The Polaroid Random Thoughts Baseball Thread

• Start date
  • Replies 2,799 Comments
  • Views 216,033 Views
Looking at above not half way there yet in season but run differential says Braves are the only lock to go along with probability %. And by stat presently no one in the Central deserves to make playoffs. Dodgers probability don't believe should be that high? Milw likely winning Central, Braves and possibly Marlins, Phils seeking in and Ari, SD, and SF could leave Dodgers out.

Cardinals not far behind but believe they are done. Even Mets just not their year. For me thinking 8 teams involved in NL Braves and Brewers get in ..... then LA, Ari, SF, SD, Miami and Philly of which 4 make it. Key stat helping both Marlins (18-5) and Phils (15-7) having minus run diff is they are 1 and 2 in most one run wins. Of course usually balances out some ..... SD presently 4-12 and Cards 7-16 though latter won't be feasting on the usual lots of Central division games to help them turn it around.

The Marlins are the perfect medicine for what’s been ailing the Pirates for 9 games. What a goat fuck it will be if the Marlins front office doesn’t go out and get someone who can fucking hit other than Arraez and Soler.

Miami Marlins Luis Arraez, who is chasing a .400 batting average through a half season, is starting and batting 6th tonight at the All Star game in Seattle.

The A’s made 4 errors today. They still won.

Looking at the NL playoff race Braves are in with the Dodgers +104 RunDiff going to say they should make it. Then for the final 4 spots you have 6 teams within 2 games of each other fighting to make it. Should be an exciting final 2 months!

Here's a site with remaining games SOS rankings ....

Pirates throwing in the towel on 2023. Traded Carlos Santana to the Brewers for 18 year old Jhonny Severino

Pirates throwing in the towel on 2023. Traded Carlos Santana to the Brewers for 18 year old Jhonny Severino
Good timing since the Phils play them this weekend.

texas_rangers_thinks_the_mets_are_good.jpeg

mlb_standings_1.jpg
mlb_standings_2.jpg
Looks like going to be an exciting finish to season. Nice to see a lot more fan bases still feeling like they’re in it. Math wise Mets still there but they threw in the towel. And Yankees still there but believe they are toast with that 1-8 lineup lol.

With Phils having a playoff shot I'm more interested in baseball, but love watching games that aren't all taking over 3 hours to play. Somebody might have stats on how much less time averaged per game?

Houston Astros acquire Justin Verlander from New York Mets​

Okay no surprise Mets unloading him but get this .....

Verlander signed a two-year, $86.7 million deal with the free-spending Mets. His contract also included a $35 million option for 2025 that vests if he accumulates at least 140 innings in 2024, a circumstance that scared teams away.
The Mets will pay $35 million out of the $58 million remaining on Verlander's deal in 2023 and 2024 and $17.5 million of his 2025 option if it vests, sources told ESPN's Jeff Passan.

So going by above info if correct, say Verlander plays through 2025 season, the Astros only on the hook for $25M. They even importantly have him for the playoffs this season. And from the other side if I'm adding it up right, the Mets on the hook for $81.2M for 4 months of his services.

Breaking down even further Verlander then pitching only 94 innings for NY, each inning pitched he received around $864000.

:wtf:

But he ain't getting a birthday belated present from the Mets every year till 2035!
Bobby Bonilla collects $1 million every year until 2035 from the Mets

Oops! My math wrong of course and around $40.5M Astros will owe Verlander if he plays through 2025.

Huh? Decent chance the Yanks still win the division. Haters have a hard time seeing past the hate I guess.

Huh? Decent chance the Yanks still win the division. Haters have a hard time seeing past the hate I guess.
Honestly I root for the Yanks over the Sox every day of the week but with injuries (especially losing Judge) and others not hitting it's just not their year. And Rodon hurt right from the get go was a killer. Next year my friend.

Framber Valdez of the Houston Astros tosses a No-Hitter against Cleveland…

He only threw 93 pitches and only gave up a walk to prevent a Perfect Game…

Very impressive!

mlb_standings_1.jpg
mlb_standings_2.jpg
Looks like going to be an exciting finish to season. Nice to see a lot more fan bases still feeling like they’re in it. Math wise Mets still there but they threw in the towel. And Yankees still there but believe they are toast with that 1-8 lineup lol.

With Phils having a playoff shot I'm more interested in baseball, but love watching games that aren't all taking over 3 hours to play. Somebody might have stats on how much less time averaged per game?
The games are roughly 30 min shorter.