Post Your Current Credit Score

• Start date
  • Replies 217 Comments
  • Views 27,063 Views
it's not too late wally, you can rebound it fairly quick, a pair of years it can be done, you just got to do your homework

Get a secured CC for like $500 and use that while you let the other shit fall off your credit report. Ask me how I know.

Wally here's the rules with the secured cards or any other cards and it REALLY works:

• Pay it below 50% it helps
  • Pay it below 30% it REALLY helps

So two of my cards just had annual fees come around...Amex gold $150 and Chase/United $80.00 I have no balance on either but I have reward points on them. The due date for both is in the next couple days and I have rewards coming on both. I think I have up to 30 days to close the account and not have the annual fee applied. Was thinking about not paying right now (only charge on each card) and using my points and then closing both accounts before the 30 days are up and I am considered late.

I have had both cards over 10 years..would like to keep,but don't need them. I primarily use the Chase Sapphire now and think that is comparable to the Amex benefits. I have never attempted to have an annual fee waived before although I have heard of it being done. If I could keep both cards with no annual fee, I would do so but I'm not paying $230 for cards I don't need unless there is a good reason to.

Any tips on getting them to waive my fee? My scores are up to 780/786 so they know I have options, but I didn't use either card much last year, so I'm not making them any money on interest or transaction fees. I closed two accounts due to annual fees already this year, and neither one offered to keep it open w/o the fee, which surprised me. I thought they would send me to loyalty department and try to work a deal but no, they just closed them per my request. ..anyone have any luck with this? Anyone have any tricks?

Sure, tell them to close the account and when they ask why tell them it's because of that fee. If they say yes, great. If they say no then it's oh, I guess I can keep the card anyway have a good night. Who cares what the person who fields that call thinks, you'll never speak again.

Sure, tell them to close the account and when they ask why tell them it's because of that fee. If they say yes, great. If they say no then it's oh, I guess I can keep the card anyway have a good night. Who cares what the person who fields that call thinks, you'll never speak again.
True. I would feel kind of stupid, but yeah...I could ask about the points and if they say I lose them, then I could say well just hold off for now.

I always think I should keep them all "just in case," but I got all those damn cards earlier in the year when I was on the miles kick and all will be coming around for annual fees after first year free, so I really have to make some decisions. ...problem is I haven't been able to use the miles on most, and I think I lose them if I don't renew the cards. Is there a legit place to sell them? I think it's against cardmember policy, but I have heard of people doing that.

Where are Blitty and Boner when I need them? I'm sure they know the ins and outs of which cards are best and who will wheel and deal..

Yeah call them and ask them to waive the annual fee or you will close the account because of the cost.

I do this (successfully) with Capital One every year, I also ask them to waive the overlimit fee when interest charges puts my card over the limit - it happens a couple of times every year. They have never refused.

Yeah call them and ask them to waive the annual fee or you will close the account because of the cost.

I do this (successfully) with Capital One every year, I also ask them to waive the overlimit fee when interest charges puts my card over the limit - it happens a couple of times every year. They have never refused.

I tried that with one of my Cap One cards earlier this year, and they just closed it. Actually I guess I didn't ask them to waive it, but I told them why I was closing it and they didn't try to sway me. I guess I hadn't used it, and I had another Cap One card with no fee...it's probably easy for them to justify waiving if you are making a lot of transactions, but I pretty much just use the one card right now.

I just have the emergency mentality and don't want to close if I don't have to...but $150 is excessive.

Just called to close the Chase United Plus card. $85 fee. They didn't try to stop me...but I have two other Chase cards so nbd. I get to keep the miles already accrued so that's good. A little surprised that they didn't try to wheel and deal as I've had that card forever.

Amex will usually not waive your fee on the gold. Use the points and then cancel and you'll get a pro-rata refund of the $150 you pay via check (or statement credit if you have another amex acct). That gold card is probably the single worst card on the market.

Amex will usually not waive your fee on the gold. Use the points and then cancel and you'll get a pro-rata refund of the $150 you pay via check (or statement credit if you have another amex acct). That gold card is probably the single worst card on the market.

Good to know. I used to use this all the time since it forced me to pay off monthly (until they started allowing it as a credit and not charge card) and it's perrrty....but I think Saphhire is better. Why do you say worst card...just cuz the annual fee?

Yeah. The fee and the lack of benefits. I suppose there's a scenario where the gold charge card is beneficial to the user, probably an "events goer" type of person who is generally price indifferent. They DO secure event tickets and "experiences" that seem to be unique. But who honestly uses that stuff? I think I got really good seats to a Cirque show in Vegas once in the three years I had the card. Even all the travel services cost additional fees, so what the hell are you buying for $150? Access to the fee services? Not to mention Amex in general is worthless when traveling abroad. The exclusivity of the card is not even genuine. Sure it's nice to feel exclusive, but everyone can get it now that it's a credit card (even before). Don't get me wrong I had one, and I know some people who get good value from the Platinum ($450/yr. fee), but with decent credit and a full menu of cards to choose from I'd rather have one that either 1) pays me with benefits > annual fee or 2) simply doesn't have a fee.

Yeah. The fee and the lack of benefits. I suppose there's a scenario where the gold charge card is beneficial to the user, probably an "events goer" type of person who is generally price indifferent. They DO secure event tickets and "experiences" that seem to be unique. But who honestly uses that stuff? I think I got really good seats to a Cirque show in Vegas once in the three years I had the card. Even all the travel services cost additional fees, so what the hell are you buying for $150? Access to the fee services? Not to mention Amex in general is worthless when traveling abroad. The exclusivity of the card is not even genuine. Sure it's nice to feel exclusive, but everyone can get it now that it's a credit card (even before). Don't get me wrong I had one, and I know some people who get good value from the Platinum ($450/yr. fee), but with decent credit and a full menu of cards to choose from I'd rather have one that either 1) pays me with benefits > annual fee or 2) simply doesn't have a fee.
Yeah. I have never used any of that. I do get some pre sale stuff thru my Citi card which I have never used but intend to, but none of those Citi cards have fees. You convinced me.

If you want to maintain an Amex solely for pre-sale just get a zero fee clear/blue and set it aside.

If you want to maintain an Amex solely for pre-sale just get a zero fee clear/blue and set it aside.
Oh actually I have one of those..ha. I forgot about that. Account is open but I haven't used it and think I cut up the card. It has a much smaller limit, but I hear what you are saying on the pre-sale.

811 Transunion
812 Equifax. personal record

:chickendance:

I should probably think about a real job soon to prevent a personal low.

And still not in jail.
Sadcat should be perfectly clear that he has done nothing that would warrant him being in jail. Sadcat is an upstanding feline type.