To Spend Or Not To Spend

Polaroid

I need a tittle
Since
Jan 21, 2010
Score
Tokens
When the New York Yankees have a $200 million payroll, they are accused of buying the World Series even though the Florida Marlins have won it all twice on a fraction of that money. When the Chicago Cubs or the New York Mets have a $140 million payroll and can't even make the playoffs, people just laugh at them. So how important is the level of payroll in baseball? More specifically, how important has the level of payroll been so far this season?

Using sabermetric analysis of each player for each team, calculating a win share for each player and then applying a dollar figure to each win gives the monetary contribution of each player and thus for the team as a whole. This is not an exact science since injuries of highly paid players are going to have a negative effect on the production to payroll ratio; also any players under club control being paid less than their market worth will skew the figures (although having young productive players on cheap contracts is one aspect of a well run MLB team) but this should even out when all teams are analyzed. The payroll data is taken from CBS Sports as the opening day salary and so does not take into account any personnel changes during the season although any rosters move would not adversely skew the true payroll figures.

ganliaack.jpg

Not surprisingly, there is a positive correlation between the level of payroll and the statistical output of a team; if there wasn't then the Yankees would be putting away their checkbook and every team would shoot for a Pirates size payroll.

Conversely the rate of return, taken as the difference between payroll and statistical worth as a percentage of payroll, gives a different story. With the Padres, Rangers, Rays and Reds in the top third of the table despite each having a sub $40 million prorata payroll and the Cubs, White Sox, Angels, Mariners and Astros in the bottom third despite all having a $50+ million payroll it would seem that high spending does not equate to high return. In fact there is a strong negative correlation (-0.422) between payroll and return to payroll so the higher a team spends, the less proportional return they should expect from their outlay.

Last edited:
Polaroid, I had no idea you were such a sexy scientist.

Awesome! The Astros' players should be paying to play!

I suspected as much.

is the pirates and padres payroll really only 20 million? am i seeing that right?

MrX
Awesome! The Astros' players should be paying to play!

I suspected as much.

I'm sure that realistically there is a certain level of payroll required to actually field a team and earn a team 0 WAR (although I have no idea what it is) and so the Pirates get something of a free pass. The Astros with a $90+ million payroll, however, do not.

is the pirates and padres payroll really only 20 million? am i seeing that right?

No, it's the prorata annual salary based upon the number of games played this season. The Pirates have a 2010 full year salary of $34,943,000 and having played 88 of 162 games of the season, they have "used up" $19 million of that. The Padres 2010 payroll is $37,799,300 which is the second lowest in baseball.

How are you calculating the dollar amount that are you applying to a win share? And couldn't you simply multiply the teams' wins by that number and divide it by the payroll since WS is a function of team wins? I think you overthought this one, Polaroid.

I dont care enough to look it up but is the MLB the cheapest league there is?

I heard this 1 team called up a player from there Farm system and they were able to just pay him like 13,000 for the rest of the year? is this correct?

In the NBA if you cal la player up you have to sign him to a 10 day contract prorated by the NBA salary minimum. which comes out to 35k+ or so for 10 days or so depending on games played. And after a 2nd 10 day contract is issued they have to be signed for the rest of the year at at least the NBA minimum.

In baseball they can retain a farm league player at his farm salary for the rest of the year?

How are you calculating the dollar amount that are you applying to a win share? And couldn't you simply multiply the teams' wins by that number and divide it by the payroll since WS is a function of team wins? I think you overthought this one, Polaroid.

The metric was actually Wins Above Replacement rather than Win Share, I just named WS in the description since it was the only metric where I could get a good linked definition at Hardball Times (I don't know if and how they differ but the general notion is similar). Keep it between us but I didn't calculate the data - I just took it, ran with it and made an article out of it.

Incidentally, team WS (or WAR) isn't as simple as comparing wins to the payroll (the WAR data I used was team WAR which is made up of individual player WAR so the effect of each player on the team is identified). The WAR figure is converted do a dollar amount by being multiplied by whatever is deemed to be the value of a win in that particular season which naturally changes (and is $4 million per win this season). Here is the complicated way in how WS is calculated:

http://www.baseballgraphs.com/main/index.php/site/details/#sharecalc

i would expect kc would be in the black. but i was wrong

The metric was actually Wins Above Replacement rather than Win Share, I just named WS in the description since it was the only metric where I could get a good linked definition at Hardball Times (I don't know if and how they differ but the general notion is similar). Keep it between us but I didn't calculate the data - I just took it, ran with it and made an article out of it.

Incidentally, team WS (or WAR) isn't as simple as comparing wins to the payroll (the WAR data I used was team WAR which is made up of individual player WAR so the effect of each player on the team is identified). The WAR figure is converted do a dollar amount by being multiplied by whatever is deemed to be the value of a win in that particular season which naturally changes (and is $4 million per win this season). Here is the complicated way in how WS is calculated:

http://www.baseballgraphs.com/main/index.php/site/details/#sharecalc

Oh. Okay. Yeah. That makes a big difference (WS vs. WARP).

Non-sexy scientist checking in.

Boobs.