• Replies 11 Comments
  • Views 884 Views

Mudcat

yap
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
did those sports/athletes gain any momentum in your mind? Do you still follow them?

I have to be honest: I do not.

I was noticing a couple times in the recent days where I would hear a radio report mentioning names I recognized as Canadian medal winners. Like I heard reports today about silver medalist Jenn Heil and multi-medalist Kristina Groves. I retained nothing. I could not tell you what they did. In one ear, out the other.

I have unceremoniously discarded them like so much fishwrap.

Who could follow them? There's no coverage of any international type sports here. It's a once in 4 years type of thing.

I'd have a better chance of following the chicken wing eating champion. Even you Canadians, I think, would be surprised at the lack of interest in the US. But they're crazy about club teams and regional college sport.
This why Americans didn't really get why the Olympic hockey was so important to you.

I sense that the local all-sports radio station is making a special effort to keep the momentum going and giving extra reports on international moguls skiing and long-track speed-skating etc. They better hope not everyone is like me.

I have no renewed interest in the NHL after the Olympic hockey. None whatsoever.

Apparently this weekend's Brier final (Canadian curling championship) had a record TV viewing audience. Maybe that related to the Olympics. I actually paid less attention than usual being, perhaps, a little curled out. I'll follow the World Championships but no more or less than usual.

I'm the typical American that doesnt give a shit about winter sports.
I didnt watch more than about 20 minutes of the entire Olympics.
Dont care about the summer olympics either

As much as I enjoyed watching the Winter Olympics, my interest in the individual sorts has not increased.
Still watch Downhill Skiiing, Ski Jump and Curling when there is coverage

I follow some brazilain (summer) athletes for a long time.

Yeah, nobody cares. So if your an Olympian, youbetter grab the spotlight when you can cause I have already forgot who won what what sports they are in.

The thing I have such mixed feelings about is the hockey. I really, really hope they continue to send NHL players to the Olympics. But if I am any indication, it is bad business. The Olympics did not create even a tiny ripple of extra interest in the NHL for me.

Hopefully it did for other people.

It's certainly understandable. I mean when you got differing styles of play from different countries competing in a hockey tournament that's interesting. (although this year was kind of weak). Plus you got whatever patriotic feelings.
Then you got to go back to caring about Pittsburgh vs Anaheim. I mean that's a substantial drop-off.