-up.

Oh oh. Pressure's on now!

Feeling it in the bones of your boobs is serious.

Nina it's all fun and games til the Anchorman quotes start up.

probably less than a 3% chance saunders will be able to stuff Fitch's takedowns, Swick was able to throw him to the ground with ease and his take downs are nowhere near Fitchs

still bitter I didn't get to bet against Saunders with Jake but I refuse to back a guy like fitch in this spot, honestly think Hardy has a better chance at pulling off the upset before Saunders

I wouldn't be sad to see Hardy pull it off at all, as I'll probably just do some props on that one. Love Hardy, but GSP is just a different animal.

I'm going for my dog hit with Saunders. Hopefully he can meet the first takedown attempt with a KNEE to the noggin and make him think twice :dunno:

trust me bread i would like nothing more, I try my best not to bash fighters but i can't stand Fitch, his style is just unwatchable imo, more decision victories than any elite fighter I have ever seen. It's obvious the guy has maximized his potential and is seriously lacking the power to be able to finish fighters

Go go Killa Beeeeessss!!

GSP is not Impressed by anyone.

Oh man that video was awesome!!!

I might put a little on Hardy. I think Mir/Carwin is a coin toss and I think Fitch takes Saunders, although Ben Saunders is certifiably insane and wouldn't put anything past him. Good luck Bread.:fudd:

Thanks buddy. In game thread here tomorrow to cry our losses away.

perhaps I will follow you on these. I am killing myself on March Madness. I think I need a break from hoops.

googluck. I'm 0-2 on this crappy strikeforce card tonight. hopefully that's not a trend.