• Replies 37 Comments
  • Views 3,133 Views

Bread

Current Corpse
Since
Jan 20, 2010
Score
Tokens
Its Ash Wednesday. For some people, that means its a time to pour the contents of an ashtray on their head. For me, it means that we are just a few days away from the most exciting UFC card (on paper) that Ive seen in awhile. About time! Now, about those winners

Cain Velasquez -125
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira +105

Are they still trying to sell off Minotauro as a 33-year old? Big Nog (35-5-1, 1 NC) mightve been 33 back when Bush was in office. Bush Sr. After looking every bit of his suspected 50 years against Frank Mir, Nog bounced back quite nicely in his last fight against Randy Couture. The two old fellas put on a spirited show, which resulted in a decision victory for Nogueira. Thats great and all, but Velasquez (7-0-0) is a true up and coming star in this sport. The low odds actually have me feeling giddy.

Cain Velasquez is a legitimate championship threat in this division, and every fight sees a step up in competition for Brown Pride. He is constantly improving his overall game, building on his wrestling background. Having taken out Cheick Kongo and Ben Rothwell recently, Big Nog will certainly be the most impressive notch in Velasquezs belt. At this price, hes a complete steal.

What can Brown Pride do for you?
brownpride.jpg

Wanderlei Silva -140
Michael Bisping +120

Oh man do I love/hate this fight. What to do what to do??? HEP ME!!

On one hand you have Wanderlei Silva (32-10-1, 1 NC). This legend of the sport has only been a shell of his former self since his return to the UFC (1-3-0). The problem is, I might be the only person who hasnt figured out yet that the old Wanderlei is gone. This was exemplified for the world to see in his last fight back in June against Rich Franklin. I lost more than Ive ever lost on a single fight backing Silva. Go ahead, laugh. That was eight months ago and Im almost over it.

Then there is Bisping (19-2-0). He is the Brit that many love to hate, myself included. There was nothing greater for us than when Dan Henderson delivered the Epic Beard Man treatment to the cocky cockneys face last year. Since then, Bisping has started a new winning streak against Dennis Kang.

Whatever. Im going to do it again. Im banking that the washed-up Silva still has enough in the tank to take out an overrated homer like Bisping. Isnt there a psychiatric term for people who grab an object that delivers a shock, and then grab the same object again moments later, completely oblivious to consequence? If there is, thats me. Go Silva?

Here we go again
wanderlei-silva-cage.jpg

Joe Stevenson -240
George Sotiropoulos +200

Im going to go way out on a limb and predict that this fight ends in a submission. Of Stevenson (36-10-0) and Sotiropoulos (11-2-0) 47 combined victories, 22 have resulted in some varying form of a submission. At 5dimes, you can bet the fight to NOT go the distance at -160. I like this play a lot.

As for a winner, Joe Daddy Stevenson has been taking down anyone outside of that top tier of guys (BJ Penn, Kenny Florian, Diego Sanchez). I dont see a reason that should change here. Sotiropoulos will be a home favorite, fighting in his native Australia. It should matter not. Look for Stevenson to get inside of his opponents guard and start looking for various joints and air passages to attack.

As an aside, anytime the announcers say Joe Daddy will I be the only one looking for Danica Patrick to show up with some blouse-shedding hotties? Yea, probably.

Ryan Bader -155
Keith Jardine +135

Keith Jardines (14-7-1) mystique is rapidly wearing off. Ever since his shocking upset (to most) of Chuck Liddell, Jardine has been a draw. But those losses are starting to pile up. Rampage Jackson and Houston Alexander took him out. Thiago Silva delivered a devastating 1st round knockout in his last fight. Hell, even Wanderlei was able to turn back the clock to record his first victory in his return to the UFC at Jardines expense.

The news will only get worse for Jardine when he faces Ryan Bader (11-0-0). I didnt give Bader much thought when he was on The Ultimate Fighter, but he sure has caught my eye lately. He is a natural wrestler, but it is his striking that looks like it will put more than a few check marks in the W-column before its all said and done.

Bader has been unable to finish both of his last subpar opponents. That should come to an end at Jardines expense. Once again, Im loving these odds. If youre feeling frisky, Bader to win inside the distance is priced at +317 at 5dimes.

Nighty night
jardineko2.gif

:tank::tank::tank::tank:

good stuff

what is beard man treatment?

I thought Jardine had 100's of fights.... is that just his UFC record?

wait...this card has you excited??? seeing if crocop has been training at all, might be the best thing about the entire night...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i do like the cain price though

Last edited:
Raryray yes. I like this card a lot. Fuck off.

Arch that is his entire MMA record. Weird...UFC has it listed as that, Wikipedia has it 15-6-1. Close enough. Either way, tack another loss to it after Saturday.

I intend watching so will refer back here in case I want to make a small play
Nice write-up, as always.

Thanks buddy :hattip:

Good write-up.

Agree with Velazquez

Very surprised you picked Bader considering last week you said he is just walking muscle. However, I am happy you did because he is going to win.

Haven't decided my plays on the other matches.

I didn't say he was JUST a walking muscle. Didn't mean it in that way. I think he's going to be a lot better than I originally assessed.

I didn't say he was JUST a walking muscle. Didn't mean it in that way. I think he's going to be a lot better than I originally assessed.

Please forgive me. You have to remember we are drunks here. I cannot remember verbatim what you said. God bless your plays. :peace:

As an aside, anytime the announcers say “Joe Daddy” will I be the only one looking for Danica Patrick to show up with some blouse-shedding hotties? Yea, probably.

It took me a minute, but when I finally got it... I laughed.

Hoff it's what I do. I make you laugh.

I like all the faves you have listed here with Bisping having the best chance to pull one out.

Rothwell late illness scratch in fight vs. Cro Cop. Replaced by some scrub. That sucks. Hope it gets bumped to undercard for a better one.

Rothwell late illness scratch in fight vs. Cro Cop. Replaced by some scrub. That sucks. Hope it gets bumped to undercard for a better one.

Rothwell's replacement is nicknamed "The Hippo" :rofl:

Guy just got a beatdown by Jaime Te Huna, the name you love Moldy.

If CroCop doesn't come out and absolutely destroy this guy early, he seriously needs to stop fighting.

No odds as of yet. Cro Cop -2000? lol.

Who here wouldn't take Cro Cop -2000 against this scrub?

Who here wouldn't take Cro Cop -2000 against this scrub?

I cannot lie. When I get drunk watching MMA, I love to throw money on the underdogs. Give me a lot of alcohol and 20-1 odds, I just may have a bet on "The Hippo" tomorrow night :grin:

I will be right here, drinking with you fools for these fights tomorrow night. Let's bond.