Questioning the NCAA tournament format. Blasphemy?

• Start date
  • Replies 19 Comments
  • Views 1,227 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
I understand the excitement created by having nothing but single-elimination games, but I find it unfair to the top teams who have played so well to get there. The regular season has very little meaning (except to borderline teams with no shot at winning the tourney.)

Like suppose the NBA proposed a neutral site, single-elimination tourney. Financial considerations aside, I can just imagine the squawking. Too much allowance for flukes. No reward for elite regular season performance. I think those arguments apply to the NCAA.

I guess what I'm saying is I think they have focused too much on bald excitement and too little on crowning a true champion.

My 2 cents.

If you went to a multiple game format, you'd need to narrow the field significantly. Typically, that wouldn't be fair to the mid-majors who really haven't had a chance to prove/disprove their worth throughout the season. Personally, I love it just how it is even though they are considering increasing the field.

There is no way in hell the NCAA would switch it to a "series" type thing, they pretend these kids are "student athletes" and that would make them miss too much class time.

That is why they say they won't change the bowl system to a playoff in football.

If you went to a multiple game format, you'd need to narrow the field significantly.

Yes. I could do without the Arkansas-Pine Bluffs and Morgan States of the world.

I'd like teams that play well in the regular season to earn a home court advantage for key games.

(Well actually I don't give a shit. From a betting perspective, I am just fine with it as it stands. But in terms of the argument for crowning a true champion, I think the regular season should mean something.)

Yes. I could do without the Arkansas-Pine Bluffs and Morgan States of the world.

What about Morehead State? (Tee hee.)

It is a strange format, and makes it a bit of a lottery.

theres no such thing as a perfect solution to find best team in NCAA football or bball.

this is the way it should be..... I understand non US-born people questioning it....... but ya just don't understand

I'd like teams that play well in the regular season to earn a home court advantage for key games.

(Well actually I don't give a shit. From a betting perspective, I am just fine with it as it stands. But in terms of the argument for crowning a true champion, I think the regular season should mean something.)

So you're anti-Cinderella? The regular season does mean something - at-large bids and seeding in the tourney.

So you're anti-Cinderella? The regular season does mean something - at-large bids and seeding in the tourney.

I am absolutely anti-cinderella....makes for boring basketball in the end. I want the big guys going at it all the time.

that's what she/rogue scholar said

I am absolutely anti-cinderella....makes for boring basketball in the end. I want the big guys going at it all the time.

I wouldn't call the games with Murray St., Northern Iowa, Cornell, or St. Mary's boring. This year especially, its really hard to make an argument against lower seeds being competitive in games.

I wouldn't call the games with Murray St., Northern Iowa, Cornell, or St. Mary's boring. This year especially, its really hard to make an argument against lower seeds being competitive in games.

This is year has been a little different but St. Mary's got blown out of the water on Friday...which is usually what happens. If the title game is Butler vs. Baylor....I am not going to even watch 10 seconds of that game. It doesn't interest me in the slightest. I would much rather see the kansases of the world play the Dukes of the world

the tournament beats the hell out of having predetermined bowl games to elect a champion

This is year has been a little different but St. Mary's got blown out of the water on Friday...which is usually what happens. If the title game is Butler vs. Baylor....I am not going to even watch 10 seconds of that game. It doesn't interest me in the slightest. I would much rather see the kansases of the world play the Dukes of the world

I've always been one to root for the underdog in life and in sports. Fuck the Dukes. Give me the Butlers.