• Replies 16 Comments
  • Views 853 Views

reno cool

Fuck You Mocha Joe
Since
Jan 29, 2010
Score
Tokens
I can't distinguish the last 20 years of my life. I know I became pro in '99, graduated in '89 and '93. Came to America in 1980. And there were other notable years.
But can I tell the difference between 2009 and 2013? :dunno:
Is this normal?

Reno, this distresses you? Pal its been like this for over 25 years for me.

I can remember very specific things from the 1970's - 1990's but after 1999 it feels like its been one very fucking long year.

Like when I moved to Windsor. That was 2013. I very vividly remember saying to myself "wow, I've only been here 3 months, time is slow".

Now I've been here 7 years and cant tell 2015 from 2018 etc etc. It doesn't feel like 7 years has gone by. Then again I don't feel 53. I feel 33.
The mirror constantly reminds me I'm not anywhere near 33 yrs old.

It seems wrong brother Plom. But I guess it's common. I have images of seemingly mundane events of the past pop into my head over and over. And I can remember what year albums came out in the 80's. Don't ask me about dates on anything after No More Tears or possibly Rage Against The Machine 1st album. ...
But the only way I can tell the years now is complicated subtraction :grin: ...well, I lived in this apartment 8 or 9 years, gamelive started in 2010 etc

btw, of the top of my head Moving Pictures '82

btw, of the top of my head Moving Pictures '82
Went to my first concert EVER in 1982 as a 16 yr old. Of course, it was RUSH, at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.

I also remember my grandfathers (dads dad) funeral in Aug 1982 and going to the hospital prior to his death to say goodbye as he lay paralyzed in a hospital bed.

I remember 1997 because that was the year my grandmother died and I took some of her furniture to furnish my new apt.

So the theme here is obvious. Death. I remember all the deaths of friends and loved ones over the years.

My first funeral was for a childhood friend named Billy Park that was a teammate of mine. He was killed on the side of the highway by a car. That was 1978 (I was 12) and I can still picture the kid in the casket at the funeral home my mother took me to so I could say goodbye.

:yes:

my 1st concert was Pink Floyd in '87
My favorite was Black Sabbath original line up around 2000 as part of Ozzfest. But overall was underwhelmed by big shows, enjoyed no name bands at dive bars etc more

I wish I could remember all the concerts I went to as a teenager, but we were always stoned out of our minds and couldn't remember the concert the next day. I do remember the excitement of a Rush show in Toronto though. It was truly a spectacle and quite an event.

The other thing I remember about the 80's was Laser Floyd and Laser Zeppelin alternating weekends at the McLaughlin Planetarium. Again, always very stoned on pot but good times definitely.
Sad to hear the place is being demolished. We used to take school trips to the place and learn about the universe on a fantastic 360 degree screen/
image-asset.jpeg

A campaign to save the McLaughlin Planetarium, slated for demolition on the University of Toronto campus, is gaining momentum.

planetarium-current-day.jpg

oh yeah, somehow Pink Floyd and planetarium was a thing. I remember seeing Dark Side of the Moon in Denver's

oh yeah, somehow Pink Floyd and planetarium was a thing. I remember seeing Dark Side of the Moon in Denver's

Maybe not so impressive now, but very much so in the early 80's. Getting high and watching this stuff was tons of fun.

Last edited:
yeah, I even worked in a library my senior year in High School. I was a shitty worker. But that $10 for a 3 hour shift was not bad

Maybe not so impressive now, but very much so in the early 80's. Getting high and watching this stuff was tons of fun.
somehow I remember it being cooler. Maybe you had to be under the dome

"Omg". Are you a teenager?

Seriously, this has been bothering me for years. Thanks for raising this issue. I feel the same as RJ. The last seven years have been a blur except for bad news and death. If your life is routine for every fucking day for so long and there is nothing new, how will your memory distinguish between the years? I can distinctly remember most of the years preceding that spell. Why? Because there was some change in life every few years.

Begs the question, you know how they say old people, all they got is memories?
I dont know if anybody actually sits around pleasantly thinking about their memories.