Ordering a laptop online

• Start date
  • Replies 71 Comments
  • Views 4,272 Views
So I sold a iPad and two cell phones I wasn’t using on USell recently. They offer a pretty good service. From mailing date to PayPal deposit was 21 days. I wasn’t doing anything with them and an extra $300 didn’t hurt.

The bad thing about those refurb MacBook Air is that they are the previous generation which hadn't been refreshed internally for 4 years, so that's 2015 tech inside. For a couple of hundreds not bad, but $500+ no way. If Windows is no go then just get the base 2020 edition MacBook Air which was updated last month for $1000 bucks. Those aren't so bad and you're set for the next 5 years.

Guys, I’m not a tech guy. My only experiences with Windows laptops is malware and more malware.
I’m not saying you guys are wrong.
Why Apple for me as of now!

Once Apple computers became popular they became attractive targets for lotsa that crap. Its still less than pc for sure but that value has gone down significantly.
Have heard this to be the case!

Just got my wife's computer in yesterday. Same as the one I bought a few years ago on Black Friday. Lenovo Yoga 740. Solid state hard drive was a big key for me. Paid $899 for hers I believe. I have never had issues with mine so I assume hers will work just as well.
Food for thought on next purchase but if in same bells and whistles level as an Apple, price difference doesn't appear that great?

All good posts and have been giving me thought on maybe there is a laptop out there other than Apple that has better value for the buck! :dunno: I'm a loyal consumer who doesn't chase a few bucks saved when having relatively few issues with particular business/product! :yes:

Last edited:
MCB, looks like a very good laptop and the way to go if NO Apple! Two good recent reviews and more! Plus BB consumers seem to like it!

Thought Lenovo was new company but I guess not! Though with what we're going through, I don't particularly like where they originated from! Though they have a NC facility that employs 3000 people! :up

I have a lot of time on my hands! :)

Can't go wrong with those Lenovos. They make great laptops.

Microsoft Surface Laptop is also a great Macbook Air equivalent for Windows. That's what I'm on now.

What’s the most reliable place/link to find out what a good condition 2017 MacBook Air (13”) is really worth?

it has a 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB memory

ebay completed sales from obvious mass resellers. For a product like that the price discovery/efficiency on eBay is second to none.

I've been using Windows/PC's since 1997 and have not had a virus or malware since 1998. WTF are you guys doing to get malware etc?

Windows 10 is especially solid. I just use Windows Defender, no third-party antivirus. Last virus I got was during the Windows XP era.

Thats true. I've sold dozens of old ones from garage sales.. seems like even the broken old ones are worth $100.

On the malware front I've def gotten viruses/malware on many pcs. I just save my tax returns and reformat.

@roguejuror will this laptop be obsolete in 2-3 years?

no, this one will still be within Apple's update range for the next 3 or 4 years, worst that could be happen is the keyboard breaks down as this series had bad keyboard design but they got sued in Europe for it and they'll repair it regardless of warranty if it happens

software wise is still good to use, I use a 2012 iMac and it's still within the updates range, so with your light browsing use you'll be fine with it

my only objection would be how much you'll pay for it compared to getting a new one and the lower resolution these have, I know a girl that has this very exact model and it's alright

no, this one will still be within Apple's update range for the next 3 or 4 years, worst that could be happen is the keyboard breaks down as this series had bad keyboard design but they got sued in Europe for it and they'll repair it regardless of warranty if it happens

software wise is still good to use, I use a 2012 iMac and it's still within the updates range, so with your light browsing use you'll be fine with it

my only objection would be how much you'll pay for it compared to getting a new one and the lower resolution these have, I know a girl that has this very exact model and it's alright

Thanks, pally. I knew you would cover all of the bases. :cheers:

I just bought it about an hour ago. I know the owner (and they’ve owned it since it was new).

it’s had an Apple hard case on it the whole time also.

$400

95% of my web browsing has been on an iPhone for the last 5 years. Looking forward to browsing G-Live on a laptop!

I’m pretty confident he could have gotten $500 for it

not bad, even better that is from a single owner and not the refurb cycle (which usually means repaired)

:boxcleanersdaddy:

It's funny being able to see everyone's avatar much clearer

So I have the original receipt for my MacBook

It was $1,299 new

And it was purchased with AppleCare ($249). I’m not certain but I feel like buying Apple Care is pissing money away. Genius Bar @ Apple has always fixed (or replaced) any issues I’ve had in the last 17 years (at no extra charge).