Team Atheist: A Question

• Start date
  • Replies 52 Comments
  • Views 2,388 Views
I don't give a shit what anyone would think, then or now. I really won't care when I'm dead, well, because I will be dead.

I don't care so much about what others think. I think I would want to do something legacy worthy, but for my own pre-death contentment /satisfaction ....but as far as needing to impress someone in future generations-not so much. Maybe I would feel differently if I had kids. Maybe not.

I'd like to just be remembered for who I am. I was thinking about how I would describe my recently deceased maternal grnadfather to my eventual children... At first I thought I would laude him for being a great man, charitable, magnanamous, and hillarious (all of which he really was). Then I realized that would be leaving out the part about him being a racist.

I may have told that story before, but my Mom grew up near a molasses factory in Montreal. The smell is very distinctive when they're producing a batch. My mom once asked her dad what that smell was and he said:

-Oh, don't worry about it, they're just cooking up a batch of niggers.

And then he busted out laughing.

Coleman_wtf.gif

He would also openly call his wife "Vieille Botte", which translates literally to "Old Boot", and figuratively to "old lady of the night".

:lmao:

My second son will have Benoit as his middle name, as an homage to my gramps.

When all else fails I would also like to be remembered for my insensitive comments.

I'd like to just be remembered for who I am. I was thinking about how I would describe my recently deceased maternal grnadfather to my eventual children... At first I thought I would laude him for being a great man, charitable, magnanamous, and hillarious (all of which he really was). Then I realized that would be leaving out the part about him being a racist.

Everyone from that generation was a racist. How's that for a sweeping generalization?

Mr.X you should try and answer your own question here. This is not a bad thread, keep it alive for a while.

Racist etc. old people is also an interesting topic. When you are confronted with older people with seemingly bigoted or ignorant views do you tend to

1.look down on them
2. try to explain to them why they're wrong
3. assume that their understanding is somehow legit for themselves, and treat them respectfully
4. leave them alone and let them believe whatever makes them happy

yeah sure I care. I don't expect that I'll be caring when I'm dead though.

I like to think that I taught or influenced someone somewhere.
You taught me not to eat Totino's party pizzas..but I'm still skeptical. I want the details. Make this your legacy!

Mr.X you should try and answer your own question here. This is not a bad thread, keep it alive for a while.

Racist etc. old people is also an interesting topic. When you are confronted with older people with seemingly bigoted or ignorant views do you tend to

1.look down on them
3. assume that their understanding is somehow legit for themselves, and treat them respectfully
Usually 4. I see quite a bit of prejudice against blacks in Sodak-mostly from my mom's generation. I leave it alone. I'm not changing anyone's mind and simply don't have the energy to try. A younger person might warrant a little more conversation, but I let the older people be.

fair answer iag

IAG
You taught me not to eat Totino's party pizzas..but I'm still skeptical. I want the details. Make this your legacy!

I'm hoping my legacy will be a little more than that :wink:

fair answer iag

I'm hoping my legacy will be a little more than that :wink:
You have "Mothers- don't let your babies grow up to Caspers" too.

:)

I intend to. Still working on it. I appreciate everyone's input.

1.look down on them

It is an interesting subject. I think it's important to realize that NOT everyone was racist back then. It might have been worse to be racist back then than it is now, because you were most likely not thinking for yourself. At least if you're a racist now, you're probably doing your own thinking. You're not getting it all from the public consciousness.

I like to wonder what parts of our personalities the next generations are going to look at, shake their heads, and say "everyone was like that back then."

Last edited:
1.look down on them

I'd have more respect for myself if I would try to engage them in a conversation about it. Sort of a modified 2 if I had to choose from your list. Modified in that I wouldn't go in with the goal of explaining that they're wrong. I think that would usually end in frustration for everyone.

What I usually do is a modified 4. I will usually just withdraw a bit from the conversation or the situation. Enough that I hope it is noticeable, but not enough to be confrontational.

MrX

It is an interesting subject. I think it's important to realize that NOT everyone was racist back then. It might have been worse to be racist back then than it is now, because you were most likely not thinking for yourself. At least if your a racist now, you're probably doing your own thinking. You're not getting it all from the public consciousness.

I like to wonder what parts of our personalities the next generations are going to look at, shake their heads, and say "everyone was like that back then."

"you're" (sorry couldn't resist...rare opportunity)

I would like to think that the next generation will be less materialistic and spend more time focusing on friends and family , than working 60 hour weeks and worrying about keeping up with the Jones' Living simpler so that others may simply live. Other bumper sticker slogans yada yada. This experience has taught me a lot about what is important in life. I want the next generation to slow down and say that the pace at which we live is crazy and unsustainable. It's all about balance.

MrX

It is an interesting subject. I think it's important to realize that NOT everyone was racist back then. It might have been worse to be racist back then than it is now, because you were most likely not thinking for yourself. At least if your a racist now, you're probably doing your own thinking. You're not getting it all from the public consciousness.

or you can say the guy is a true hater if he's going out of his way today.
I guess to me its the degree. I mean if a guy likes racist jokes or doesn't feel a connection with someone thats different from holding power over people etc..

IAG
"you're" (sorry couldn't resist...rare opportunity)

Dammit, and you immortalized it. Weird that I did it in a sentence that has the proper "you're" 4 words later.

MrX
Dammit, and you immortalized it. Weird that I did it in a sentence that has the proper "you're" 4 words later.
I noticed that! lol.

IAG
I think I would want to do something legacy worthy, but for my own pre-death contentment /satisfaction

I agree with this to a large extent. Something I find about as massively tragic as it gets: Van Gogh.

Guy only ever sold 1 painting while he was alive. 1. He was a nobody who lived and died without ever having any idea of his impact on the future. While he probably (hopefully) had some sense of security that he had talent, he must also have carried huge feelings of doubt and failure and puzzlement.

I would guess he lived his whole life and died with feelings - at least suppressed feelings - of being a fuck up.

So in terms of this topic - a Van Gogh situation is of little use to me. A level of pre-death knowledge of the legacy is important.

So... will you finish that fokken rock opera already? You're almost 60 ferchristssake.