Soccer And The Art Of Diving

Polaroid

I need a tittle
Since
Jan 21, 2010
Score
Tokens
The art of diving in soccer, called simulation by FIFA and cheating by everyone else, is where a player tries to gain an unfair advantage by falling to the ground in the manner by which it seems that a foul has been committed but in reality has not. It's a definite blight on the game, has been the subject of psychological studies and is often cited by North American sports fans as a reason why they don't want to watch The Beautiful Game.

jamacaacf.jpg

A definitive answer of whether a player has dived is a tough call for a referee who must make an on-the-spot decision with no help from video replays and with no post match rules in place to punish the offender. So, as long as the current rules are in place, the referees are forced to ascertain whether the players are truthfully hurt or are vying for an Academy Award. Unfortunately, Kaj Ennigaro of the Faroe Isles didn't read the right book on how to perform and get away with the perfect dive in a recent game. Rule number one is never to attempt it when the referee is about a foot away and looking right at you, perhaps that chapter is missing from the Faroe Island Diving Handbook.

Ennigaro should do a little further research before making another attempt, perhaps even from the Master the Brazilian Rivaldo. If you're going to take a dive, do it on the biggest stage in the world and what bigger stage is there than the World Cup? In the 2002 World Cup group match against Turkey, Rivaldo pulled off the most ridiculous dive in front of a worldwide audience and managed to get an opposition player sent off.

good one polaroid. saw that first one a few days ago on espn.

Saw it on home page...Solid write-up there polaroid :cheers:

Don't they give out yellows and reds now too for dives? This is where you might need to look at tapes after the match and suspend that Brazilian for a match or whatever?

Suspensions seem like a good idea to me. It's like old-fashioned hardcore mothering.

"You wanna cry? I'll give you something to really cry about!"

Would love to see an article here on the art of Fighting in Hockey (what is the purpose of it and why do players are not automatically ejected after the first punch and suspended for 5-10 games at a time or banned for life if repeated offenders).

Also if there is time would love to see an article on the art of Arguing with the Umpire in Baseball (why do managers do it since the umpire will not change his mind and why does the umpire is allowing the manager to verbally abuse him for long periods of time but can't fight like men do in hockey).

And lastly would like to see an article on the art of Crying for a Foul Call in the NBA (where Kobe or any of the other big stars will scream and frown after an alleged non-call and the ref will oblige by calling a foul on the next play where the star wasn't even touched to "even" things out..whatever that means).

Pavy, no fighting in hockey and nobody will really go to games? At least in Philly, Broad St Bullies days with the Flyers brought out even the boxing fans to watch a hockey game. First year that i can ever remember that there are playoff tickets available for a Flyers game? Even though they won the first round, the true fan knows they don't deserve to win the Cup.

Parity might seem good in hockey but sometimes the best teams aren't around late for a chance at the Cup. Would anyone want to see Montreal, Philly, or Boston in the Finals? Okay, you people up north who have nothing else to do might want to see Montreal! I love Canadian GL posters!
:canada: :poutine: You too Matty!

And the NBA! Pisses me off too! NBA referring makes me never want to place a bet!
:mudcat:

You tell em Pavy. Its all part of the game. Now a days I'm screaming to Ronaldinho to dive in the area so he get a penalty kick and cash the Over.

You tell em Pavy. Its all part of the game. Now a days I'm screaming to Ronaldinho to dive in the area so he get a penalty kick and cash the Over.

Exactly it's part of the game. If you don't like it don't watch the game. It only happens in a few games maybe once and the refs are now giving yellow cards for the offenders. Every sport has stupid things happening and people still watch it.

Don't they give out yellows and reds now too for dives? This is where you might need to look at tapes after the match and suspend that Brazilian for a match or whatever?

I think Rivaldo was fined the his play acting but nothing that would hurt in in his pocket.

There are currently no rules in place to look at dives after the game has ended. There was an interesting trial done in Germany concerning handball - if a player was suspected of using his hands when scoring a goal, the referee could ask him directly. If he admitted it, a free kick was awarded to the opposition; if he lied the match tapes showed he used his hands, he got a lengthy ban. That would translate to diving very well.

Also if there is time would love to see an article on the art of Arguing with the Umpire in Baseball (why do managers do it since the umpire will not change his mind and why does the umpire is allowing the manager to verbally abuse him for long periods of time but can't fight like men do in hockey).

If a manager argues with an umpire, it increases the morale of the team and makes them perform better for the next half inning. Well, that's how it works when I play on my Xbox.