MrX

never had an intact pistachio club
Since
Jan 27, 2010
Score
Tokens
I road a 132 year old bicycle, today.

imgac8dfd729ea47d019740ba00a6f246b7.jpg

1882 Century Expert. That was pretty cool. I'm pretty sure I'll never ride an older bike than that.

Speed I suppose. No gears/chain drive, so the simplest way to reduce pedaling effort is to make the wheel bigger.

I'm just guessing.

how old of a bike helmet did you wear?

I feel for the little wheel at the back. Poor little guy.

Speed I suppose. No gears/chain drive, so the simplest way to reduce pedaling effort is to make the wheel bigger.

I'm just guessing.

I didn't notice the no-chain part.

what are the tires made of?

Solid rubber, held in place by an internal wire that runs the circumference of the wheel. Any rideable bikes this old are not on the original rubber, though.

I'm just guessing.

Exactly right. The larger wheel also smooths the ride. They were not ridden on pavement, of course.

how old of a bike helmet did you wear?

I wore a bowler hat. I never wear a helmet on these things, which is extremely dumb ('cause they're deathtraps), but a helmet feels so period-inauthentic.

I can ride these a little ways on the front wheel only, like a unicycle (I've ridden unicycles since I was a kid).

I did not attempt this on the 130 year old bike, as I believe its owner would probably never let me back on if I did that.

Bike above sure looks like it has wooden "tires".

I see how it looks like wood, but it's definitely old rubber.

How does one mount a bike such as this? Stool? How does the bike stay upright without a kickstand?

Left foot on that mounting peg above the rear wheel, give it a push and stand up on peg, swing right leg up over the seat and hop up.

I have no idea how the bike is defying gravity in this photo.